Cannot install Expansion Packs

jevs

I have expansion packs 4 through 8 and both mega packs. All the expansion packs that work (or should work). Had 6.5 and installed 7 upgrade disc.

So far the first one will not install. I was able to redirect it to the right directory, but then once it was done writing the files I get this:

KEError 16087: Unable to spawn the Launcher automatically. To complete installation of this product, you must run the launcher manually and enter the serial number(s) as directed.

So, how do I run the launcher automatically?

What a pain. I have other things to do in life....

And yes I saw the pulling data over from old install thread after I uninstalled RF6.5 since RF7 installed as a new program and left 6.5 there. RF7 gave no indication I would need to do this. I also thought it would be a good time to fresh install my expansion packs and get rid of all the downloaded swap files (some have issues and wanted a clean slate).

Last edited:
Even though I got that error and never entered a serial number, it appears all of the Expansion Pack 4 stuff is there except:

Kemp R/C Field - 3D

How can I get this one?

Same thing with expansion 5.
KEError 16087: Unable to spawn the Launcher automatically. To complete installation of this product, you must run the launcher manually and enter the serial number(s) as directed.

Even though I never enter a serial number, I appear to have everything except:

deHavilland Beaver

You are better off just COPYING the files from your prior installation as I've noted elsewhere.

Same thing with expansion 6.

Even though I never enter a serial number, I appear to have everything:

It really stinks that they list the things in the expansion with different names than actually used in RF, makes it hard to find them to verify they are there.

It appears that the target files were successfully written to the Data folders.

You should first check they are indeed there.

I believe that you missed a step.

The serial number registration must be done with elevated privileges.

That means you must right click on the RF7 launcher and select "run as administrator". That gives the launcher the rights to spawn off the serial registration window with the proper elevated privileges.

Same error with expansion pack 7 KEError 16087....etc

Also getting this error when switching between airports at times:
An unexpected error has occurred. Would you like to send an error report to Knife Edge Software?

When you click yes the RF shuts down and you have to restart.

This gets better an better....wasted half a Saturday so far. Aggravating. People that buy RF7 for the first time and then buy expansion packs are in for a treat.

Missing stuff from Expansion pack 7:
ElectriFly® Evader™ EDF
Paper Airplane

It appears that the target files were successfully written to the Data folders.

You should first check they are indeed there.

I believe that you missed a step.

The serial number registration must be done with elevated privileges.

That means you must right click on the RF7 launcher and select "run as administrator". That gives the launcher the rights to spawn off the serial registration window with the proper elevated privileges.

If I run Launcher7.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight7 using "Run as Administrator". I get :
KEError 21051: Unknown Product Code

same with LauncherG4 and G5

Installed expansion 8 same issues as others
Right after the error I tried to run LauncherG5.exe and ReaFlight.exe and setup2.exe from the disc as administrator and just get:
Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version
File "NLVSCAN2.dll", error 126

Tried to run LauncherG4.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight7 and get:
KEError 21051: Unknown Product code

Tried to run LauncherG5.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight7 and get:

Tried to run Launcher7.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight7 and get:

Also, I am the admin of this computer. It is my main PC running windows 8.

Stuff missing from Expansion 8:
Wedell-Williams Model 44 (Gilmore Red Lion)

Helicopter Megapack. No errors, it auto-ran RF 7 at end of install.
It never asked for any serial number or code.

Appear to be missing:
Curtis Youngblood Rave ENV 700
Hind Mi-24

Airplane Megapack. No errors, it auto-ran RF 7 at end of install.
It never asked for any serial number or code.

Appear to be missing:
F5D Pylon Racer
Hotliner
Lawnmower

Everything is installed. I never got asked for any serial numbers except for RF7. This should make things easy for pirates.

I am missing (or they are named something entirely different):

Kemp R/C Field - 3D
deHavilland Beaver
ElectriFly® Evader™ EDF
Paper Airplane
Wedell-Williams Model 44 (Gilmore Red Lion)
Curtis Youngblood Rave ENV 700
Hind Mi-24
F5D Pylon Racer
Hotliner
Lawnmower

How can I get these models and the one flying field? I paid for these and feel like I should be able to have them in RF7. However, I am not going to spend another 8 hours of my time to get them. This ruined my Saturday and I just worked 12 days straight with OT :(

So, someone from KE needs to send them to me so I can import them.

Last edited:
Everything is installed. I never got asked for any serial numbers except for RF7. This should make things easy for pirates.

Not really RF7 picks up the serials you used for prior versions.

Do a diagnostic dump and you'll see that the serials you used before are all there.

How do I do a diagnostics dump?

Is it pulling them from the registry or some location that did not get uninstalled when 6.5 was uninstalled?

jevs, it sounds like something is wrong with your RealFlight 7 installation.

When installing any of the Expansion Packs/Mega Packs, the installer should automatically detect the location of your RealFlight installation and fill in the correct installation directory for you. (If you have multiple versions of RealFlight installed, it will ask you which one to install for.)

The fact that you had to tell it where to install is a big red flag. Is it possible you're experiencing this problem? I think it would explain the other symptoms you're describing.

I assure you that serial numbers are still required. It is a safe assumption that you elected to leave yours intact when you uninstalled 6.5, and that is why you did not need to reenter them. That is expected behavior.

You definitely should not try running all those different executables directly. The only supported way of running the Launcher is via the desktop or start menu shortcuts that are installed along with RealFlight. If you're missing those as well, that is yet another huge red flag.

We moved a lot of EP/MP content to the main product in RealFlight 7. It is now simply part of RealFlight, no additional purchase required. That means as far as RealFlight 7 is concerned, that content quite literally no longer even exists in the EP/MPs where it first appeared.

The majority of that content is available immediately. Some items were reserved as rewards, though, to be unlocked after earning medals in the various challenges.

None of those scenarios seem to fit for me....

I had RF6.5 installed with every expansion pack and add-on that exists. No previous versions.

I put in my upgrade disc for RF 7 and installed it. No problems, it asked me for serials and I entered them. It worked fine.

I now saw a working RF7 and a 6.5. Without anything in the instructions or any prompts on what to do, I decided to uninstall the now seemingly useless 6.5 and just reinstall my expansion packs. I figured this would take a little bit, but I would have a fresh clean install. I just figured this is what you had to do.

It should have automatically done what it needed to do, but that is for the programmers to decide I suppose.

Once I saw that installing the expansion packs was not going to be smooth, that is when I started looking for solutions. Too late, RF 6.5 is gone. No data to move I assumed.

Regardless of how I should have known to install this (which I don't think I should have had to know any of this), I am now missing content.

My RF7 seems to be working fine. I have tried several models, several challenges, and a session of online ribbon cutting dogfights.

However, what I need to know now is......how do I get my missing content that I paid for? My old install of 6.5 is gone, and you can't expect people to have that forever. What if they lost a hard drive or their computer crashed and they needed to install fresh?

I am only missing one flying field and a few planes, but still.....I paid for them.

To be clear: what you're describing as far as installing the Expansion Packs is not typical and is not how it is supposed to work. You're seeing something that is both out of the ordinary and incorrect.

Why did you need to change the directory where you wanted them installed? That should not be necessary. Exactly what did it say before you changed it? And did you receive any error messages prior to that? You can pop one of the disks back in to answer these questions. Just exit without clicking Install when you're done.

I really want to be clear about this: the normal process is to insert an EP disk, select which version of RealFlight to install for only if more than one is present, then click Install. You should never need to touch the installation directory field. If you needed to for some reason, then something was already wrong. I assure you it works as I described for most users. I don't know what's going wrong on your system.

It does not require a 6.5 installation to be present any more than it requires a G2 installation to be present. (If you know what you're doing, and you already have the content installed for a previous version, then a shortcut is possible as opjose described. But that is not recommended for most users. It doesn't take all that long to reinstall EPs, anyway.)

However, what I need to know now is......how do I get my missing content that I paid for? ... I am only missing one flying field and a few planes, but still...

I addressed this above:

We moved a lot of EP/MP content to the main product in RealFlight 7. It is now simply part of RealFlight, no additional purchase required. That means as far as RealFlight 7 is concerned, that content quite literally no longer even exists in the EP/MPs where it first appeared.

The majority of that content is available immediately. Some items were reserved as rewards, though, to be unlocked after earning medals in the various challenges.

Incidentally, you did nothing wrong by uninstalling 6.5 after 7 was installed. It isn't strictly necessary, but unless you have a reason for keeping it around, you may as well save the space.

Back