getting a new computer

btw i was cleaning out my spare room and found expansion packes 4 & 5, guess i had even more than i thought :/)

Good deal. If you happen to find expansion pack 6, you won't need to download the add-ons. Expansion pack 6 includes all of the free add-ons and installs them for you.

Now you need to find the elusive expansion pack 3 and it's Cessna 310 that seems to be what people on the forums are wanting so bad.... :)

Last edited:
my controller says interlink plus...i believe its the one from g3, the "upgrade" was not a stand alone set up, i think it was just one disk...thats why i had asked about starting over if i need to load g3 first to get the actual program and stuff loaded, then add the upgrade, since i assume my upgrade doesn't contain all the operating files like g3 had...my controller works great, shouldn't need a new one unless i upgrade even more right?
looking at some other computers now, saw a quad core reasonably priced and even a 6 core for not much more, i will research both a little more, most likely will get one of those ...

When I upgraded from G4.5 (4 CD install) to RF7 (1 disk)upgrade, I thought the same thing. Turns out, the difference, was between the storage capacity, of the original CD's, and the newer DVD's. RF7, Full Install, came as, 1 DVD. Technology Huh? :D

yeh i dont think i have 3 for some reason...

Seems to be a lot of other people's problems too :D

As far as the computer goes, get the most horsepower you can as far as the graphic card goes. Realflight really depends on this for good performance. If you get a desktop PC without a dedicated card, at least ensure that you can upgrade it in the future with a better graphics card.

Last edited:
When I upgraded from G4.5 (4 CD install) to RF7 (1 disk)upgrade, I thought the same thing. Turns out, the difference, was between the storage capacity, of the original CD's, and the newer DVD's. RF7, Full Install, came as, 1 DVD. Technology Huh? :D

interesting, guess if the system dump thing or a copy paste/install doesn't work I'll try to just load the upgrade cd first and see what happens

I'm going to see how much the computer store will charge for a card thats not integrated then I'll decide to do it then or wait and try the system first....i looked up the one i saw on the faqs page, Radeon 4850, only around 65 bucks on eBay for new ones, half that for used ones, so not too bad...i think just a new system will be way better than what i have now :)...may be enough to keep me happy for a while

Radeon 4850 is a 8 year old video card. It is going to be slower than the integrated gpu on a newer CPU. When I said moderately priced video card, $150 to $170 is moderately prices for what you will need for RealFlight. For that you can get an Nvidia 750ti or an Radeon R7 370. For a new computer I wouldn't go any lower than that or you won't be doing much of an upgrade.

I went a little more and got a Nvidia 970gtx for $330 after rebate and I used it to upgrade a 6 year old Pc. The CPU is a AMD phenom X6 and has 8gb ram. The difference is night and day with realflight performance. It is no way near a high end gpu or card but in my research it gives me the best bang for the buck. Coming with Fallout 4 was a bonus :) (still a $60 game).

Last edited:
i was kinda wondering if the newer integrated stuff was better, i saw that the 4850 came out in 08, thats what was recommend at the time i guess, so the new system may be good enough for me to start out with then....my system is pretty much maxed out so i dont want to try and do any more with it , have the fastest chip the motherboard supports, pc is probably 10 years or older and it wasnt even high end then :-(....its time for a new one :)...I'll check out those cards you mentioned and I'll ask the shop and see if there is any kind of deal, and make sure i can upgrade video at some point if not now , thanks

i was kinda wondering if the newer integrated stuff was better, i saw that the 4850 came out in 08, thats what was recommend at the time i guess, so the new system may be good enough for me to start out with then....my system is pretty much maxed out so i dont want to try and do any more with it , have the fastest chip the motherboard supports, pc is probably 10 years or older and it wasnt even high end then :-(....its time for a new one :)...I'll check out those cards you mentioned and I'll ask the shop and see if there is any kind of deal, and make sure i can upgrade video at some point if not now , thanks

It would behoove you to lean more to the Nvidia side of the line. AMD has what I would consider the worst support when it comes to their Driver support and updates. You can do your own research and you will probably come to the same Conclusion. Nvidia regularly updates their Drivers for their video cards and usually have no problems with them.

If your computer comes with the intergraded GPU, You probably could get away with trying it out for a bit, you could always add a Dedicated card at a later date. Just make sure you have a motherboard capable of installing a dedicated GPU down the line, and ensure you have at least a 500W power supply so that it can handle the new video card if you decide to go that route.

okay it’s been a while, things came up and wasn’t able to get a new pc till now, what i forgot to ask is after i save the serial numbers and that folder in my documents(probably to an external hard drive)..i’m guessin i should do an uninstall on the old pc before trashing it? cause setting up on a new one will think i’m trying to use it on 2 pcs which you can’t do right? i’m switching some things over today but will hold out till i know what i should do, thanks

If you need to get updates it may need to be de-registered from the old PC (RF7 and earlier). I do not believe this is a problem with RF-8 as you set up a password when you register for updates.

Just give them a call and they will take care of things so you can install it on a new pc and get the .5 update if needed. If your disc is 5.5 instead of 5 it's probably not an issue.

okay im on my new pc :) i saved the serial numbers and the real flight folder that was in my documents on the old pc, its on an external hard drive, i uninstalled it on the old pc, just installed from the rf 5 disk cause i think someone said its a stand alone and i dont need to load the old 3 first then 5, anyway it reregistered, i thought everything was going good, updated online registration and it said i was good to go, but when launching i get an error code cannot find import, dll may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version file d3dx9_36.dll error 126...im guessing since it has a dx it may be related to direct x, the set up told me it was going to ask to install direct x9, and if i knew i had 9 i could cancel that popup, i checked and i have version 12, i assumed 12 is better than 9 so thought it would work, so i did not do the direct x thing from the realflight set up...now what? it woulndt make sense to go back to 9 if 12 is a newer version right ?, i like this new pc so far and dont want to possibly mess something up

You Should Install the Version of DirectX, that came with the RealFlight Progrm.
This should Add the Files, to your Newer DirectX Version.
Files Specific to that (older) RF program, that Newer DirectX Versions may have omitted.
Check your PM

yeh actually found tons of stuff online pretty quick about this being common with windows 10, it comes with dx12, and doesn’t work with many “older” games people like, saw some patches that are supposed to fix it, some say they work, some say they aren’t compatible, others say causes crashes, 12 is supposed to be backward compatable but programs like this rf need those specific files like you said...not sure i want to take a chance , some of the fixes i saw are just dx9 insalations and doesn’t support windows 10...idk, ill keep reading up and decide what i want to do, sucks, bought a new pc cause some stuff wasn’t working with my old xp and rf was bad as far as performance with my old cpu, now the stuff that didn’t work works and stuff like this that worked doesn’t work

Try running RF in full screen mode instead of windowed. I have some older games that won't work if I run them windowed in Win10. For example : Postal 2

not really sure what ya mean or how to do it, it doesn’t open at all or ask me how to run it...this weekend i’ll have some time to play around with things...right now my gut is telling me not to mess with the dx12 like some of the fixes online suggest, i haven’t had a new pc for myself in a decade or so :rolleyes:...i don’t want to take a chance of messin it up by installing something older or not compatible like dx9....ill read up more this weekend

Buy a copy of RF-8 it's designed to work with Windows 10 and has the necessary DX9 files it needs integrated with it's install process so you don't have to worry about doing something wrong, and RF-8 is a very nice upgrade for you. It's okay to have DX9 installed with DX12 if it's done properly so don't worry about that part.

Back