What happened to RF-X? Why the abandonment?

Truckfan

I bought RF-X in May. Now I’ve purchased RF8 here in October. RF-X wouldn’t take any expansion packs’ but RF8 does. $20.00 Gift cert? What gives, Knifedge??????

I’ll bet there’s a back-story to this that only knife edge exec’s can explain........

:confused:

Its called keeping your company alive. I would rather they rethink their development strategy then stick to their original plan as the software gets a bad reputation and the company goes under.

Keep on Keeping on

Its called keeping your company alive. I would rather they rethink their development strategy then stick to their original plan as the software gets a bad reputation and the company goes under.

Well then Brianappj, you and your blind loyalty and your hard-earned dollars just keep on keeping Knifeedge alive.

Well then Brianappj, you and your blind loyalty and your hard-earned dollars just keep on keeping Knifeedge alive.
:( I strongly disagree with that sentiment. MY loyalty ISN'T blind. I didn't support RF-X because I couldn't tolerate/afford the insane video card requirement. And I bitched PLENTY about it here. If they can optimize RF-X to run on something less than an EXTREME gaming machine, they might have a winner. But KE seems to have learned their lesson. They didn't abandon us. And IMHO, RF8 (and KE) deserves our support. It runs very well on a more typical consumer-grade PC.

Last edited:

I am still on ver5 so I haven't done much to keep them alive so I don't deserve that compliment. Would you rather then never re evaluate their strategy and just keep going the RFX road to CH11? Widespread user reports of bad performance, software returns, a bad reputation starting to develop are all signs that an adjustment is in order. When buying early in a new product you take some risk, I have an HD DVD drive to prove that.
Even MS isn't arrogant enough to stick with a product plan despite user complaints. The XBOX ONE was supposed to be all digital, no DVD drive, and pack a kinect sensor in every box. They went back on all of that when the user base widely complained. I passed on RFX because from user reports I wouldn't be able to run it. Now I have an upgrade option with RF8 and if I get into VR it will be a no brainier. Since I don't have a VR system I won't be getting into RF8 yet.
Everyone must admit they NEED to have a product on hobby store shelves that the average system will be able to run acceptably and be a good user experience. RFX isn't that.

Everyone must admit they NEED to have a product on hobby store shelves that the average system will be able to run acceptably and be a good user experience. RFX isn't that.
I agree. From my personal experience, RF-8 IS that. It has some bugs, as I expect from ALL newly released software. But nothing that seems to be a show stopper.

Last edited:

they only care about money just like most of us. correct. like where is the upgrade for 7.5 users to 8? I don't see it?

they only care about money just like most of us. correct. like where is the upgrade for 7.5 users to 8? I don't see it?

I don't believe the upgrades have ever been free when the main release number goes up. Only the .5 upgrades. I'm sure we will see a free 8 to 8.5 at some point. RF-X is a work in progress but I don't think they've given up on it. I sold mine soon after I bought it and decided to wait for PC tech to be cheaper to run it.

I Believe the Proper Terminology is:
UpDate= 7.0-7.5. Updated within Product line = Free
UpGrade =7.0/7.5 - 8.0/8.(x) = New Product Line = Sold seperately

Last edited:
Look at FSX for an example. it came out in 2006. it took 10 years for an affordable machine capable of running it on full graphics optimization to come out.

Just to keep 12oclock happy I thought I had better chime in.

Silence speaks volumes and I have not heard a peep from the boys at knife edge and I don't believe we will. Again, there was never a need to create RFX and then follow it up with the same old and leave every RFX owner with a dud. I have said, RF 7.75 is the exact same as 7.5 but added VR. I can appreciate that but my god, the addition of extra blade thumping on the helis (which should have been added years ago) is sold as a upgrade?? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING oh and the glorious photo fields from 10 years ago, BRILLIANT!

Its the same old software with a couple tweaks and sound files. Give it a fancy new package, throw in VR and suck everybody in who bit on RFX and found out all on their own it's a absolute mess. Now they can buy a shiny new copy of RF 7.75 and have all the same old fields, models and so on, OH but don't forget the new sounds....What a laugh.

Shame on you KnifeEdge. Either compensate the RFX owners appropriately for a chance at "UPGRADING" (and I use that term loosely) to 7.75 or just fess up and tell us it was a huge mistake and we are basically screwed.

Last edited:
I bought into RF-X and was led to believe it was the next generation of RF. I would happily buy RF-8 but feel that KnifeEdge slighted its RF-X customers by not offering a reasonable upgrade path. RF-X was an abomination compared to version 7.x. While graphically stunning it was a turd. While I am happy they came to their senses and developed 8, it is unfair for me to eat their mistakes. KnifeEdge told me that if I was unhappy with X I can simply uninstall it. I have a very hard time supporting this company for this reason. I really wanted 8 in the first place. I have purchased every version of RF since its creation. Shame on you KnifeEdge!!!!!!! :(

Last edited:
2 products - both staying

RF-X and RF-8 are two products. A version that requires high end resources and the original product that does not need as much computing power.

We are soon to see a RFX update. By the end of the year. I would say just hang on for this release. If you are really into gaming, RF-X is your version.

RF-X and RF-8 are two products. A version that requires high end resources and the original product that does not need as much computing power.

We are soon to see a RFX update. By the end of the year. I would say just hang on for this release. If you are really into gaming, RF-X is your version.

I love fact RFX requires high end resources and the ridiculous 3d fields still look like something in a sim 8 years ago, and what a variety, you can choose desert desert or green field with not one extra thing on it..

It was sure nice to see KnifeEdge spend some extra time on 7.75 to give the end users a whole new experience...OH WAIT that was RFX and yes it still sucks...

This explains a lot

Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code the (Lanterman–Petris–Short Act or "LPS") which authorizes a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person suspected to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to themselves, a danger to others, and/or gravely disabled.

People who are complaining about RF8 are few and far between. Everyone I have talked to who has tried it prefer it over 7.5. Physics are different, for the better. Helicopters and planes fly better than in 7.5. This is worth the price of the upgrade. The poly limit being raised almost 5 fold for content creators is HUGE. definitely makes it worth the upgrade. Then there is the VR.... Also worth it for 99 bucks and less if you use a coupon, I had a 15% coupon from tower. Then there are the multirotors from the Drone Edition and their flight controllers we have access to in the editor. I definitely want to play around with those controllers in unorthodox aircraft to see what they can and can't do...

To say it's a 7.75 upgrade is just a uninformed comment since it is definitely much more than that. Just as 5 was different from 4.5 and 6 was different from 5.5 etc....

Back