Spektrum InterLink DX features and benefits

I'm loving RF9 but I had to get it on steam. anywhere I can get the new controller by itself?

I was going through the RF9 settings and I noticed that in sim/settings/controller that the default dead band was set at 10%. This should be 0% for interlink controllers. Less slop around centre stick.

I was going through the RF9 settings and I noticed that in sim/settings/controller that the default dead band was set at 10%. This should be 0% for interlink controllers. Less slop around centre stick.

Deadband is never applied to InterLink devices. There's nothing wrong with zeroing it out, but as noted in the setting description:

"Note: This setting does not apply to InterLink devices, which never have deadband applied."

For no good reason, RF9 apparently does not set itself up when initialized to take advantage of a fast system. If your frame rates are running 100-200 (or more!), go into all the settings and set for highest quality.

Having RF8 and 9 installed on the same computer, making it easy to compare, I do find RF9 is running higher frame rates than RF8 at the same exact conditions.

Deadband is never applied to InterLink devices. There's nothing wrong with zeroing it out, but as noted in the setting description:

"Note: This setting does not apply to InterLink devices, which never have deadband applied."

Thanks Jeremy. When I lowered it from 10% to 0% I thought I noticed a little more early movement on my heli blades but maybe I was just dreaming, lol!

Maybe you can answer me why the new Interlink dx controller does not work very well with RF8? For example, the top front left 3-way can only do 2x modes instead of 3. So I only get normal and idleup 2, no idleup 1.

Probably no big deal for me since I've gone to RF9 combo with the Interlink dx and am unlikely to use RF8 or my Interlink elite again. However, there may be a few guys who may want to upgrade/replace their RF8 controllers with the new Interlink DX. Thanks again Jeremy.

Last edited:
TomC, RealFlight 8 does not contain all of the advanced mapping software necessary to handle all of the new 3-position switches. Most importantly, it lacks new tri-state control type that we use to set up the 3-position switches on the DX in RF9.

The Tactic-based InterLink-X, with its 10 channels, maxed out the old system, and we had to rework switch handling for the InterLink DX's 15 channels.

These mapping features are a major improvement, and will offer better compatibility with other types of controllers, whether they're flight sticks, direct USB connections to high-end radios, or any other complex controller hardware.

To some degree, the controller implementation is invisible to the user, but each new controller we add requires serious development work. This was the largest controller update in quite some time.

TomC, RealFlight 8 does not contain all of the advanced mapping software necessary to handle all of the new 3-position switches. Most importantly, it lacks new tri-state control type that we use to set up the 3-position switches on the DX in RF9.

The Tactic-based InterLink-X, with it's 10 channels, maxed out the old system, and we had to rework switch handling for the InterLink DX's 15 channels.

These mapping features are a major improvement, and will offer better compatibility with other types of controllers, whether they're flight sticks, direct USB connections to high-end radios, or any other complex controller hardware.

To some degree, the controller implementation is invisible to the user, but each new controller we add requires serious development work. This was the largest controller update in quite some time.

Thanks again for your response Jeremy. It's a pity that you cannot do a simple (maybe not so simple, lol!) RF8 update to allow for compatibility with the new Interlink DX. It's a great controller and I am loving it with RF9. Works great with my other sims as well. Esp. nice to have lots of extra switches/buttons to play with, lol!

I assume that RF9 Super Sampling for VR works the same as RF8.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=33470

I've found that I can increase SS to ~1.8 but to be honest it's still kinda blurry/shimmery. Clouds look a little nicer in RF9.

Thanks again Jeremy. Cheers.

Ya, I’m also in Australia. I pre-ordered the rf9 combo mainly because it was the only way to get the interlink DX right away. Very glad I did btw.

Good move Tom C , I was in the USA until 5 days ago grrrr Could have had it delivered to my hotel but I was too busy on holiday looking at Apollo 11 up in Seattle... tip e off next time as I am following your moves!

How do you turn on sounds on the nterlinkDX?

How do you center trims? Very difficult without sounds.

Once to select an aircraft the trims make a little high pitch beep when you change them up/down. When you go back to centre you hear a bit louder, lower pitched beep, much like most Spektrum Tx's. If you cannot hear this maybe you need to increase your PC's volume settings.

I paid $180 to get RF9 with the InterlinkDX which is advertised to work like a Spektrum Tx. There are no sounds coming from the Interlink like there are from even the cheapest Spektrum.

When flying most models I use there sounds make it impossible to hear any trim sounds. On a real Spektrum DX the sound is adjustable so I can hear it. Can't find any adjustments.

Anothergetting longer list of failures of KE and HH to live up to all there marketing hype.

I paid $180 to get RF9 with the InterlinkDX which is advertised to work like a Spektrum Tx. There are no sounds coming from the Interlink like there are from even the cheapest Spektrum.

When flying most models I use there sounds make it impossible to hear any trim sounds. On a real Spektrum DX the sound is adjustable so I can hear it. Can't find any adjustments.

Anothergetting longer list of failures of KE and HH to live up to all there marketing hype.

It's very easy to hear the trim beep sounds over the engine sound in the sim. In 10 years I've never had a problem with not hearing that beep over engine sound. I don't know what "hype" the controller isn't living up to as it's a big upgrade from the previous interlink-X...although I still use my elite for the RF8 and RF-X.

It's not a radio so no it doesn't have the same features as your transmitter. It doesn't need those features because they all exist on the computer in the simulator. The transmitter you fly with needs to have a speaker and make beeps because it isn't connected to an computer that can do that job for it. There are audio and visual ways to see what your trim settings are in the simulator. Bring up the radio gadget if you want to see your settings.

The trim sounds do not come from the controller itself. They come from your PC speakers. Maybe try cranking up your volume settings a bit. I can hear these trim beeps fine.

In practise, as long as my controller is properly calibrated in RF9 I never actually need to use trims on anything, including heli's.

Edit; like csgill75 says, you can always pull up your radio gadget (press 2) and this will show you your trims visually. A good tip and worth trying if you cannot hear the beeps.

Last edited:
I can hear them fine in RF9 with the Interlink Elite also. The trims also "gray" out on the radio gadget when they are centered. They light up when not. On flybarless helis you never want any trim. You can lower the motor volume in the editor if you want as well as other sound effects. Overall simulator sound can be adjusted in settings.

Last edited:
Good one mate. I think you are really going to like this. I used to be a member of the Tower club as well. Def worthwhile for these kind of purchases. I think I paid ~$A30 freight for my rf9 combo from HH. I would have gone with Tower but at the time they did not have the combo in stock. I probably should have waited another couple of days, lol!

Back