Flying Sub 1

Donamy,

That is one of the tactics I'm looking into, although the RF designer reference info shows water spawned planes are either fuselage or float based, so one would think floats were not needed.. Am working at a bit of a disadvantage on the FS-1, as I've never modeled a sea/float plane before, and it's not yet clear what the root cause is.
I may have to toss together a simple seaplane to get some insight into what the problem might be.

After looking at a few float planes and not finding any clues, I finally made a simple test float plane. With no C-meshes, it-- like others-- took off water ok. Then on to C-mesh land.

Could have made the one for the fuselage a simple polygon, but just made it from a copy of the fuselage (all parent/child links deleted before the copy per standard practice), and scaled it out slightly so the fuselage is fully enclosed. It then takes a bit more power to get airborne.

Thinking about all the working planes have low frontal area and the wide shape of the FS-1, I scaled the float plane C-mesh a bit excessively on the x-axis. Now, even at full throttle, the plane never gets above 20 mph. Drop the width back to its lower frontal area, and the plane lifts off the water just fine.

So, it looks like the C-mesh frontal area is the culprit, and as the FS-1 is as it is in width, I'll just stay with it as a land based plane. Thanks legpman for your earlier comment on the C-mesh width-- it was indeed the issue. Not crazy about the delay time it took to figure this one out, but then I did learn more about the characteristics of RF. If there was an optional "water friction" factor for C-meshes, things would be different.

If I've missed something in the investigation, please let me know-- we all learn from shared information.

Enjoy a great weekend and new week.

Attachments

• C_mesh drag.jpg
    C_mesh drag.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 10
To look realistic, the FS-1 has to float ~halfway in.
If it was raised up on any kind of float for water clearance it would look odd.
Not saying I won't revisit and try some more later, but the FS-1 has already been delayed too much, so it's back to resuming work on the land based model.

Attachments

• FS1.jpg
    FS1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5
After looking at a few float planes and not finding any clues, I finally made a simple test float plane. With no C-meshes, it-- like others-- took off water ok. Then on to C-mesh land.

Could have made the one for the fuselage a simple polygon, but just made it from a copy of the fuselage (all parent/child links deleted before the copy per standard practice), and scaled it out slightly so the fuselage is fully enclosed. It then takes a bit more power to get airborne.

Thinking about all the working planes have low frontal area and the wide shape of the FS-1, I scaled the float plane C-mesh a bit excessively on the x-axis. Now, even at full throttle, the plane never gets above 20 mph. Drop the width back to its lower frontal area, and the plane lifts off the water just fine.

So, it looks like the C-mesh frontal area is the culprit, and as the FS-1 is as it is in width, I'll just stay with it as a land based plane. Thanks legpman for your earlier comment on the C-mesh width-- it was indeed the issue. Not crazy about the delay time it took to figure this one out, but then I did learn more about the characteristics of RF. If there was an optional "water friction" factor for C-meshes, things would be different.

If I've missed something in the investigation, please let me know-- we all learn from shared information.

Enjoy a great weekend and new week.

To look realistic, the FS-1 has to float ~halfway in.
If it was raised up on any kind of float for water clearance it would look odd.
Not saying I won't revisit and try some more later, but the FS-1 has already been delayed too much, so it's back to resuming work on the land based model.

I would try tunneling out the frontal area of the collison mesh and basicly make it a tube so it has a top bottom and sides but no front and back

Legoman,

Hmm, now that's an interesting idea..

Not much update to report, but have got the the lower hatch and rear gear doors in.

Enjoy a great rest of the week and weekend.

Attachments

• progress1.jpg
    progress1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 9
  • progress2.jpg
    progress2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 8
F.E., I haven`t chimed in for a while, but I have to say you`re doing a fantastic job on which IS a complicated model, with all it`s curves and radius`s etc., the landing gear physic`s and all that. You take on complicated project`s, and should admired for that by anyone watching this build/thread and any potential modelers. Keep up the great work. !!!, This WILL be one of the most unique models on the swaps ;):D

A little more progress.

Got part of the lower fin trim taken care of a little while ago, but that was certainly not enough to make a post for..
When I got back to the FS-1 tonight, I forgot the trim was still unfinished and had started in on the cabin. Have not done any transparent materials for awhile, so I had to go dig up my notes on the details to open up the view through the front windows... The initial cabin shell and back wall are now in. May have to start in on the seats next to get their scale correct so in turn to help in getting the floor placed correctly.

BTW, the tunneling out of the C-mesh idea suggested by Legoman to help with the water handing isn't forgotten, it's just there are more details to yet model.

Question: can anyone suggest a good screen video capture program?
Have used Fraps in the past, but it did not create MP4 files and chopped up long videos into separate files.
Despite the negative of forcing the user to be on line for recording, Shadowplay worked perfectly with native MP4 and unlimited recording (until an upgrade about a year ago kept it from recording).
So for the new PC, it'd be great to find some good SW for recording screen video. Have not had to time to check, so I don't know if Shadowplay is still available, or with the simple passing of time there is something better.

Enjoy a great weekend.

Attachments

• progress3.jpg
    progress3.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 13
  • progress4.jpg
    progress4.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 12
The FS-1 is looking great and I can't want to see the interior too. As for screen recording I still use FRAPS, not perfect but it works for me. I did use Shadow Play once and it worked too so maybe give it another try.

Back