Newvie requesting help

richrfl

Gents, I just finished designing my very first airplane and I am using Blender 2.8.
I reached the point where I have to define the connection between the fixed parts and the moving surfaces (example wing>aileron) and for three days of watching videos, reading etc, I was not able to figure out how to apply the pivots and even less, how to constrain them to a single axle movement.
Please, can someone point me to some documentation, or send me a foolproof procedure or video on how to achieve this item? Please, consider that when I say FOOLPROOF, I really mean it.
I will be loading this aircraft onto RF8.
Using PC Windows 10.
Thanks a lot.

asj,
Thank you for the lead. Unfortunately for me, the video is done using 3DS max, and I have no access to it, that is why I was specific on the sw I am using, and I was not able to "translate" the procedure from the 3DS to Blender. However, the video is very useful for the overall procedure, and that will be useful for me, as soon as I am done with the pivots. I guess I will make just a couple of them and transfer the plane to RF, just to be sure I got that one right. On the other hand, I finally hit a video explaining how to work out the pivots. Here is the link, just in case someone falls in the same problem I got.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGrXpBB_ekk&list=PLAA5GgIB3LY20_mmq8Hob91N_Lmo6_t2u.

asj5547, Thank you for the lead.
Will take a shot to it, but just in case, I will try to have help on Blender.

Pivot point orientation confusion

Gents, here I am again with a 101 question. I have seen a lot of videos, threads, etc, and I am still disoriented about the pivot point orientation. I have it clear for all control surfaces, including the rudder and spinner but when it comes to the retracts and doors, in general, I still don't get it. I have read two opposing statements in this sense, one that the Y axis has to be oriented to the front of the aircraft, and the other, that the X axis has to be aligned with the rotation axis, which, in the case of main gears and its doors, happen to be the same. Therefore the dummy question is, in this case, should I align the X axis to the general front of the aircraft, or should I use the Y axis aligned to the rotation axle?
I have seen a picture of one of the design threads showing all the pivots, but unfortunately, because of the color and definition of the screenshot, I was not able to make which axis is aligned with which rotation axle.
Thanks in advance.

Gents, here I am again with a 101 question. I have seen a lot of videos, threads, etc, and I am still disoriented about the pivot point orientation. I have it clear for all control surfaces, including the rudder and spinner but when it comes to the retracts and doors, in general, I still don't get it. I have read two opposing statements in this sense, one that the Y axis has to be oriented to the front of the aircraft, and the other, that the X axis has to be aligned with the rotation axis, which, in the case of main gears and its doors, happen to be the same. Therefore the dummy question is, in this case, should I align the X axis to the general front of the aircraft, or should I use the Y axis aligned to the rotation axle?
I have seen a picture of one of the design threads showing all the pivots, but unfortunately, because of the color and definition of the screenshot, I was not able to make which axis is aligned with which rotation axle.
Thanks in advance.

• non moving object === Y-axis forward
  • moveable pod ====== Y-axis forward some variation is okay
  • control surfaces ===== X-axis pointed on the axis of rotation (if movement is backward point the xaxis 180 degrees)
  • gear doors ========= Y-axis should be forward but dont be afraid to point it a little off (or alot) to make the nup commands easier
  • landing gears ======= Z-axis points in the same direction as the axis of steering
  • wheels ============ X is the axis of rotation

Import into RF8 problem. Help requested here

I filed the fbx and tga files in the folder located in RF8>Vehicles>Custom Models.
When I import it into RF8, and select an aircraft from the pull-down list, I get two messages: the model could not be loaded because it's based on a plane I don't have and that the kex file was successfully created.

I tried selecting planes either downloaded from the Swap Pages or from the original RF8 list. Neither helps.

Can someone give me a clue on what I am missing, please?

I filed the fbx and tga files in the folder located in RF8>Vehicles>Custom Models.
When I import it into RF8, and select an aircraft from the pull-down list, I get two messages: the model could not be loaded because it's based on a plane I don't have and that the kex file was successfully created.

I tried selecting planes either downloaded from the Swap Pages or from the original RF8 list. Neither helps.

Can someone give me a clue on what I am missing, please?

The normal process for importing a plane you designed and have an FBX file for is.

Simulation->Import->3D Model (FBX, KEX)

You need the FBX and TGA files in the same directory then use that process to select the FBX file and RealFlight will create all the rest of what it needs. But you'll need a Physics File to pick too during the import. Most people pick an Existing Model that's Close to the model you designed and Then Modify the Physics you selecting in the RF Editor to match the plane you designed. Hope this helps.

What I do, is have a folder for each plane that I do, ex. MyPlanes/Mooney. Then place all of the files pertaining to that plane, in that file. tga's, fbx's, psd's, 3views and 3d files etc. Then point the import to that folder. Hope it helps.

Yes definitely have a 'project' folder for each plane with the folder named the same as the plane.

Guys, I do have a file for each plane, and the file has exactly the same name as the plane itself.
The tga has a different name, but I notice that other models do no use the same name in the tga than in the fbx or kex.
Now, I do not have a physics file, which I would like to know how to build, and again, regardless of the existing physical model I choose, the model does not load.
May any of you want me to send the fbx and tga for you to try?

Well, here's what I came up with.

I deleted the camera and lighting stuff in MAX, and saved the fbx, completely renamed it. It seemed to have conflicts with the base plane. You'll have to mess with the physics. And also, the pivots need to be assigned, for the landing gear and doors in MAX.

Attachments

• PC-21.zip.rfx
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Guys, Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Donamy, I have no doubts issues will show with the pivot points.
Will look into your zip and see what happens. On the other hand, I will delete the camera and lights. And compare results. Also will check about the pivot points in the Landing gear. I know I did not set them for the nose wheel doors, but the other should be there unless Blender messed that up. I noticed that happened before.

Technoid, as for the tga in the same file as the fbx, I don't know where you find that out, as the folder I sent, came right out of the Custom models in RF8. On the other hand, if the tga is not in the same folder, RF8 will report that the file cannot be found, and continue with the kex process. I learnt that the first try I did.

Guys, Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Donamy, I have no doubts issues will show with the pivot points.
Will look into your zip and see what happens. On the other hand, I will delete the camera and lights. And compare results. Also will check about the pivot points in the Landing gear. I know I did not set them for the nose wheel doors, but the other should be there unless Blender messed that up. I noticed that happened before.

Technoid, as for the tga in the same file as the fbx, I don't know where you find that out, as the folder I sent, came right out of the Custom models in RF8. On the other hand, if the tga is not in the same folder, RF8 will report that the file cannot be found, and continue with the kex process. I learnt that the first try I did.

I don't know if you saw my reply before I deleted it this morning but donamy seemed to be helping so I just bowed out, too many cooks spoil the dish sort of thing. As for the tga file being in the same "FOLDER" as the fbx file I got that from the video tutorial I watched years ago and just repeated it maybe more times than I should have. But one thing that was in the post I deleted is there are issues with the pivot points quite a few places and lots of pivots aren't setup the way RF wants. What I did was delete the lights and camera like donamy did and then set the plane to the correct direction needed for RealFlight and then looked at the pivot points. I think you watched the Boof69 tutorial video about his box trainer and that's where I started too. I think it shows how to do the pivot points if I remember correctly. I know there are differences between how blender and 3ds max does the pivots and realflight needs them like 3ds Max does them. I didn't mean to frustrate you any.

I don't know if you saw my reply before I deleted it this morning but donamy seemed to be helping so I just bowed out, too many cooks spoil the dish sort of thing. As for the tga file being in the same "FOLDER" as the fbx file I got that from the video tutorial I watched years ago and just repeated it maybe more times than I should have. But one thing that was in the post I deleted is there are issues with the pivot points quite a few places and lots of pivots aren't setup the way RF wants. What I did was delete the lights and camera like donamy did and then set the plane to the correct direction needed for RealFlight and then looked at the pivot points. I think you watched the Boof69 tutorial video about his box trainer and that's where I started too. I think it shows how to do the pivot points if I remember correctly. I know there are differences between how blender and 3ds max does the pivots and realflight needs them like 3ds Max does them. I didn't mean to frustrate you any.

Techniod, by no means I feel frustrated. I take interests in all responses, because I don't know what am I missing or someone else is assuming I know. Will check if I can find the video you refereced to. It would save some time.
As just FYI, the recently version of Blender, seems that solved some issues related to the pivots. (see my response to Donamy)

Well, here's what I came up with.

I deleted the camera and lighting stuff in MAX, and saved the fbx, completely renamed it. It seemed to have conflicts with the base plane. You'll have to mess with the physics. And also, the pivots need to be assigned, for the landing gear and doors in MAX.

You are right. There was something weird with ether the camera and light and/or some reference planes in the file. I was able to create the plane, with some issues. (texture included). About the pivots, I checked in the RF8 ailerons, elevator and rudder, and they are good. Didn't check yet the steering, retracts and flaps, but I am pretty sure they will work once I assign the switches and servos.
One thing that I am not sure about, is that RF8 is telling me that one of the main gear doors does not find parent landing gear. Therefore here is the question: I have the main and steering doors as child to the fuselage. Should I parent to the landing gear, or use a different naming?

Thanks a lot for your help. I feel I am now really close.

Back