Launcher and LauncherHelper direct download for quarantined files

Various antivirus (AV) software packages have been incorrectly flagging portions of our software as infected with a virus (read more about that here). It seems to mostly be affecting the DVD & Tower editions of RealFlight, not the Steam edition, so that's what this post addresses.

UPDATE: We believe we have a more permanent solution to this problem now which is currently available as a public beta update. But if you were affected, you may not be able to update at all until following the directions below.

The typical victims are not the main RealFlight application but a couple of side applications: the RealFlight Launcher and LauncherHelper. Sometimes one or the other is flagged, and sometimes both.

When that happens, the AV software usually quarantines the application(s) in question, meaning it removes it from its original location on your disk and shuffles it into a dark corner where it can't run or do any harm. That's supremely useful when it's right and is saving you from actual danger! When it's wrong, it can be frustrating or worse.

The thread referenced above contains some instructions for restoring applications after Windows Defender quarantines them, and suggests that other antivirus software should have some similar options. However, some users have reported that they don't have the option to restore the applications after quarantine. They're apparently just gone forever.

Unfortunately, users in that situation have no good way to recover. We are working on a better long-term solution to stop the false detection in the first place, but in the meantime, if you've tried the normal restore options to unquarantine your file(s), you can now download an installer package below that will replace them for you.

The Launcher and LauncherHelper that it contains have been digitally signed with a certificate that should help prevent them from being quarantined in the future.

Note that if you chose to install RealFlight 9 somewhere other than the default location, when you run the installer package below you will need to modify the installation path accordingly. Be sure to read the notes it presents after it starts up.

Version Compatibility
I've done a careful review of Launcher changes between recent versions and determined that the latest one from 9.50.024 should also be safe to use for 9.50.015 and 9.50.021. (This isn't always the case; sometimes it would be very bad to mix & match versions of the applications!)

However, if you're running 9.0 and not 9.5, stop here. You need more help, and these instructions do not apply to you. Similarly, if you're running a version later than 9.50.024, do not continue. (Hopefully versions after 9.50.024 will no longer experience this problem! If they do, I will update this post as needed.)

Downloading and Installing the Files
  1. Hopefully it will no longer be a problem, but you may want to tell your AV software to allow/ignore the Launcher and LauncherHelper to help reduce the risk of these files getting quarantined all over again.
    • The RealFlight Launcher lives here:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight9\Launcher9.exe
    • The RealFlight LauncherHelper lives here:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\KnifeEdge\LauncherHelper9.exe
  2. Right-click the link below and save the file (SignedLauncherFiles.exe) to your disk, then run it.
  3. Because Windows and some browsers are especially distrusting of executables downloaded from the Internet, you may get yet another warning when you try to run this installer. Unlike the original problem, it's not because it sees something it thinks is a virus. It just wants to caution you about running something you grabbed online, which can indeed be dangerous.
    • Browsers vary, but if Microsoft Defender SmartScreen complains, click "More info" and then "Run anyway" as shown in the attached images. (It may also suffice to simply run it a second time.)
The revised versions you have made available still trigger AntiVirus to quarantine them..

Hey Guys, ill save all the backround info other than having owned all previous real flights up to 6.5, my son bought me 9.5 as a gift and as marcushh said I did buy a Dell G7 after researching what would work well, I only have widows defender and shut everything off to load but once up and running I get one or two plays and then I keep running into the (maximum number of allowed instances issue) at which point my launcher is done and the game will no longer play. I have wiped out and reloaded once on disc and twice on website per Bonnie at Horizon Tech support and start from scratch all over again but then the same problem again, PS I did do the update but not making a diff at this point. I am an on call Pilot 24/7 and love to bring RF everywhere I go to keep up my Heli skills but don't have all day to keep fixing this. Very Frustrated!

Honestly, if you cannot figure out something so simple to do I'm glad I don't need a ride in a real heli with you, lol!

once up and running I get one or two plays and then I keep running into the (maximum number of allowed instances issue) at which point my launcher is done and the game will no longer play.
@alewin6247 RealFlight is not a game; its RC flight simulation software based on FlightAxis flight physics simulation software. This is a huge distinction.

The reason you're getting multiple instances running is that you're relaunching (like a game) when you crash; but, the simulation software is not designed to do that; Rather, you need to reset, leaving the original (initial) instance running.

There are two primary ways to reset following a crash: (1) press the space-bar on your keyboard, and (2) press the RESET or CLEAR button on your InterlinkDX controller.

An instance is a single "run" of the simulation software... while its running if you launch another "instance" then you'll get the error you're describing. Before you launch a new instance of the simulation software, you must first EXIT the initial instance. The correct thing to do when you crash is to RESET with one of the two options listed above.

marcus

Alewin6247,
I hope that you have it figured out the problems by now. We once had a big fight in the forum when RF was called a game. I fall on the side of entertainment. This hobby is supposed to be fun. The program is not a great shoot 'em-up game but some use it thusly. That is fine by me. Some use it professionally to fly drones commercially. I use it both ways and welcome more users to have fun or learn. It is up to you. A great game teaches you and wastes your time. RF is both.
at which point my launcher is done and the game will no longer play.

Hello
I'm a newbie my total experience is 10 min on the sim at the hobby shop and I was hooked. I just loaded RF9.5 My computer meets all the parameters to run the program, am able to go as Fly and pick out an airplane. It show's it on the runway and it hums as if the engine is running but that's all I get. Maybe I'm missing a few steps to set parameters on controls or something. However that's not the problem that lead me to this site and thread. When I first hit the RF symbol on my desktop and the Sim opens up I get a message that up dates available, however I get this message (below) when I click on the up date link.
The following required application message is missing: C:\Program files (x86)\Common Files\Knife edge\LauncherHelper9.exe.

I have followed this thread to the last updated reply by 12oclockhigh on April 1. I am not sure what to do. Honestly I want to enjoy this sim, I waited 50 years to learn to fly but not at the expense of a program that has fixes that can possibly cause nasties to infect my computer.

Yes I have a stand alone computer that I could use but trying to follow the how to to fix the problem is to be honest a bit over my head, sorry! I'm old school.
I'm thinking of doing a couple things,

One: Asking for a refund as have other people and waiting for a fixed safe version that will down load without tripping the perimeter wire and setting off ground flairs alerting my crack team of advanced malware fighters protecting my desk top airstrip. (adding some humor to a serious topic)
Second: Printing the thread and giving it to my local hobby shop and let them decide if they still want to carry version 9.5 that they have in stock. My opinion you shouldn't need to go through this grief especially if your not a geek squad member or wanabee! The product description is amazing and I really want to fly this program but I shouldn't have to fix my brand new car just after it was delivered to my home from the dealership.

Third: and I hope this is an actual thing to do by now. You guy's send me a link that is safe secure and will over write my current version and all will be well in Whoo Ville.

I'm in Orlando were in condition red covid wise, I got this last week to have something I want to learn (Flying) if and when we go into lock down mode again. Can someone please give me some good news and help a fellow out. I hope you can understand my frustration as well.

Thanks for letting me rant. Forums are great places to meet good people and get good solid sound information. I look forward to hearing from you all I just need some good advice. Thank you!

There is nothing in RealFlight you need to fear they just have some code that some of the virus programs detect but that happens to many programs. So just follow the directions and install and update the program and your problems with virus detection will go away. You have all the information you need to get through this so it would be silly to return a perfectly good program because of this issue. I had it too and it was fixed long ago and has never came back. So suck it up and follow their directions and get down to enjoying the program.

There is nothing in RealFlight you need to fear they just have some code that some of the virus programs detect but that happens to many programs. So just follow the directions and install and update the program and your problems with virus detection will go away. You have all the information you need to get through this so it would be silly to return a perfectly good program because of this issue. I had it too and it was fixed long ago and has never came back. So suck it up and follow their directions and get down to enjoying the program.
Thank you for your reply, I do not do a lot with computers on the software side, I use them as is to research the internet, to communicate. I am not a gamer so I don't load programs and I am not a programmer or have any experience even basic fundamentals of understanding even much of the terminology that most of you would find basic. When it comes to software fixes and the like that's not my thing, but I will attempt to do this or find someone who can for me. Again thank you.

Thank you for your reply, I do not do a lot with computers on the software side, I use them as is to research the internet, to communicate. I am not a gamer so I don't load programs and I am not a programmer or have any experience even basic fundamentals of understanding even much of the terminology that most of you would find basic. When it comes to software fixes and the like that's not my thing, but I will attempt to do this or find someone who can for me. Again thank you.
Good luck.

ok I'm back, I'm bound and determined to make this thing work.

I reread the section about my antivirus stopping the 9.exe. I disabled the antivirus from malware, as well as another that was there. I followed a link that showed me how to step by step disable and restore what was quarantined. I clicked on my desk top RF icon and got the program to come up I hit the update link again and same thing happened. I get the error message missing .9exe.

Next I decided ok perhaps what I have installed is corrupted and I should start over from scratch while all antivirus programs are inactive. I went into my programs and found RealFlight 9.5 program and hit uninstall.

It gives me a box with two options, Modify and uninstall. Well modify option button does nothing so I chose uninstall. second window opens says app and its related info will be uninstalled along with the uninstall gray box button. I Chose the uninstall again and rather then it saying program uninstalled it says windows cannot find file x(86)common 9.exe (etc.) make sure you typed name correctly and try again.

Next I went into my E-drive and found the real Flight folder opened it and found RealFlight clicked that and all I got was a data folder with three items x(86) common no where to be found so it appears I have remnants of the program but not a complete program,

so I remembered when selecting the desktop icon it gave me the option to uninstall real flight. When I chose this I got the following message.

KEError 21083: Uninstall is not available. You will not be able to uninstall until this issue is resolved.
The following required application is missing:
C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Common
Files\KNife Edge\LauncherHelper9.exe

I hit the OK button the message goes away and I am back to square one.

I cant remove the last remaining remnents of the file from settings and I cant remove the file from Run RealFlight screen shot. so now what should I do. Should I just put disk one and two back in and start over from this point. then refollow the advise at the beginning of this thread? That's all I can think to do. I'm trying to learn!
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I'd try this. With the AntiVirus turned OFF just reinstall RealFlight 9 from the disc or download if you got it that way. Then start the program and "update" it before doing anything else that should get you the fixed version off their server. Also call their tech support they should be able to walk you through it if reinstalling it from scratch doesn't work.

I'd try this. With the AntiVirus turned OFF just reinstall RealFlight 9 from the disc or download if you got it that way. Then start the program and "update" it before doing anything else that should get you the fixed version off their server. Also call their tech support they should be able to walk you through it if reinstalling it from scratch doesn't work.
Reply Thank you technoid also I just talked to my son who lives out of town and he said he would help me as well, he is excited that I have this program so good stuff all around.

Success.... sort of. I deactivated my Malware and my Windows Defender virus protection and tried the disks again. This time a new screen popped up saying there was a problem with the disk bla bla bla.

How ever I was able to open the desktop icon and when I hit the update button this time it worked. I was able to up grade to 9.50.038 only snag is that when I tried to fly a trainer all the control surfaces were functional from the tx but I had no throttle control.

However I do remember seeing a similar problem here on the forum but didn't read the fix at the time. So that's the next thing to chase but at least the light at the end of the tunnel is daylight and not a train coming the other way.(y):giggle:

Success.... sort of. I deactivated my Malware and my Windows Defender virus protection and tried the disks again. This time a new screen popped up saying there was a problem with the disk bla bla bla.

How ever I was able to open the desktop icon and when I hit the update button this time it worked. I was able to up grade to 9.50.038 only snag is that when I tried to fly a trainer all the control surfaces were functional from the tx but I had no throttle control.

However I do remember seeing a similar problem here on the forum but didn't read the fix at the time. So that's the next thing to chase but at least the light at the end of the tunnel is daylight and not a train coming the other way.(y):giggle:
That's good to hear. What controller are you using? I use the RealFlight Interlink-X from the RF-X version I bought so I don't know anything about how to use a real RC transmitter if that's what you're using.

Good morning:
I am using a DXs, with the remote daggle. It was a set, I picked up a Taranis DX9 a while back brand new from a guy who bought it but never used it. Dated from 2013. It needs to be updated, that's the next project.

So I managed to get the throttle working when I accidently hit the throttle kill switch, suddenly the plane dies. I flicked it back on and I suddenly had a working throttle, where as prior no throttle response at all. It sounded as though the motor was running at 3/4 to full. Anyway its working, See what happens when I try again later. Thank you for your help through all this, as I said you meet some great helpful people on forums.

Good morning:
I am using a DXs, with the remote daggle. It was a set, I picked up a Taranis DX9 a while back brand new from a guy who bought it but never used it. Dated from 2013. It needs to be updated, that's the next project.

So I managed to get the throttle working when I accidently hit the throttle kill switch, suddenly the plane dies. I flicked it back on and I suddenly had a working throttle, where as prior no throttle response at all. It sounded as though the motor was running at 3/4 to full. Anyway its working, See what happens when I try again later. Thank you for your help through all this, as I said you meet some great helpful people on forums.
Good deal it sounds like your good to go !

Good morning:
Just wanted to touch base and as a quick question. I am having no issues with my 9.5 download and am enjoying learning to fly. My question is this. In the opening statement that started this thread It was mentioned that segments of 9.5 were still being snagged as a problem by virus detection programs such as malware and Defender. My Maleware program sent me an alert after a scan was completed its in my C drive and it says:

Threat Scan results..... C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDA...... STALLER\KESETUP2.EXE

Does anyone recognize this as part of the 9.5 programing? Malware is asking me to ignore or Quarantine and I would like to know what to do with it? if it's part of the 9.5 program ill leave it alone if not Ill send it to the dark corners of the internet.:devilish:
Thanks for your help.

Good morning:
Just wanted to touch base and as a quick question. I am having no issues with my 9.5 download and am enjoying learning to fly. My question is this. In the opening statement that started this thread It was mentioned that segments of 9.5 were still being snagged as a problem by virus detection programs such as malware and Defender. My Maleware program sent me an alert after a scan was completed its in my C drive and it says:

Threat Scan results..... C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDA...... STALLER\KESETUP2.EXE

Does anyone recognize this as part of the 9.5 programing? Malware is asking me to ignore or Quarantine and I would like to know what to do with it? if it's part of the 9.5 program ill leave it alone if not Ill send it to the dark corners of the internet.:devilish:
Thanks for your help.
What's the full path from APPDATA on so we can see what program it's associated with.

Good morning,
I am hoping this is what your talking about. I found this line of text when I run my curser over the Threat scan notice.

C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\KESETUP2EXE.

Back