PX-51

Off topic but I found some humor you all might enjoy Maybe.
hey it's airplane related, so not necessarily off topic. ?
i had to search my remember-y banks to get it. one would have to know two things to get the joke:
Historically, glue was made from collagen from horse hooves.
Mr. Ed was a 60s TV show about a horse who talked to his owner, Wilbur.

I worked on the rear intake and rounded it off some so the last thing I want to do is angle the exhaust pipes down just a little I didn't notice the real ones were angled down when I first added them. So once I do that I'll be finished and start mapping it. That's my least favorite part but it has to be done. Ha!

I have only an idea what this "mapping" is. I assume that it has to do with placing the wireframes of the 3D parts onto a 2d plane so that the color schemes can be made.

Regardless, is there a tutorial that shows how this is done? I'm very curious.
Yep that's what it is mapping a 3d part to a flat plane so you can paint on it. I have my own way of mapping which is simpler than some but it works okay for me but here's a video by Scott Nichols (Boof69) where he maps the fuselage of a Kaos. Check out his YouTube channel he has lots of tutorials on it. There's actually two parts to mapping, mapping all the parts and placing them on a grid and then going back and fine tuning the placement of those parts so a stripe going from side to side of a part lines up correctly (I call them first pass and 1x1 mapping).

Yep that's what it is mapping a 3d part to a flat plane so you can paint on it. I have my own way of mapping which is simpler than some but it works okay for me but here's a video by Scott Nichols (Boof69) where he maps the fuselage of a Kaos. Check out his YouTube channel he has lots of tutorials on it. There's actually two parts to mapping, mapping all the parts and placing them on a grid and then going back and fine tuning the placement of those parts so a stripe going from side to side of a part lines up correctly (I call them first pass and 1x1 mapping).

thank you so much technoid! I'm eager to do this on my own someday.

I did 3D modeling and animation (for corporate presentations) for a living in the 90s, but the software I used then (Strata Studio Pro) doesn't exist now in the same form. Life has gone through many chapters for me since then. ?

after watching a third of that video, I can see why mapping is released favorite part. it's a very tedious and very manual process.

it seems like there ought to be an algorithm or at least a plug-in that can simplify that task.
Yep very manual and extremely boring. Creating the model is fun, tweaking it is work, mapping is hard at first but then becomes boring and you don't want to do it. But it's cool when it's done and you can paint the plane.

I added the angle to the exhaust pipes this morning so now I'm ready to start mapping. But I'll take a break first. My wife has a Doctor's appointment today so I'll be gone for a few hours with that and I may not start mapping until tomorrow. Or heck maybe I should delete the plane and not map it at all. Ha !

Oh well I tend to change my mind a lot so here's a late change for you to test. I decided to make it a low wing so it looks even more like a P-51 but of course there's differences so I guess I'd call it a fun scale.

Controls are set for the Interlink Elite.

Canopy Retract: Channel 6 knob.
Gear Retract: Channel 7 switch.
Smoke: Channel 8 3 position switch forward (away from you).

PX-51 33.jpg

Attachments

• PX-51_EA.RFX
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
OMG is that dihedral ? ? What no floats for Doug ? :unsure:

I've been reworking the Aircraft Carrier. I'm kind of into doing scenery lately. The planes were always way to big and out of proportion. I also added some other more detailed aircraft in place of some of the Harriers. Put a battleship along side too. Like you said sometimes you need a break from something and I needed one from the Island scenario I've been doing.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1628796943.jpg
    ScreenShot1628796943.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 12
  • ScreenShot1628801645.jpg
    ScreenShot1628801645.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 12
Oh well I tend to change my mind a lot so here's a late change for you to test. I decided to make it a low wing so it looks even more like a P-51 but of course there's differences so I guess I'd call it a fun scale.

Controls are set for the Interlink Elite.

Canopy Retract: Channel 6 knob.
Gear Retract: Channel 7 switch.
Smoke: Channel 8 3 position switch forward (away from you).

View attachment 125857
really coming together nicely technoid , i just grabbed your PX-51_EA.RFX test relese thanks :)

OMG is that dihedral ? ? What no floats for Doug ? :unsure:

I've been reworking the Aircraft Carrier. I'm kind of into doing scenery lately. The planes were always way to big and out of proportion. I also added some other more detailed aircraft in place of some of the Harriers. Put a battleship along side too. Like you said sometimes you need a break from something and I needed one from the Island scenario I've been doing.
It's looking good.. cool.

Back