RF 9 M1 Mac

CRRC

Hello. I am having issues in Parallels 16, RF 9.5, on an M1 Mac. Everything is updated, I uninstalled aftermarket antivirus and disabled Windows Defenser. I uninstalled and reinstalled MANY times. I can launch steam and see the home page for RF9.5, but when I try to launch game, it says, “preparing to launch” and a black screen pops up then disappears. The same thing happens when I try to launch from desktop icon, only steam doesn’t open. I am at my wits end! I have been looking for WEEKS for an answer. I had more issue that I have resilved, I just can’t figure this one out. Any help is much appreciated! .

The M1 processor might be the issue here. It isn't a X86 CPU therefore you might have issues with this machine running Windows based applications that don't support ARM processors. I would recommend a different computer as Realflight is a DirectX9 Application that wouldn't know what an ARM processor is.

Thank you!
Look into an Program called Crossover. It may lead you down a path to get this to work on your Mac. Personally I would just get a inexpensive Windows Laptop or Desktop. Realflight doen't need a hefty machine to work it's requirements are not that high.

Another thing you might try (I personally recommend) is using 'Bootcamp' rather than 'Parallels'. But again, it was the fact that Apple chose to use Intel processors which allowed Bootcamp and Parallels to work. With the M processors are the heart and center of Apple devices, that may mean the end of running RealFlight on a modern mac.

marcus

Another thing you might try (I personally recommend) is using 'Bootcamp' rather than 'Parallels'. But again, it was the fact that Apple chose to use Intel processors which allowed Bootcamp and Parallels to work. With the M processors are the heart and center of Apple devices, that may mean the end of running RealFlight on a modern mac.

marcus
M1 Macs don't work with Bootcamp. The CPU is an ARM Processor, and does not do the x86 instruction set like the previous Intel Macs. Normal Windows 10 doesn't work as you have to use Window 10 for ARM which is a Beta right now and only a few applications work within that version of Windows. The only option is Parallels or the Crossover software on the New Macs. Even then the ARM version of windows is still required and its emulating a X86 environment to run a windows application means a serious performance hit at best or the application not working at all.

Last edited:
... and its emulating a X86 environment to run a windows application means a serious performance hit at best or the application not working at all.
yup. Its a sad day for mac users, from a certain point of view. All of my macs are Intel; w/ Bootcamp and GNU|Linux in a dual bootup. I'm looking forward to playing with the new Arm macs though.

marcus

I have successfully run RealFlight 9.5 under macOS 11 / Parallels 17 on my M1 MacBook Air with the display on my 4K60 TV.

The performance is good. I am able to fly using the wireless transmitter with no perceptible lag or issues, so far.

I struggled with installation initially. In order for the installer, RF Launcher, or RealFlight app to launch under Windows 11's x86 emulation, I had to go into the file Properties for each executable and switch to Safe Emulation mode under the Compatibility tab. Otherwise, the installer would crash after extracting files and the Launcher would not start at all. While this is not optimal, and caused the installer to run much more slowly, at least it worked, and I haven't noticed a significant impact to usability. It may be possible to optimize the emulation settings, but I haven't experimented with that.

Here is my configuration:

RealFlight 9.5 Combo with Spectrum DXS and WS2000
Windows 11 (ARM) Insider Preview
Parallels 17 Free Trial - configured for Gaming, running Windows in full-screen mode on external display
macOS 11.5.2 (20G95)
Apple M1 MacBook Air (Fall 2020)
Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
+ Belkin UltraHD High Speed 4K HDMI Cable (2m) + LG 4K60 HDR TV
+ Spektrum WS2000 + DXS - w/USB device mapped to Windows
+ Apple 96W USB-C Power Adapter

I have successfully run RealFlight 9.5 under macOS 11 / Parallels 17 on my M1 MacBook Air with the display on my 4K60 TV.

The performance is good. I am able to fly using the wireless transmitter with no perceptible lag or issues, so far.

I struggled with installation initially. In order for the installer, RF Launcher, or RealFlight app to launch under Windows 11's x86 emulation, I had to go into the file Properties for each executable and switch to Safe Emulation mode under the Compatibility tab. Otherwise, the installer would crash after extracting files and the Launcher would not start at all. While this is not optimal, and caused the installer to run much more slowly, at least it worked, and I haven't noticed a significant impact to usability. It may be possible to optimize the emulation settings, but I haven't experimented with that.
Which files did you change exactly. I’m only able to find the RealFlight exe file which I changed to compatibility mode but it still doesn’t work. Any help is appreciated.

Cheffie,
I have the same issue, Parallels 17, M1 and no dice on changing the compatibility of the files. They don't even run for me.

I’ll keep an eye out and see if there’s an eventual fix. Can’t be lugging around 2 laptops just to play RealFlight away from home. I’m sure the software will catch up to the hardware eventually.

I hope so, I have Aerofly 8 as well which runs exceptionally fast on the M1 max, but RF is more common and has way more models available.

I hope so, I have Aerofly 8 as well which runs exceptionally fast on the M1 max, but RF is more common and has way more models available.
I just got that too and it works very well. I was able to download an A-10 on it so I’m happy. Main thing with RF is I can fly the Horizon planes that I have in real life for practice and like you said it has a ton more planes, both in game and user generated. I have it installed on the PC at home, so if I can take it with me, I’ll be able to fly together with my grandson when I’m away.

One thing I notice is the original appender was using the Steam version of RF, while the person who has it running seems to be using the non-Steam version. I haven't had any issues running the non-Steam version on my Intel Mac, but not sure if the Steam version will work. Not sure I want to exchange the key to try and use Steam on the Intel Mac or not (without some assurance the newer program will work).

Parallels 17 Free Trial - configured for Gaming, running Windows in full-screen mode on external display
macOS 11.5.2 (20G95)
I have the same config Windows 11 ARM, Parallels 17 macOS 11.5.2, etc. Which exact files did you switch to Safe Emulation mode?

macOS 11.5.2 (20G95)
@TKM - great work! This worked well for me with one exception - I’m using the same config, but with both the interlink TX as well as using my NX8 w/ WS2000, I can’t seem to get the controls mapped no matter how much editing or calibrating I do. I’ve even used the calibration tool in Windows Gaming Controller advanced settings.

macOS 11.5.2 (20G95)
Ok I have the exact same setup. I can get the sim the start up, it loads in but I cannot switch airports passed Eli Field. It then gives me an error message and crashes. The files I set to “Safe Emulation” were the Launcher9 Application file, the Realflight application file, and the RF Installer file. Are there any others that I and a few others are missing? Can you switch airports without any issues?

Ok I have the exact same setup. I can get the sim the start up, it loads in but I cannot switch airports passed Eli Field. It then gives me an error message and crashes. The files I set to “Safe Emulation” were the Launcher9 Application file, the Realflight application file, and the RF Installer file. Are there any others that I and a few others are missing? Can you switch airports without any issues?
Mustang,

I have the same exact issue. Where you able to find a fix? I made a bunch of changes to GPU settings and it worked for while but now it is crashing with an error when I try to switch airports or make other changes like training too. Thanks...

Back