Build poll Summer 2022

which one?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All the more reason to vote for it without helping the other candidates. WOW. A real mechanic's nightmare. And I still haven't found anything about yaw control. But I'm a little too tired to concentrate. It's been a long rough day.

Our A/C went out, and the installers didn't register the warranty within 60 days so the 5-year warranty wasn't extended to 10 years. It was installed in 2015 after we had 22 inches of water in our basement. So it SHOULD be under warranty, but isn't. I've been fighting with the manufacturer, the installer, & the distributor over it with no luck. So we're on the hook for a new 2 ton outdoor condenser unit & compressor. It's probably going to be about $1500. And my cell phone died, so I've been setting up a replacement all evening, too. At least this has given me something pleasant/fun to do in the midst of chaos.

Last edited:
look! watch this! whenever it is turning while hovering, it's quite obvious that the rudder is moving and that that is very likely what's causing it to yaw!

Yeah. The rudder action jumps right out. And when seen from the back, the ducting for the prop wash is pretty obvious.
Does this convince you to cancel your extra illegal votes? IMHO, the poll should have used "choose only one" radio buttons instead of allowing multiple votes.
P.S. That's at least partly a joke. But I REALLY want to be able to fly this thing!

even someone with nerves of steel.
Which I AIN'T got! At least ONE thing went right... the migration to a new cell phone.
😂😂😂
thanks for putting your disclaimer about it being "at least partly a joke." 😄 that worked really well.
IMHO, that's one of the things that keeps this place interesting/fun. But once in a while it goes wrong. And I'm trying to make it clear when I say something that could be taken wrong. If I screw up, call me out on it. I'm not ashamed to apologize when I've stepped on my crank.

Last edited:
I was having a problem as to how this could be made to work in RF9, so I dropped a couple of rotors on to one of my helicopter models and after a few hours of trial and error I managed to get the rotors to mesh.
See the video, (30 seconds long.)

Neat. 3-blades not 2. Looks great. Single motor driving both rotors off a single drive gear I assume - kinda OoO? How did it fly? Did you manage to control yaw? Or did it just weathervane?

Last edited:
Looks like it weathervanes nicely in forward flight. But I doubt that backward flight or hovering would work very well. That's what had me confused with the Flettner before I saw that propeller. Have fun with the Spit!

P.S. I wonder if vectored turbine exhaust/thrust would work. And I suspect a tail rotor might be a good idea, even if it isn't required fo counteract torque. It sounded like the rotors got out of sync when you landed.

Last edited:
I have a hunch that RealFlight might not even detect collisions of rotors on the same model. (Has anyone ever seen a boom strike in RealFlight?) Rotors on the same model hitting each other might be such an edge case that they might not even have included it in the simulation. Just a hunch.

Quick test flight, the model fly's but will need a lot more work on the physics, now to get back to working on my Spitfire IXc

Hey @asj5547 ... what happens if you make the rotors turn the same direction? could you please try just to see if they actually hit each other?

It would be strange, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't actually hit each other.

Last edited:
could you please try just to see if they actually hit each other?
They HAVE to hit each other! Then inboard blade of one rotor will be going forward while the other is going back. They CAN'T miss each other. But that doesn't answer the question of how RF would handle one part of an aircraft colliding with another part of the same aircraft. I'm just guessing, but a boom strike might be one of the potential flight failures, so it might be detectable.

They HAVE to hit each other!
I understand what you're saying. I should have clarified that I was asking so that we can see whether the simulation keeps track of that at all. I've only ever seen the blades hit the ground or other objects in the environment in RealFlight, and I suspect that those are the only collisions that RealFlight simulates as far as rotor blades go.

Is there a list of the flight failures RF detects/simulates somewhere? It seems like a boom/rotor strike might be something they would have anticipated in RF's design/implementation.

Back