Flying Field

There are a number of posts from over the years on this topic. They will be spread across different versions of RealFlight, but I don't think anything about that particular process will have changed.

I suggest searching for "custom photofields" to start with, and whatever other variations you can come up with that you think might bear fruit.

2:1 aspect ratio image
equilateral rectangle projection
2022-07-26 21_09_41-Two dimensional representations of 360x180 degree images or video and 3 mo...jpg
camera height (if you are taking the images) about 6 feet, it is what rf uses

the software to make/stitch a panoramic image. I have no idea google it

To import Simulation-> import -> Raw Panoramic image

There are a number of posts from over the years on this topic. They will be spread across different versions of RealFlight, but I don't think anything about that particular process will have changed.

I suggest searching for "custom photofields" to start with, and whatever other variations you can come up with that you think might bear fruit.
I will do exactly that. Thanks!

I've actually done a photofield of my local model airfield.

A photofield is essentially a 360° panoramic photo. You need a picture with a 180° vertical field of view (FOV) and a 360° horizontal FOV.

The best way to make this photo is with the right camera. If you have a fisheye lens, you can take a series of photographs in a circle at regular intervals, then use software to stitch them together. The software basically analyzes each photo and manipulates it to fit the process needed for a panoramic photo.

If you don't have, or can't afford a 180° lens and camera, you can make a pano using an iPhone or some Android phones. iOS has a pano mode built in to the camera, which will let you take a 360° horizontal strip. You'll need to do that 3 times: one time horizontal and one time pointed up at an angle and down at an angle.

Finally, you need "stitcher" software. I don't remember what I used, but it didn't work as well as I'd have liked. I was never able to get a full 180° vertical FOV with mine, so there was a small circle around my feet and in the sky that was unpainted.

Here is something that should help you get started with the software side: https://www.google.com/search?q=panorama+stitcher

Thanks TomXP411. This helps a lot. I get it. I've done these types of photos for other purposes before both in-camera and with stitching sofware. Now I suppose a more complex discussion is how one adds elements like fences, buildings, etc. and how one tells RealFlight what is the ground, what is the sky, and what objects will cause collisions, etc.

Thanks TomXP411. This helps a lot. I get it. I've done these types of photos for other purposes before both in-camera and with stitching sofware. Now I suppose a more complex discussion is how one adds elements like fences, buildings, etc. and how one tells RealFlight what is the ground, what is the sky, and what objects will cause collisions, etc.
That actually works basically the same way as a 3D field: I honestly don't remember how to adjust the ground, but obstacles like fences, buildings, grass, and other things can all be added in the editor. If I recall, you want to use the "Depth buffer" objects, which have a physics mesh but are transparent. So you basically place the depth buffer objects in the same location as the objects in your photo...

I honestly don't remember how to adjust the ground
I'm in the middle of making our club's field and the problem I'm having is our field has a 4 degree grade rising from the west to the east. Being able to change the orientation of the ground would solve my problem.

I'm in the middle of making our club's field and the problem I'm having is our field has a 4 degree grade rising from the west to the east. Being able to change the orientation of the ground would solve my problem.
try a large depth buffer to make a slope

Back