Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

ABSOLUTLY Love it!!!!!! The only thing I would change, just my opinion is the sound. It is such a classic from an old era a sound from back then would be great! If only the sound from the movie were available, I think that would be the cherry on the top!!!!!🍒 Again love it!
Yeah, I am looking (or should I say listening) for a good sound file to use with the model.

Here`s a sound track of it that maybe asj can use.... https://freesound.org/people/musicampo/sounds/132826/
Thanks for the link to the sound file UT, that would be a real good sound for Chitty, but I need engine rpm sounds for idle to high rpm in about six different rpm speed levels, something like 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 rpm sound levels.
Chitty has the flight physics of the Harrier jet and of course has a turbine engine under the hood, so I have to take sound files and rename the files to fit the turbine engine 40,000 to 120,000 rpm, what I have tried is to take some of the stock engine sounds and rename them (only numbers can be used) so as an example, I took the Daimler Benz DB605A file that has about 10 rpm levels from 1000.ogg to 3500.ogg, so the 1000.ogg file gets renamed to 40,000.ogg (engine idle) and the remaining files were equally renamed up to the max level of 120,000.ogg, the result was not too bad but I will need to juggle with the numbers a bit more.

I just noticed that your two screenshots from 3ds Max showed the wingtip rotors facing forward. that looks cool!
index.php

(but I think I just now realized why they're that way: because the y-axis is the one RealFlight uses for rotating propellers.)
Initially I was using a twin rotor fixed wing, pusher prop model (one of my own projects) to use as the flight physics for Chitty but RF kept distorting the 3rd blade on the wing rotors, so I had to orient the rotors on the Y axis to successfully import the model, the rotors were then attached to a simple cube hidden in the wing and named ~CS_HUB_PIVOT and in RF linked to a moveable pod hooked to a servo so I could rotate the rotor shafts into position and of course fold the rotors back into the wings when not in heli mode.
Since I switched from heli to the Harrier physics (no heli mechanics, just simple hinged blades on a shaft) I have moved the rotors back to Z axis in 3dsmax.

Thanks for the link to the sound file UT, that would be a real good sound for Chitty, but I need engine rpm sounds for idle to high rpm in about six different rpm speed levels, something like 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 rpm sound levels.
Chitty has the flight physics of the Harrier jet and of course has a turbine engine under the hood, so I have to take sound files and rename the files to fit the turbine engine 40,000 to 120,000 rpm, what I have tried is to take some of the stock engine sounds and rename them (only numbers can be used) so as an example, I took the Daimler Benz DB605A file that has about 10 rpm levels from 1000.ogg to 3500.ogg, so the 1000.ogg file gets renamed to 40,000.ogg (engine idle) and the remaining files were equally renamed up to the max level of 120,000.ogg, the result was not too bad but I will need to juggle with the numbers a bit more.
You`re welcome, Yeah, I was aware of the rpm situation, I wasn`t sure if you`d be able to do anything with it or not, so I thought I`d toss out there for ya anyway. Another thing that crossed my mind, was if the chitty engine revs up or not, OR if it just runs at one constant rpm..??? It`s been so long since I`ve scene the complete movie.. but I`m guessing it does rev. :unsure: :unsure:

The collapsing heli blades are not a problem, as I mentioned I am nowhere near finished with the model yet.
The physics for the twin rotors, pusher prop and fixed wing configuration will be more of a problem, I modified one of my heli's, added a wing with two rotors and pusher prop, it sort of fly's but needs a lot more physics tweaking.
I have a thought on the wingtip propellers. study the V-22 design. It's already in the realflight menu and you can see all of the constraints used to articulate the engine pods.

Here is a beta model to play with.
Switch "A" on the DX controller activates the wings fold process, fender covers open to allow the wings to swing out, front and rear stabilizers extend, small rear doors on fuselage open, propeller shaft
extends out and the propeller unfolds and begins to spin, also the "flight lever" on the right side of the fuselage moves, now Chitty is in airplane flight mode.
With the "D" switch on the DX controller set in the up position the rotors are tucked in the wings, now flip the "D" switch to the center position and the VTOL mode begins, rotor doors on each wing opens
and the rotor shafts rotate up, continue moving the "D" switch to the down position and the rotor blades hinge up and begin to spin then the wing doors close, also notice "flight lever" on right side
of the model moves some more
and now Chitty is in VTOL mode.
Switch "B" activates the windshield fold process.
Brakes are on down elevator, notice the "brakes lever" (next to the flight lever) also moves with brakes application.
At the moment the model only has a collison mesh on the 4 wheels, so if you knock a wheel off the model will sink into the ground (looks funny) and the fuselage and wings will "ghost" through objects.
I do not complete the full collision mesh until I have finished the UVunwrap mapping.
I just grabbed the beta, Thanks! Hopefully I can fly it with the InterLink-X.

Hey ASJ I see you're using the Wolseley Viper sound profile but with high rpm values for the sound file names. You might consider renaming the sound profile because if anyone tries to use it with a normal engine the sound will be way off from the high rpm numbers in the sound filenames (at least I think that's right correct me if I'm wrong).

Here is the updated beta with the renamed engine sound profile. (Chitty Chitty)
Switch "A" on the DX controller activates the wings fold process, fender covers open to allow the wings to swing out, front and rear stabilizers extend, small rear doors on fuselage open, propeller shaft extends out and the propeller unfolds and begins to spin, also the "flight lever" on the right side of the fuselage moves, now Chitty is in airplane flight mode.
With the "D" switch on the DX controller set in the "up" position (away from you) the rotors are tucked in the wings, now flip the "D" switch to the center position and the VTOL mode begins, the rotor doors on each wing opens and the rotor shafts rotate up into position, continue moving the "D" switch to the down position (towards you) and the rotor blades hinge up and begin to spin then the wing doors close, also notice "flight lever" on right side of the model moves some more and now Chitty is in VTOL/Heli mode.
Brakes are on down elevator, notice the "brakes lever" (next to the flight lever) also moves with brakes application.
At the moment the model only has a collision mesh on the 4 wheels, so if you knock a wheel off the model will sink into the ground (looks funny) and the fuselage and wings will "ghost" through objects.
I do not complete the full collision mesh until I have finished the UVunwrap mapping, which will take a while, I have a few things to add and map, throttle pedal, brake pedal, and clutch pedal for instance.
If anyone notices something that needs to be added, let me know.
Try the model night flying and let me know how it looks, with the headlights, taillights and dash lights, I am considering placing lights on the rotor and rear prop, what do you guys think.

Attachments

• Chitty Chitty_EA.RFX
    9.9 MB · Views: 22
Here is the updated beta with the renamed engine sound profile. (Chitty Chitty)
Switch "A" on the DX controller activates the wings fold process, fender covers open to allow the wings to swing out, front and rear stabilizers extend, small rear doors on fuselage open, propeller shaft extends out and the propeller unfolds and begins to spin, also the "flight lever" on the right side of the fuselage moves, now Chitty is in airplane flight mode.
With the "D" switch on the DX controller set in the "up" position (away from you) the rotors are tucked in the wings, now flip the "D" switch to the center position and the VTOL mode begins, the rotor doors on each wing opens and the rotor shafts rotate up into position, continue moving the "D" switch to the down position (towards you) and the rotor blades hinge up and begin to spin then the wing doors close, also notice "flight lever" on right side of the model moves some more and now Chitty is in VTOL/Heli mode.
At the moment the model only has a collision mesh on the 4 wheels, so if you knock a wheel off the model will sink into the ground (looks funny) and the fuselage and wings will "ghost" through objects.
I do not complete the full collision mesh until I have finished the UVunwrap mapping, which will take a while, I have a few things to add and map, throttle pedal, brake pedal, and clutch pedal for instance.
If anyone notices something that needs to be added, let me know.
Try the model night flying and let me know how it looks, with the headlights, taillights and dash lights, I am considering placing lights on the rotor and rear prop, what do you guys think.
omg i am so eager to try it!

Back