Recent content by OutstandingInMyField

1. OutstandingInMyField

Any Old-Timer Free-Flight Models in the Swaps?

That's fine. I don't need details or a how-to at this stage, just a top-most level, basic understanding of what the various components are, their function, and what's in an EA sim model that lets RealFlight do a reasonable flight simulation based on aircraft geometry, power plant, and control...
  2. OutstandingInMyField

> "You'll see that you are creating/modifying a wireframe representation of the physics model that occupies the same space as the graphic model. There isn't anything forcing one part to be tied to another (physics to graphics). It can be wildly different - additional wings, be a canard when the...
  3. OutstandingInMyField

My last post may have been misunderstood. I didn't mean to imply that some existing physics parameters might not affect the dynamic flight performance in the simulator. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding there. Also sorry if my colorful language gets misinterpreted as negativity, such as...
  4. OutstandingInMyField

The "eye-candy" of the graphical model presented in the RealFlight simulation output I'm not concerned about. Yes, it's very complicated using 3ds Max, setting up the texturing, naming the model components to what RealFlight expects, but what I want to understand is how the physics model relates...
  5. OutstandingInMyField

OK, thanks everyone. Now I have to hit Google and YouTube to do my homework reviewing skills prerequisites for basic RealFlight model creation. Hopefully Knife Edge has published a lengthy master cookbook of model creation for RealFlight some time during the last 30 years...but I doubt it. :)
  6. OutstandingInMyField

Even if I did a F1G sim model, a physical model would be needed to validate it. Oh well, RC stuff is so dirt cheap now compared to the old days of AM PPM, with several hundred dollar Futaba and JR radios at the hobby store in a glass showcase. Now there are "postage stamp" receivers, tiny LiPo...
  7. OutstandingInMyField

Thanks for the recommendations, but my buddy and I are texting back and forth. I'm getting the whole picture now. He wants F1G FF class, rubber-powered, 80 grams max, 200 sq. in. lifting surfaces typical, converted over to RC. Yeah. Right.
  8. OutstandingInMyField

Thanks. What's involved in creating a model? I'm a retired engineer, electrical, with 2D and 3D CAD experience on AutoCAD and Solidworks. Are there sufficient YouTube tutorials to get me started? Or is it a black art only for the fanatical few?
  9. OutstandingInMyField

A buddy of mine who participated in FF competition in the 50's asked if there were any old-timer FF models created for RealFlight. Does anyone recall if there are? If someone tells me they're there, I'll go find them, but there seems no way to scroll through a graphic thumbnail of the models...
Back