Recent content by rayvel

1. R

Blender 3DS export project

In general the 3ds2kex export script should produce a 3DS file compatible with both Max and Deep Exploration - though this is largely untested. During my (limited) testing everything loaded correctly in Deep Exploration trial version. Since I don't own either Deep Exploration or Max I can't...
  2. R

Thanks for the tip on the problem with the latest version of blender. There is a new version 0.99 attached to the thread that fixes this problem with the international characters. No other changes in this version.
  3. R

3ds2kex - beta - bug report - doubled vertices of mapping regions; G4 crash events

Wanted to echo maxkop's comments in this thread. Technically the issue appears to be with the 3DS file format more than anything. Since 3DS only supports a single UV-mapping coordinate per vertex, the script is forced to duplicate (copy) all verticies along UV-mapping seams. When 3ds2kex.exe...
  4. R

Bob - I'd be happy to contribute to the official Blender release. In fact I have been planning to circle back with this script to the Blender source but just have not had the time. If you'd like to take it from here I would be more than happy. Drop me a PM if you'd like to sync up over email...
  5. R

Hey Spiked - You can just take the .blend file and rename to .g3x then add this as an attachment to a reply. One thing that Max and I have been discussing is the possibility to put more verification/checking into the blender script so it will warn you about texture problems, incorrect...
  6. R

Only thing I notice is when I add a new object it defaults to having no material. You mention UV-mapping the elevator, did you also assign it either a new material or the same material used by the parent cube?
  7. R

In terms of the texture file used for export this is only the UV-texture. There is a material texture file you can set up in blender but that is ignored by the exporter. I am not aware of any way to make the process less tedious determining, for each object, how all the faces are texture mapped...
  8. R

Most likely the issue is the length of the filename for the texture. 3DS texture files are limited to 8.3 filenames maximum - anything longer will give you problems. So make sure the filename is no longer than "12345678.tga" and you will be OK. I have noticed some other apps such as Deep...
  9. R

Watch when you rotate if you are rotating about the pivot or about the world axes. So you can hit 'R' 'X' to rotate about local X, or 'R' 'X' 'X' to rotate about world X. (Or is that the other way around...) As for 3DsMax your guess is as good as mine. There are plenty of resources out there so...
  10. R

having issues with the kex import

What tool are you using to generate the KEX? If you are using blender you might want to try to create an empty object to use as a pivot (see the blender thread). Then set the pivot for the parent object and the pivot for the ~CS_COLL object to both point to the new empty object. This way you...
  11. R

yeah, about the 3ds import - I have never touched that so I think it is pretty much broken just like the "out-of-the-box" export is pretty much broken. In fact I have never even tried importing 3ds into blender - only worked with exporting the .blend files to .3ds
  12. R

Yeah blender's iterface is certainly unique, at least as far as I have seen in other 3d modelling apps. Takes a while to get used to. With blender for modelling the aircraft you will need to download the Knife Edge 3ds2kex utility which will convert the 3DS+SUP files from blender into KEX...
  13. R

Updated to V0.98. Please see first posting for details.
  14. R

Hi Kama, glad to hear you have things working! On this one, you can do all your parts naming and hierarchy stuff inside blender. Whatever name you use for the object will be the one put into the SUP file so go ahead and use the true names like "~CS_LMW" - also by setting the object parents...
  15. R

Both files attached to the first post are the same thing. They both contain the 3ds export script for blender just saved in a different format. You can either take the TXT file and save it as (assuming you use the default blender install path): C:\Program Files\Blender...
Back