33% Pitts S-1 Special

Well, time has really not been on my side, but I had a little bit this morning. Doesn't look like much, I know, but I have completely remade the fuselage from scratch. I'm much happier with this one, but I still nee to work on the vstab/fuselage joint to remove the shading.

Attachments

• pitts redo.jpg
    pitts redo.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 10
Houston, we have a problem. This morning, I upgraded to the latest Blender version. I have not touched my file since then. When I went to open it now, things appear to be in wireframe, so I hit "Z" to get out of it, and it's a no go. I went to the properties, it's showing solid, but Im still seeing wire frame:confused: So, I tried to export a 3ds, and an obj but get an error listing a mile long. I can't even get a render of it. So, long story short, if I can't figure this out, this build is a bust:mad: Seems the upgrade may have corrupted the file somehow. Im at a loss here.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 12
I still have it installed. In fact I now have 3 versions. Things look fine in 2.62, but will not export. 2.5 and 2.49b only show the wire frame. I tried the auto save file and it is the same as my saved file in appearance.

Ive figured out a way to get a real low poly model...........No faces, no polys.:(

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 11
I know when I first started (trying) to model that wings didn't cooperate. Maybe it is a driver error, or maybe your entire system needs to update. Or even try selecting edges and click make face.
(Just throwing ideas out)

Last edited:
After messing around a bit with it, I think one of my kids may have done something, but Im not accusing yet. My faces have been deleted. I can manually create faces, but Im not going to create 3000 faces manually.

Maxkop, that was with "A" hit:p Ive never seen anything like this. Usually if I delete faces that leave open verts, the verts go bye-bye too.

Oh well, that's life I guess:D

Ok, this is due to me updating to the newest version of blender. I have been told by the blender forum moderators that a 2.6x version now supports ngons, and thus the way things are saved. I may have a fix, but won't know till I get home to try it.

So, the lesson here is, dont update to a version past 2.59 as it will be wasted time unless a new exporter is made.

Maybe, but it isn't the whole story. I have been working in Blender 2.6.2 and so far my model comes into 2.49 just fine.

Attachments

• OKFaces.jpg
    OKFaces.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 10
Have you added bmesh to it? I was told that was the problem.

It looks like you are using a version of 2.6 after bmesh was incorporated (r44630). If that is the case you should not be surprised if things are not backward compatible. Use the official 2.62 download for compatibility, not some development build.

I have gotten my file back, for the most part anyway. I did lose the 3 views, and I haven't went through everything yet, but things seem to be in order.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, Bmesh wasn't in 2.6.2. So it hasn't hit me. But that does tell me I probably should not upgrade beyond 2.6.2 until there is a new exporter for later versions of blender.

Ya,bmesh is an add on for .62 that I thought would be nice to try. Lesson learned. 2.63 will have it incorporated so that will be out of the question for now. One more reason we need the new export script.

Welp......Im about out of ideas here. Ive checked for duplicate verts, made edges sharp (hard for the wings guys:p) redid smoothing, and a few other thnigs to fix this, but unless someone has a better idea, I think it's going to be a complete rebuild. Im just afraid of going further only to be bitten by something later. I get this everywhere there was a sharp edge marked.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 16
So after 2 days trying to fix my broken file, I decided to just start over:(. So here is about an hours worth work, most of which was setting up the 3-views which were completely lost in the mix up.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 10
I'm thinking I can use my wings though. The black areas in the previous pic was due to having about 6 verts stacked on top of each other. The only fix I could f find was to box select each vert and see if duplicated. If so, I could merge. Not ready to do that with every vert. I can redo it faster.

Back