33% Pitts S-1 Special

I will probably do that, and call this one done as modeling goes. I will shoot you some final pics when I get that done to go over before I start mapping.

A few final renders. Ill get back to this in a couple of days, and start mapping. But first I have to figure out what's going on with the wing bottom. I haven't noticed that until this post.:confused::confused:

Attachments

• Pitts_front.jpg
    Pitts_front.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Pitts.jpg
    Pitts.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Pittsrear.jpg
    Pittsrear.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Pitts_top.jpg
    Pitts_top.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Pitts_bottom.jpg
    Pitts_bottom.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Just thought I'd say, I HATE MAPPING!!!!:p

2hrs in, and Ive only gotten the wings, fuse, and h stabs done. Hopefully the rest will go much smoother though. Another reason modeling wing ribs may not be worth it, you create small faces that can easily get missed when mapping.:D

Ahhhh...........familiar territory again.:p Ive gotten more done in an hour than I did in almost four in Blender. It would be nice to be able to map this way there. Oh well:D

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 17
TIP: Use the average island scale option in the Blender UV-Editor. This way, you UV-Islands will be scaled according to the three dimensional space they are taking up on you 3D-model. As I can see from your screenshot your wing faces are taking up less texture space than your ailerons or fuselage faces. It would also be easier for you to map the wing faces from the top together with the ailerons so you can easier texture the whole wing surface...

Greets,

Max

Attachments

• average island scale.png
    average island scale.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
While I have no intention of moving away from Blender back to Wings, I am curious what it is about mapping in wings that is so much easier. I have only mapped in Blender.

I have only mapped in Wings. It's easier. (See what I did there?)

Well I understand that obviously mapping for me right now would be easier in Blender and for you would be easier in Wings. But Andy tried doing the mapping in Blender and just couldn't get it to work for him. So I am curious specifically what he finds easier about Wings. I'm sure he would have preferred to stay in Blender because there are some real advantages (not having to rename your objects, ability to do pivots in the same program, etc.)

Sometimes something is just inherently easier in one program than another. I'll give an example. In wings, it is really easy to find the volume of objects. In Blender, not so much. When creating the physics for my Yak, I exported back to wings to do that. (I used the results when creating my physics for the model).

The big issue for me at the moment is how Blender beaks the islands apart with angle degree. There are also other issues, but time is sensitive right now and I can't get into it, but I will when I get a chance.

I managed to finish getting all parts mapped. Now for the fun part, aligning the map. Any volunteers? :p

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 8
Hehehe..............I ask for help there on every model. I've yet to find anyone to do it. Just one of those things. Show me a modeler who enjoys it.:D:p

Arranging the part layout on the map, then fine tuning so the letter boxes line up. That allows for easier coloring for stripes or graphics that may cross over more than one part.

Back