3ds question - one of many:)

flyintexan

The tutorials posted are great....thank you to all who have contributed.
Background:
I am building the models in solid edge, saving each component as an IGES.
Importing into 3ds 7 with no problems.
Assigning names, hierarchy (sp?), no problem.
Assigning pivots, seemingly no problem.
I am using a temporary material assignment (tga) by using the nextstar sample model material in 3ds...I am still trying to learn material, tga, etc...
Right now, I would like to solve my issue of my spinner...despite how I save it, import it (into 3ds - iges), assign material, it does not appear when loaded in RF3.5..???? The propeller is there and all items work fine, just no spinner?

I'm guessing it's a simple solution to a dumb/simple mistake...can't get it though...

any/all help is appreciated.

regards,
flyintexan

Attachments

• ScreenShot1259463671.jpg
    ScreenShot1259463671.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 26
do you have it named ~CS_SPINNER

remember to asign the pivot to that as well

also link it to the fuse (root frame)

It should be called ~CS_SPINNER, also need the ~CS_ENGINE component.
If you called it ~CS_ENGINE1 you should also follow up with ~CS_SPINNER1, etc...

.3ds format has limitation of 10 characters, check that it is not being truncated.

phrank said:
It should be called ~CS_SPINNER, also need the ~CS_ENGINE component.
If you called it ~CS_ENGINE1 you should also follow up with ~CS_SPINNER1, etc...

.3ds format has limitation of 10 characters, check that it is not being truncated.

Good call on the ~CS_ENGINE phrank, but looking at his picture there is a prop that has spawned.....so I would assume he did that.

Which brings him to part two of your advice.

Thanks guys! I removed the #1 from the engine and spinner titles (only one engine anyway) and the spinner appeared in Real flight!

If I had a multi engine though, how would I go about changing the name after exporting to a kex? (I think I saw something about this on another thread???)

~CS_ENGINE1 ->~CS_SPINNER1
~CS_ENGINE2 ->~CS_SPINNER2
~CS_ENGINE3 ->~CS_SPINNER3
~CS_ENGINE4 ->~CS_SPINNER4

In general: ~CS_ENGINE[X] -> ~CS_SPINNER[X] for X=Numerical value
Every engine component needs it's own spinner component...

Max

Still going....nowhere:)

When I name the components in 3ds with ~CS_ENGINE1 -> ~CS_SPINNER1, I get no spinner, but I do get a working prop.....

When I name the components in 3ds with ~CS_ENGINE -> ~CS_SPINNER, I get the spinner, but no working prop and the engine disk shows up????

In both cases the engine physics still work....

Comments?..:)

Attachments

• ScreenShot1259800362.jpg
    ScreenShot1259800362.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 11
  • ScreenShot1259800915.jpg
    ScreenShot1259800915.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 6
In the Engine component of the Aircraft editor.
Select the one you named.
Sorry, I don't have my Interlink with me to show you.
You may need to turn on advanced option in the Aircraft Editor to see it.

EDIT:
OK, let's look at Doug's Physics Tutorial, he's got an illustration of it there.
Notice he is using ~CS_ENGINE1 in his example.
https://forums.realflight.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9067

Doesn't matter what you call it for single engine birds.

Last edited:
Got it...Sweet....checked my hierarchy again...had the spinner to the engine and then engine to the fuselage.....RF pdf guide shows the engine and spinner to be independent of one another and independent of the fuselage...

Thanks for all the help!....now to go dig into the CS tutorials... :mad: This UVW map stuff looks daunting..

-flyintexan

Attachments

• ScreenShot1259801968.jpg
    ScreenShot1259801968.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 15
Yeah, unwrapping can be tough at first.
I was actually surprised that 5th graders are learning the basics of unfolding the faces of a 3D object.
In their world it's called "Net of a solid figure", the concept is basically the same as the more complex shapes we unfold during the UV mapping.
This little web applet really helped my son understand it a lot better, hopefully it's not too far off-topic from your thread, but it does in a very simplistic form illustrate what the modelers need to do.
http://www.mathsnet.net/geometry/solid/nets.html

Good Luck...

I have gone through the texture tutuorial links and had success using the waylon art tutorial (http://waylon-art.com/uvw_tutorial/uvwtut_01.html). However, it seems that this method/tutorial is for a single object within the file.... How is it that all of the uv maps in examples I've seen on threads end up in one "edit UVs" screen...which can then be saved to a tga via Textporter. When I try to select multiple parts and apply the uv unwrap modifier, it will disable the Edit button... I was able to send a decent UV map for a single part (wing panel) to a tga file.....

BTW, it took me an hour to find the Textporter after installing it...:)...took me forever to realize where exactly the "Utilities" menu was....

Sorry for all the questions...I know I'm missing something here that is large and simplistic in theory......getting there...very slowly....

Back