40% Pitts Challenger (Bulldog)

Takes very long time to load into RF9, also took about 2 minutes just to get into the aircraft editor and crashed RF when exiting the editor.
Color scheme looks great, only thing I notice is a small red stripe on the right hstab tip.

Attachments

• Pitts.jpg
    Pitts.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 10
I loaded up the new CS and had the same problem asj had a super long load time and then if you try to open the editor the same thing happens again. Even after you restart RealFlight and load the plane again that happens. ASJ try this. Load both of the TGA files in the plane directory in your Photoshop and then do a "Save As" and save them both as "32-bit Compressed" TGA files and everything should work okay then. Or at least it did for me. It looks like there's a problem with the way they're being saved. Abaser take a look at the settings when you save the TGA files there seems to be a problem with them.

I also get warning messages when I load the plane.

RF9 Warning Messages.jpg

Takes very long time to load into RF9, also took about 2 minutes just to get into the aircraft editor and crashed RF when exiting the editor.
Color scheme looks great, only thing I notice is a small red stripe on the right hstab tip.
Thanks for the feedback. I may have to abort the color change idea. Adding the color did increase my load time, but only by a couple seconds so I didn’t think it would be a problem. I made sure I compressed the file when saving this time so that shouldn’t be the issue anymore

I loaded up the new CS and had the same problem asj had a super long load time and then if you try to open the editor the same thing happens again. Even after you restart RealFlight and load the plane again that happens. ASJ try this. Load both of the TGA files in the plane directory in your Photoshop and then do a "Save As" and save them both as "32-bit Compressed" TGA files and everything should work okay then. Or at least it did for me. It looks like there's a problem with the way they're being saved. Abaser take a look at the settings when you save the TGA files there seems to be a problem with them.

I also get warning messages when I load the plane.

View attachment 115737
You’re getting that message because of the base physics I haven’t edited yet.

You’re getting that message because of the base physics I haven’t edited yet.
After I loaded both of your TGA files in Photoshop and saved them again the plane loaded the normal speed, very quickly. I mentioned the warnings because I didn't know if you got them in RF8.

You know I didn't think I'd like the effect you added looking at the pictures but in person I think it looks very nice it gives a bluish cast to the black areas as you move across the plane looking at the gloss. So if there's NOT some sort of issue when you're saving the TGA files I'll be happy to send you a ZIP file with both TGA files after I save them from Photoshop so you can release the plane with your spec map mods. Let's see how they work for ASJ after he saves them from his Photoshop, that should say if the files from Photoshop would work for everyone. (that would need to be tested not to mess up your release)

After I loaded both of your TGA files in Photoshop and saved them again the plane loaded the normal speed, very quickly. I mentioned the warnings because I didn't know if you got them in RF8.

You know I didn't think I'd like the effect you added looking at the pictures but in person I think it looks very nice it gives a bluish cast to the black areas as you move across the plane looking at the gloss. So if there's NOT some sort of issue when your saving the plane I'll be happy to send you a ZIP file with both of the TGA files after I save them from Photoshop here so you can release the plane with your spec map mods. Let's see how they work for ASJ after he saves them from his Photoshop there, that should say if the files from Photoshop would work for everyone. (that would need to be tested not to mess up your release)
Sounds good. I’ll double check the file sizes on my end but the compression box is checked so I would think they should be right.

Sounds good. I’ll double check the file sizes on my end but the compression box is checked so I would think they should be right.
Yes both of your TGA files definitely looked compressed there size looks right. I'm thinking some sort of other issue. Remember we had the same problem in RF9 before until I saved it off from Photoshop, so maybe the fact the TGA file wasn't compressed was NOT the issue then but the same problem we're seeing now.

I had to use Gimp to read them and then save them back out and that fixed things again. I do get the same warning message abaser posted. So it's something besides the compression causing the lockup.

I had to use Gimp to read them and then save them back out and that fixed things again. I do get the same warning message abaser posted. So it's something besides the compression causing the lockup.
What warning message are you referring to?

This error shows up twice on the screen when the plane is loaded (using RF9):

Fuselage Component Movable Pod has no frame but has non-zero aerodynamics percent.
Oh ok. Yeah that’s physics thing. It’ll be fixed when I get there.

Compressed the tga and tga_s, now it works perfect, fast load times in the editor and does not crash RF9 when exit to simulator is selected.
Color scheme looks great Abaser.

Did my final render tonight. I'm calling the CS done. As for the file sizes, here's what I've got. The .tga is 1.36mb and the -s.tga is 991kb on my end. I'm not sure why this is giving everyone fits trying to import. Anyway, I'm going to start tweaking the physics next. I'll try the AV woodzy created and go from there.

Attachments

• Final Pitts.jpg
    Final Pitts.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 14
Real nice Andy, I really like the sheen on it... :D :D As long as I`m here, I`ll share a real nice pic. I found for the CS I`m doing, hoping it`ll help me a lot for reference more than the other pics. I`ve posted...It`s the "REAL PLANE"....:D:D

Attachments

• ScreenShot598.jpg
    ScreenShot598.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 12
I guess I'll mention I had the same problem other people mentioned where the plane took "minutes" to appear when I imported it and when I opened the editor the same thing happened. I think there must be something wrong with the TGA files but they seem to be compressed okay. I think you use GIMP and I saw that BrokeDad loaded and saved them and it fixed the problem so it appears something is happening when you save them from Your GIMP that isn't happening when BrokeDad saves them from His GIMP. I use Photoshop so fixing them like technoid mentioned worked here too.

Real nice Andy, I really like the sheen on it... :D :D As long as I`m here, I`ll share a real nice pic. I found for the CS I`m doing, hoping it`ll help me a lot for reference more than the other pics. I`ve posted...It`s the "REAL PLANE"....:D:D
That's the picture I'm using for my color scheme too it should be ready for day one.

Ok, give this one a shot and see what happens on import. If this one doesn't work, I'll pass along the files to someone else to export an EA to try and fix the slow dds creation.

Physics are basically finished. I played with a few things that I had earlier and decided to go with it. I like the way it flies. Whether or not it flies like the real thing I can't say nor will I try to act like it does. It flies like I like it, probably too easy, but it is what it is. I did notice a few things I have to fix before uploading to the swaps. The tail gear can't be assigned at the moment to animate the springs due to naming problems, and the control horn they connect to seems to have open faces or something I'll fix next go around. That's all that I can think of at the moment that I know is wrong, so please go over it and let me know if there's something else that needs attention.

Attachments

• 40% Pitts Challenger_EA.RFX
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
I downloaded your new beta and imported it but I had the same problem again it took 3 minutes from the time I started the import to the time the plane showed up. Then I exited RealFlight and started it back up and as soon as I saw the field it started creating the DDS files again and it took 2+ minutes to see the plane on the field from the time I saw the field and the creating the DDS file message appeared to seeing the plane on the field.

Then I tried opening the RF editor and it took 2+ minutes to open the editor then I got the "unexpected error" box so RF shut down after I pressed the OK button to send a report to KE.

Then I opened an explorer window showing a 'detail' view of the contents of the planes folder and started RealFlight again, what I saw was the pitts_red.dds and pitts_red_s.dds being built one after the other over and over for 2+ minutes before the plane appeared on the field.

So we'll see if asj5547 and BrokeDad still have issues this time.

OH I did restart my computer and let it set for 5 minutes before trying to import the new build to make sure everything was fresh. I don't know what the deal is but this is what it did before too.

OH one more thing I did before I restarted my computer I went through the RealFlight 9 folder and deleted everything related to the plane, even in the cache folder. Then I restarted the computer and let it set for 5 minutes before trying to import the plane. I wanted to make sure everything was clean and fresh for the import process.

Back