40% Pitts Challenger (Bulldog)

abaser

After much headache trying to get Max going again, I think I have it almost figured out and setup like I used to have it. I've still got work to do to get my render setup to work with my previous settings and not crash Max, but for now modeling can begin. Didn't have much time tonight, so getting the scene setup is about all I had a chance to do.

Attachments

• Start.jpg
    Start.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 77
Awesome Andy. I know your not that much into Cs`s with a lot of graphics, are you considering the one you`re showing..??? I ask because in the past I was considering doing the one in your pics., BUT, there wasn`t a Pitt`s close enough in RF to justify doing it. I`m kind of picky that way...:p:p

What you see is what's planned. You're welcome to it if you want it or I can try my hand at it.

Well, I`m still back in RF 6.5, SO, I won`t be able to download it, unless you release it in that version, So, have at it..:p

UT.. Do you still fly the simulator these days or do you just enjoy the forums? There surely has been lots of models you missed out on by staying with 6.5.

I’m finally going to try and get back to this one. Got the fuselage started last night (I’ll edit this post to include a pic later). UT, you’ve mentioned you’re interested in doing this particular CS, so I’ll let you have it when the time comes.

Plans for this one are pretty simple and straight forward. Being it’s my first one in quite some time I’ll stick to just the basics for now. We’ll see just how far I’ll take it as the build progresses and my brain starts to work again. Gotta say though, being out for a while has made me rethink the way I model and old habits have shown their negative effects. Fresh eyes see what will hopefully make for nicer models.

In the meantime, if anyone is bored and just looking for something to do, any info that would be useful for flight setup would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Andy, I just got RF fired up after updates, man what a diff, gonna have to figure out the new digs. You mentioned something about the wingspan I believe, I was thinking about/around 10-14 ft., just for visibility purposes in RF. I sent you PM yesterday asking what version of RF your using, could you please let me know. it`ll start coming back to you. ;);)

Yeah, I responded I can do any version from 5.5-8. That is as long as I play nice with the polys on it. :LOL:

Current progress. Still in rough form but I’m just trying to make it look like something at the moment.

Attachments

• 6434063E-E615-4875-9B63-2C7619844E00.jpeg
    6434063E-E615-4875-9B63-2C7619844E00.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 39
  • C2778AA9-D6D5-45B0-A44A-5B91150E6DC7.jpeg
    C2778AA9-D6D5-45B0-A44A-5B91150E6DC7.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 31FB81C0-2601-4078-A176-C1AD5E2BD9CA.jpeg
    31FB81C0-2601-4078-A176-C1AD5E2BD9CA.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 29
I’m finally going to try and get back to this one. Got the fuselage started last night (I’ll edit this post to include a pic later). UT, you’ve mentioned you’re interested in doing this particular CS, so I’ll let you have it when the time comes.

Plans for this one are pretty simple and straight forward. Being it’s my first one in quite some time I’ll stick to just the basics for now. We’ll see just how far I’ll take it as the build progresses and my brain starts to work again. Gotta say though, being out for a while has made me rethink the way I model and old habits have shown their negative effects. Fresh eyes see what will hopefully make for nicer models.

In the meantime, if anyone is bored and just looking for something to do, any info that would be useful for flight setup would be greatly appreciated.
Current progress. Still in rough form but I’m just trying to make it look like something at the moment.
Great pics. and progress Andy, have always loved your build threads, if it comes out like your past builds, it`ll be fantastic. Can`t wait to see upcoming updates.

UT, here’s a link to some good CS pics.

Thanks Andy, I think I came across that at some time in my research, (not sure) so thanks for posting it..(y)(y), there`s not that much out there on this plane in regards to pics., but then, I really don`t know how many were build,I would guess they were a "by order only" plane, thus, making it a limited production plane.

Last edited:
Definitely cool pictures. The plane looks great.
Thanks tech. Going to try and get a little more done tonight, but after that things will slow down for a little while. My wife is having surgery tomorrow so I’ll be pulling double duty around the house for the next few weeks at least. I’ll do what I can when I can though.

UT, you mentioned a 10-14 ft WS, but I’m going to model this one as a 40% as in the title so it’ll be released as 87” WS. I’ll be following the specs listed in the link I posted above. That’s just over 7 ft so shouldn’t be a hard scale up job if desired.

Thanks tech. Going to try and get a little more done tonight, but after that things will slow down for a little while. My wife is having surgery tomorrow so I’ll be pulling double duty around the house for the next few weeks at least. I’ll do what I can when I can though.

UT, you mentioned a 10-14 ft WS, but I’m going to model this one as a 40% as in the title so it’ll be released as 87” WS. I’ll be following the specs listed in the link I posted above. That’s just over 7 ft so shouldn’t be a hard scale up job if desired.
It`s your build Andy, far be it for me to tell you how you want to/should build it. I do have one question though, how does that WS compare to the Pitts you did back in the day ...?? I`m thinking it`ll be pretty close to the same size..?? I hope all goes well with your wife..

Had just a little time tonight, so here's a little something for your viewing pleasure. The wireframe is still a rough draft and will get refined along the way. Almost done creating the main structure and realizing that I may just go a little more in depth than I originally planned. :unsure:??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 02-21-20 at 10.16 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 02-21-20 at 10.16 PM.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 02-21-20 at 10.15 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 02-21-20 at 10.15 PM.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
Had just a little time tonight, so here's a little something for your viewing pleasure. The wireframe is still a rough draft and will get refined along the way. Almost done creating the main structure and realizing that I may just go a little more in depth than I originally planned. :unsure:??
WOW.!!!Andy, viewing pleasure is huge understatement, that plane looks absolutely FANTASTIC..!! My jaw is in my lap. This style of a build thread that you`re doing, is what I miss so much from the past, your renders are, and have always been works of art, So nice too see you back here, and back in the saddle again, and you certainly haven`t lost your magic touch. I`ll be looking at these renders for the rest of the night. :D:D

Back