40% Pitts Challenger (Bulldog)

Loads fast in RF9 and RF8.
Only one small problem I notice is when loaded into Flight School HD Airport the right wheel sinks into the ground. Does not happen at any other airport.
Do you have scenery objects turned on? There’s another field but I can’t remember which one, that if you turn that off the markings on the runway go away and leaves holes that you can’t see. Just a thought.

Since it looks like this problem is resolved, I’ll give everyone a little heads up on the issue. After going back and forth with technoid several times (there’s over 90 emails involved in that conversation), I finally reached out to Ryan asking if it could possibly be an issue with my RF export. I’m assuming he downloaded my last file that was bad and responded that the date on my computer was ahead one day. Ask that has to be done to fix the issue was to correct the date on my computer. I personally don’t know why that has an effect on things, and i didn’t ask for an explanation, but for future references to builders out there, if your having issues importing/exporting good files, check the date!!

Since it’s been years since I’ve flown anything, if anyone has suggestions on the flight physics please let me know. I personally like the way it flies, but it’s probably too forgiving in all reality.

I'm glad this is solved! It was quite a puzzle. Here's a little background info to explain why it was behaving the way it was:

As all the content creators will know, RealFlight generates .dds files from the original .tgas. If a .dds already exists for a source .tga, the way RealFlight determines if it is current or needs to be regenerated is by comparing the dates of the two files. If the .tga is newer, then obviously it has been modified since the .dds was last generated, so the latter should be updated.

In this particular case, the time on abaser's computer was about one day fast. It caused no problems for him. But when he shared an EA and others imported it, their computer generated a .dds with the current, correct time stamp on their machine, and that was always some number of hours behind the timestamp on abaser's original .tgas. So they were always out of date. And RF checks those at a number of points along the way when loading a vehicle. That's why it kept generating and regenerating the diffuse and spec map .dds files.

Eventually it would get through all the points where it performs that check and successfully load the vehicle. But the .dds files were still technically out of date, despite actually being correct. So the same thing would happen each time the vehicle was loaded. (The editor, by virtue of what it does and how it works, probably ends up doing that check a bunch more times than a regular load, eventually causing a black hole and a crash. ;))

I could not reproduce the issue here, which made it pretty tricky to figure out. But I was always looking at it more than 24 hours after the original upload, at which point the .tga dates were no longer in the future. And when abaser uploaded a newer beta to see if it fixed anything, it restarted that "clock", so people had the same problems all over again when by that point the old one actually would have behaved normally.

That's also why somebody else reexporting the .tgas without making any changes to them magically made things work. They simply didn't have a timestamp from the future.

Phew! That was a fun one... ?

Thanks for the explanation Ryan. It actually made sense to me (which is a miracle in itself when talking computer stuff), and also makes me not feel so stupid. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

HA.. Oddly enough I was thinking about this problem this morning and realized it had to do with the fact RF checks the DDS vs TGA time and remakes the DDS file if necessary. But "honestly" I forgot to post about it because I was working on the MKIII at the time and then forgot to post after I finished. But I was still wondering why it stopped after a while, so now I know. I thought it probably did it until some type of timeout happened. Thanks Ryan.

I still wonder why the first attempt at generating DDS files failed without a different version to compare to. Maybe the mere fact of the date being in the future?

I still wonder why the first attempt at generating DDS files failed without a different version to compare to. Maybe the mere fact of the date being in the future?
Oh, the .dds generation never actually failed. I may not have explained that part clearly enough. It succeeded every time! But the newly generated .dds files were still "older" than the .tgas according to their respective time stamps. And RealFlight checks more than once on load, so every time it looked it saw "out of date" .dds files which triggered repeated regeneration.

Thought I`d share some progress shots, still a lot of work to do on this side before I copy it over to rt. side, but it`s getting there, check out the little plane on the "sky dynamics" logo (in front of cockpit) I thought for sure it would be a blur, but to my surprise, it came out pretty nice... :D :D . On a side note, dang Andy, had to go to PG. 3 to find your thread..:eek::eek:

Attachments

• ScreenShot1587331449.jpg
    ScreenShot1587331449.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 17
  • ScreenShot1587331469.jpg
    ScreenShot1587331469.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 17
  • ScreenShot1587331550.jpg
    ScreenShot1587331550.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 18
  • ScreenShot1587331608.jpg
    ScreenShot1587331608.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 17
That's looking fantastic UT!
Thanks Rc51...it`ll be all downhill after I finish this side, still a ton of work before I complete the CS though. Haven`t even touched the bottoms of the main wings, top of the bottom main and Hor. stabs. and elevators.

Looks good UT. Question though. I’m seeing some of the mounts for the rear stab flying wires are yellow while some are black. Is that an issue with my mapping? I thought I remembered mapping those separately. Is that not the case? I’ll look tonight when I get back to it as well.

Wow looks soooo good. Great Job UncleTwist
Thanks Boof, like I`ve said, still a lot work to do on that side, I thought it was good enough for some progress shots though, it`s still a diamond in the rough... ;) :D Gotta do Andy and Jim Leroy justice.

Back