6.5 Navguide windspeed unlike PgUp change report

Milto

In RF 6.5 I display wind speed and direction in the Navguide. If I change the wind speed with PgUp/PgDn there is a text report (green) in the lower left corner of the screen showing the new wind speed but this does not agree with the speed in the Navguide. Which is the real wind speed?
Milto

In RF 6.5 I display wind speed and direction in the Navguide. If I change the wind speed with PgUp/PgDn there is a text report (green) in the lower left corner of the screen showing the new wind speed but this does not agree with the speed in the Navguide. Which is the real wind speed?
Milto

The wind speed varies depending on your altitude and turbulence. It is close to correct at ground level. This is much like real world flying as the higher you fly, the faster the wind speed is.

Using Page Up/Down sets the prevailing wind speed for the airport. The wind speed shown in the NavGuides is indicating the wind speed at the aircraft's current location.

As csgill75 pointed out, the wind speed is not static (unchanging), nor is it uniform throughout the world. That means you'll see a couple of different things.

1. With the default turbulence setting of 100%, at any given location in the airport the wind speed will vary a bit, even though you've set it to a specific number. (The Wind Variation and Wind Gust settings will also affect this, though they are set to 0% by default.)
  2. For any given wind speed that you've set, the wind speed will tend to be higher up in the sky and lower at ground level.
For example, at Flight School HD I set the wind speed to 10 MPH just now. While sitting idle on the runway, the NavGuides report speeds of 2-11 MPH. After climbing a couple hundred feet, I'm seeing speeds of about 20 MPH.

Back