[84235] Graphics are not antialiased using Radeon graphics adapter

Mayven

Thank you to everyone for making this update. I've installed the beta, and rolled back and forth to the original version several times now and that works flawlessly.

Here is an initial comment - the aircraft graphics in the new RF Evolution Beta are worse. I've attached the same plane in the same location for RF Evolution original and beta below and you can see the difference (just look at the rudder and prop to begin with).

RF Beta:

rf evo beta.png

RF Original:
rf evo.png

My Radeon graphics card has an option to override anti-aliasing settings for directx-9 applications. Could this be why the older version looks better than the beta? Is it possible to improve the anti-aliasing settings for the beta version?

Thanks for your work.

@Mayven, thanks for the initial feedback. I'm glad you've been able to access the beta as intended. I hope not too many people have the issue technoid has encountered.

I think you've hit on the exact reason for the difference: the DX9 version appears to have antialiasing in effect while the DX11 version does not.

I'm not personally very familiar with the Radeon options, but I assume it has other methods of forcing AA on that would let you do it for the DX11 version as well. At that point they should match in quality.

Same results with my configuration.

I usually force AA with custom profile for my GPU card but this had no change on this beta.

But, there is a noticeable boost in performance on this beta.

This is a very old rig but runs the sim very well!

I have included the build details:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3360M CPU @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16280MB RAM
Page File: 7453MB used, 25210MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Display Memory: 1792 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
Shared Memory: 1760 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
HDR Support: Not Supported

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 650M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device

Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 10147 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2007 MB
Shared Memory: 8139 MB

@Mayven...I think you've hit on the exact reason for the difference: the DX9 version appears to have antialiasing in effect while the DX11 version does not.

I'm not personally very familiar with the Radeon options, but I assume it has other methods of forcing AA on that would let you do it for the DX11 version as well. At that point they should match in quality.
Thanks Ryan - I'm not sure you can force anti-aliasing for directx11 (although hopefully someone will set me straight on this). Anyway - in general I've found that the beta has degraded graphics in terms of looks, but that performance has greatly improved. For example, the Japanese Temple site would stutter, but now is very smooth. I'm also going to test stability. I used to find having scenery objects enabled caused realflight to crash. I'll see what it does now.

Hopefully the programmers will add anti-aliasing to the control panel so I can switch it on there. But, in the meantime, I'm really pleased that you guys have moved to directx11.

@Mayven and @poshsoup , thanks for this report. We've filed case #84235 in our issue tracking to cover this, and we can reproduce the issue. We'll report back when we publish a fix.

I'll edit the thread title to include the case number for tracking purposes.

I'm going to guess the increase in framerate that both of you are seeing is due to the graphics adapter not having to work as hard with antialiasing inactive. It's a worthwhile thing to observe and report, though!

I'm going to guess the increase in framerate that both of you are seeing is due to the graphics adapter not having to work as hard with antialiasing inactive. It's a worthwhile thing to observe and report, though!
Yeah - could be. Is there anyway of viewing the actual framerate? It could be really useful information to know if the frame rate decreases or increases for the same settings.

The list of items displayed in the NavGuides gadget is configurable, but by default it includes framerate. That's the easiest way by far.

1692119037634.png

Back