9.5 installs but wont run, Unexpected Error has occurred

LinuxGuyGary

Ver 9.5

Using with interlink Elite, install went fine no issues, initial splash screen opens, but clicking Run Realflight program, It does not run, and returns error message " An Unexpected error has occurred. Would you like to send an error report to Knife Edge Software? which I have done several times. Computer is AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 4.05 GHz 16GB mem. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660ti. I probably should also mention, I have the latest BIOS, latest video drivers direct from Nvidia, and all current on windows updates.

Was asked by Horizon Hobby support, to run Direct X diagnostics and send the log, which I did. they then said .. USB voltage is out of spec, but testing proves otherwise @ 5.03. I also tested with a USB powered hub, and a USB switch:
  • USB Powered hub, measures 5.25v same error message
  • Direct to PC measures 5.03v same error message
  • 4 way USB switch measures 4.59v same error message
I have tried both front and rear USB2 and USB3 ports with the same result. there are at least 2 different USB chipsets on the PC. but I get the same result in every case. See attached USB hub list.

Sooo.. current system with a decent graphics card and enough memory. What else do I try?

Attachments

• USB-Voltage.JPG
    USB-Voltage.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 18
  • rf9_5.jpg
    rf9_5.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 19
  • USB.JPG
    USB.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 18
Your 4 port usb switch is out-of-spec. Is it supposed to be powered?

Have you tried a powered usb hub ( 4 port ) ?

I would have to do more testing that just voltage ... you need to take several voltage readings with varying safe current loads to determine what's going on with your 5v supply... but I can tell you that often PCs have substandard usb voltage sources; I almost always recommend powered usb hubs for those cases.

Do you have on-board video also... AMD or Intel ? I am not familiar with your processor, just make sure you're not using the on-chip video if it has it... called an APU. Make sure with DX Diagnostics that its using NVidia.

marcus

Potential wild goose chase.

Not likely that the USB voltage is truly out of range.
Get clarification from Horizon on where and how they are determining this.
Try the Interlink and software on another computer however possible.
Rule out that the Interlink device itself is not a problem.
Unplug every USB device and any hubs of course.

Run the software without the Interlink. And see if you get the same exact error at runtime.
Also see if it will start up with a generic joystick/Gaming controller installed/plugged in.
RF 9.5 works with other controllers.

Getting more extreme-
Clean install video drivers.
Remove any questionable software (antivirus/antimalware) that might interfere.
Factory reset the motherboard/bios settings.
And fresh install Windows 10 on a test hard drive and Realflight to rule things out.

Furthermore did you install from the web download? and all up to date on Realflight?
From your post I can't tell if you already did this or if you are trying to install from disk or what.

Same issue. This is total nonsense. For $200 the thing doesn't work out of the box. Very very frustrating. Return policy is a joke too. So I'll have to dispute on my credit card. Windows 10, latest drivers. Intel processor, ASUS R5 230 Series graphics, 16 RAM and 733GB free disk after install.

R5 is an AMD GPU. Current AMD drivers don't work with DirectX9. If you search this message board there are dozens of threads that document this. Some old drivers work, but I don't remember the version numbers of the ones that work. I know they're documented on here somewhere.

I'm having the same issue, it says its running then stops and the play button shows up again. please help i have tried everything on the discussions forum.

Computer Information:
Manufacturer: Alienware
Model: Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition R14
Form Factor: Desktop
No Touch Input Detected

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor
CPU Family: 0x19
CPU Model: 0x21
CPU Stepping: 0x0
CPU Type: 0x0
Speed: 3394 Mhz
32 logical processors
16 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Supported
AES: Supported
AVX: Supported
AVX2: Supported
AVX512F: Unsupported
AVX512PF: Unsupported
AVX512ER: Unsupported
AVX512CD: Unsupported
AVX512VNNI: Unsupported
SHA: Supported
CMPXCHG16B: Supported
LAHF/SAHF: Supported
PrefetchW: Unsupported

Operating System Version:
Windows 11 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
DirectX Driver Name: nvldumd.dll
Driver Version: 31.0.15.1694
DirectX Driver Version: 31.0.15.1694
Driver Date: 7 21 2022
OpenGL Version: 4.6
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 119 Hz
DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
VendorID: 0x10de
DeviceID: 0x2203
Revision: 0xa1
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Primary Display Size: 46.97" x 13.23" (48.78" diag)
119.3cm x 33.6cm (123.9cm diag)
Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
Primary VRAM: 24563 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers (Bose USB Audio)

Memory:
RAM: 130994 MB

VR Hardware:
VR Headset: None detected

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Media Type: Undetermined
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 3842998 MB
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 1907437 MB
OS Install Date: Jul 21 2022
Game Controller: InterLinkDX detected
MAC Address hash: a4a926189aeb8b0aad25f7c8580403867f50c553

Storage:
Disk serial number hash: f6305dcf
Number of SSDs: 1
SSD sizes: 2048G
Number of HDDs: 1
HDD sizes: 2000G

@robin74667 reported, this is what he had to do to run Realflight on his PC with similar specs to your PC.

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel

2. Change the preferred graphics processor in the management 3D settings to a high-performance NVIDIA processor (or other high-performance processors)

3. Set the PhysX processor to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU (your independent graphics card model)

After the above settings are completed and saved, you can run reallight perfectly

@robin74667 reported, this is what he had to do to run Realflight on his PC with similar specs to your PC.

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel

2. Change the preferred graphics processor in the management 3D settings to a high-performance NVIDIA processor (or other high-performance processors)

3. Set the PhysX processor to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU (your independent graphics card model)

After the above settings are completed and saved, you can run reallight perfectly
I cant find this to change the Setting the PhysX processor to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU (your independent graphics card model)

Back