9.5s steam update loop.

1024kb

Moving 9.5 to steam solved the installer problem I didn’t have. Now every time I try and run Realflight 9.5s, I have wait 5 min for steam to try and update to the 16 Dec update, which appears to proceed, but next time I load realflight the update is downloaded and applied again. Begining to wish I stayed with 9.5.

Moving 9.5 to steam solved the installer problem I didn’t have. Now every time I try and run Realflight 9.5s, I have wait 5 min for steam to try and update to the 16 Dec update, which appears to proceed, but next time I load realflight the update is downloaded and applied again. Begining to wish I stayed with 9.5.

Sorry but I have not had this happen since I went from RF9.5 (download version) to RF9.5s (Steam version) last month. As long as I already have Steam open RF9.5s only takes about 15 seconds to startup.

Not sure what the 16 Dec update is? Last one I see is 10 Dec which was the initial 9.5s update. Maybe check your Steam Library RF9.5s/properties/local files and run Verify. Either that, or maybe try uninstalling it and install it again. Otherwise, contact RF support I guess.

It’s the steam client that is stuck in an update loop. This is the update store.steampowered.com/oldnews/?feed=steam_client

If I open the steam client and click about steam, it reports the version as:
Built: 16 Dec 2021, at 14:41:19
Steam API: v020
Steam package version: 1639697812

It seems it has already installed the 16 Dec update, then just installs it again every time I open steam or Realflight. I’m on windows 11. Am I the only one one the the problem? I have read lots of reports of it on the steam forum. There doesn’t seem to be any way to report it to steam either.

It’s the steam client that is stuck in an update loop. This is the update store.steampowered.com/oldnews/?feed=steam_client

If I open the steam client and click about steam, it reports the version as:
Built: 16 Dec 2021, at 14:41:19
Steam API: v020
Steam package version: 1639697812

It seems it has already installed the 16 Dec update, then just installs it again every time I open steam or Realflight. I’m on windows 11. Am I the only one one the the problem? I have read lots of reports of it on the steam forum. There doesn’t seem to be any way to report it to steam either.
OK, sound more like a SteamVR problem and I don't see anything like this reported in the RF9.5s steam forum. Maybe try going to your Steam library, right click on SteamVR/properties/beta and opt into the SteamVR beta. That's what I'm using without any problems.

Thanks for your suggestion. Opted into steam beta, and it downloaded another update. Checking for updates said I was up to date. Rebooted opened steam, and it loads the update again. I do notice that when I shutdown windows 11 pops up a message for about a 1/4 of a second, about closing apps. I had to video it, so I could read the message and the two apps are steam. Even if I close or exit steam the update loop happens the next time I open Realflight.

Doing a duckduck go search, I found lots of threads about steam updates looping. Not any solutions though.

Thanks for your suggestion. Opted into steam beta, and it downloaded another update. Checking for updates said I was up to date. Rebooted opened steam, and it loads the update again. I do notice that when I shutdown windows 11 pops up a message for about a 1/4 of a second, about closing apps. I had to video it, so I could read the message and the two apps are steam. Even if I close or exit steam the update loop happens the next time I open Realflight.

Doing a duckduck go search, I found lots of threads about steam updates looping. Not any solutions though.
Too bad mate. Could be a win11 related problem since Steam does not officially support win11 yet. You are probably best to contact Steam support and see if they can help. I googled you issue and did not see a lot of fixes, maybe the first 3x items listed on this may help;

Sorry I cannot help you further with this, esp. since I'm still on the latest win10 and am unlikely to upgrade to win11 for at least the next 6-12 months. Also an win11 article here that you may find useful;

Pretty sure it's a win11 issue with Steam. There's a new SteamVR beta out today that may help, who knows?

I have RF 9.5s on Steam and my PC is running Windows 11, I do not have any problems with RF, works normally.

I have RF 9.5s on Steam and my PC is running Windows 11, I do not have any problems with RF, works normally.
Ya, some don't have problems with win11 but unfortunately many do. Esp. with VR, the Oculus user forum is full of them. Hopefully these win11 teething problems will get sorted out soon. Win10 is supported until 2025 so there really is no need to rush out and upgrade. Lots of new PC's are coming loaded with win11 but it's easy to roll back to win10 and upgrade later because they share the same product key. Win11 seems to be one of the worst windows rollouts since win8.1 imho.

The reply from steam pointed me to this thread https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/3203745634155479256

Seems the update uses an NTFS transaction method TxF which is supposed on ensure the entire update is applied or completely undone if something goes wrong. The thread suggests temporarily disabling the transaction to get the update done, not sure I’m happy with that. The error in the log, ERROR_TRANSACTION_NOT_ACTIVE seems to suggest that the update tries to make changes after the transaction has been closed, presumably the change that indicates that the update is done Is my guess. Another guess is that a bug in windows used to let you make changes after closing the transaction which has now been fixed.

So do I disable it? Hmm

It is just the way Steam works. I have more than one game thru Steam. Mine is set to update as the PC is warming up/loading. Then whenever you click on a Steam related item you don't have to wait.

That would cause me to wait too, as Realflight is almost the only program I have on there and it only taks about 5 sec to boot up.

Disabled the TxF did the update closed steam, re enabled the TxF. Opened steam, no update, great. Loaded Realflight and it briefly said updating steam, oh no. Anyway rebooted and tried again and the update loop seems to have gone. Let’s hope they fix it so I don’t have to do that again.

Well, started Realflight tonight and the update loop is back. Took 15 minutes to download an update before I could fly. Closed steam, then openred it again and it started updating again. Whats more the version after the update is the same 16 December one.

Back