A Guide to Downloading and Importing swap files

Boof69

Hands down the most posted question by people new to the swap pages is "How do I import swap files into RealFlight" or "Where do I put the files after I unzip a downloaded swap file". First off "DO NOT UNZIP ANY SWAP FILE" This is a problem mainly had by people who use Internet Explorer. IE will change the swap files to .zip files. RealFlight will import .rfx,.g3x, and .zip files. If you unzip the file and import the .kex within you will not have the physics that make the model fly correctly. Importing a kex is only for designers who are familiar with what they are doing. The average RealFlight user should simply disregard the "Import/KEX" portion of the importer.
The attached images will guide you through the process of importing an AV(Aircraft Variant) and it's !REQUIRED! EA(Entire Aircraft). An AV will not work or import without the EA it was derived from. The same thing discussed here is true for CS(Color Schemes) and RC(Recording) files. The EA is required for all files created using it.

Crashing while creating DDS
Newer user created content sometimes use large image files to color and detail the model. This can occasionally cause the sim to crash. You can increase your chances of a fully successful import by following these steps.
  1. First delete the failed attempt.
    A previous import attempt will prevent a fresh one. Go to Simulation/Manage User Files/Aircraft/Imported find the failed import and delete.
  2. Restart Real Flight
    This will unload Real Flight from memory therefore freeing up system resources.
  3. Go to a photo field
    A photofield is less memory intensive and takes up less system resources needed for the DDS creation process.
  4. DO NOT fly any aircraft
    Flying aircraft load up memory as well.
  5. Import the g3x, rfx, or zip
    As described in the first section in this post.
  6. Restart Real Flight
    This is just extra precaution.
  7. Choose the aircraft from the list and DO NOT use your computer until the model spawns
    Using the computer for unrelated tasks will again use resources during the crucial DDS file creation.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 1,668
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 1,618
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 1,332
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 1,125
Last edited:
A little off topic, but a useful import tip that is widely overlooked: clicking the green "import successful" console message will load that new content.

Attachments

• Import successful.PNG
    Import successful.PNG
    49.5 KB · Views: 300
SO very glad this is a sticky. Thank you so much for the tip Ryan!

Another tip for newcomers is that you can import multiple files at once by selecting them in the dialog box in the second image above.

A little off topic, but a useful import tip that is widely overlooked: clicking the green "import successful" console message will load that new content.

Has anyone got this to work? I tried several times over the past couple days with no luck.

I tried it once with no luck. It was a .kex file I imported. Maybe that's an exception.

I would not necessarily expect it to work for a .kex, although I haven't tried. But I did just test it on an AP, an AV, and an EA. The mouse cursor should change to a pointing finger when hovered over that successful import message, and clicking it should load that content.

You do need to click it while it's still visible at the bottom of the screen, though. Once it disappears, it is not clickable in the console history.

I'll try one of those later then. I was trying on a .kex so that may be the problem.

I have updated Direr X. Rea; F;ight. Shut everything off. and it still gives me the Unexpected error . and shuts it down, I have followed it to a T, what now?????

Goblin
I have 2 gig memory, everything is off, I have Direct x 9, updated Realflight....I can t understand it

Are you deleting the failed attempts from the "manage user files" dialog before retrying?

Do you have the latest RF6 update? One that allows the use of custom blades? Just a thought.

Can you post a screen shot of the error? Is this happening while creating the.dds, or import?

Back