Add Ons Free! G4 & G5

ven2s

Just a note to those new to G5 and for all G4 users, original Add Ons, tweaked for G4, G4.5, and G5 are available. I don't know where to find them on G4 and 4.5, but on G5, if you go to the main page, with the P-51 illustration, go to downloads and you 'll see Add Ons there; you can probably download to G4 and 4.5 from there too. RF has redone these and uploaded them for us to download free! Just follow the easy directions and suddenly you will have alot of new planes in your G5 suite. Just remember that planes that have already been updated or tweaked in G5, that come from add ons, will not replace the G5 ones. Makes the price of G5, and G4.5, worth it, because I only had three original add ons; now I got them all and no file conflicts!!

All 5 add-ons have been availible for G4/4.5 for free for a long time now :D ...
why did you only have 3 ?? :eek: ............what took you so long??? :confused:

Yup!

:cool: Lack of knowledge. I had the 3 originals on disc and never took the time to look for the others or even knew that they were free from RF! I gotta feeling I am not the only one and that newer users should be informed. ;) Also I never had G4.5 and got G5 when it first came out. G3.5 doesn't have this option, you still have to purchase the discs. :rolleyes:

You'll probably be even more surprised how many G3.5 guys converting up to G5, don't know; alot more would upgrade faster!!

This has been discussed hundreds of times in the forum... usually it is worded that Expansion Packs 1-6 need to be purchased, and Add-Ons Volumes 1-5 are free for download.. from this website. Usually, there is confusion between addon's and Expansion Packs.

Many Many times... but one more will not hurt anything.. Hugh Jeff?

The reason they are now free is the Add-on discs will not work for G4.0/4.5/5
as most of us (as in your case) bought them when we had 3.5

This was a major problem for KE to get folks to upgrade for 2 reasons
1- all of us who bought the add -ons would now own worthless discs :mad: so
2- many were reluctent to upgrade and give up all of the content that came with the add-ons :(
so to keep every one happy and to boost sales of the upgrade KE re-did them and made them availible as a free DL :D

You can find them here: http://www.realflight.com/new/addons.html

Last edited:
AddOns discs are not worthless discs. They work perfectly well in the software for which they were designed.

jeffpn said:
AddOns discs are not worthless discs. They work perfectly well in the software for which they were designed.

Yeah! You can also load 'em up in a clay-pigeon launcher and break out the trusty shotgun. Or.., you could bundle them up in a package onto one disk and sell them on ebay. Make sure you write the description of what your are selling in very poorly written english.

Jeff you knew perfectly well what I meant......the discs are worthless as far as using them for G4.0/4.5/5.0
Of course they will still work with 3.0/3.5...DUH :eek:

By the same token, do you blame your DVD manufacturer that your old Beta tapes won't play? No! They weren't designed to work in a DVD player. And AddOns were not designed to work in G4+. It's really a rather simple concept. They each work in what they were designed for. Doesn't make them worthless.

So you would have been perfectly happy to upgrade to 4.0 and not complained one bit that your add-on discs would no longer work in version 4.0.......somehow I doubt that jeff
and after that experience would you then have bought any ex.packs knowing that quite posibbly they would not work in some future version of RF just as the add-on discs didn't in 4.0?...some how I doubt that jeff

Obviously the dvd maker (KE in your example) DID make the beta tapes( by making Add-on discs a DL) work in their new "player" to avoid such complaints.... didn't they?

Maj. Numbskully said:
So you would have been perfectly happy to upgrade to 4.0 and not complained one bit that your add-on discs would no longer work in version 4.0...
Or you can do what I did and upgrade to the better software and then remodel the couple of planes out of of the add-ons that I just had to have. And then I sold my G3 and its add-ons to someone who didn't care about flying off water.

Check the old threads if you like. I did not complain. Search posts by me where I used the word 'bonus', because that's what the AddOn content is now.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=18845&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Bonus
Read post 138, 160 and 178, and any others that may interest you.

Beta tapes still work in Beta machines. You did not have to get another format. Or, you could have kept your Beta, and also gotten a DVD player. Just like keeping G3 to use the AddOns, and getting G4. But this whole debate is moot, since the content is available. Your decision to use G4 does not render software designed for a prior version worthless.

Last edited:
you're nit picking jeff
what I said (or meant )was :As far as G4.0/4.5 goes the add-on discs ARE worthless!
(thats a fact!!)
and you're taking my use of the word "worthless" out of context
I never said or implyed that they were worthless for use with 3.0/3.5!
just for use with 4.0/4.5!!
any more than I implyed beta tapes were worthless for a beta max player...I never said any such thing
the real point here is that KE went out of thier way to keep thier custemers happy
(you did not see philips give away every thing you had on beta on dvds for free!)
that being said
they also did it for marketing reasons...more people would be more inclined to upgrade to 4.0/4.5 if they knew that there was a way to use the content from the add-ons (that they alredy paid for )in 4.0/4.5
also just because you may have upgraded to 4.0 any how
does not mean that every one would have been so willing

but your right it's really a moot point...lets move on

Last edited:
You said that everyone who bought AddOns would now own worthless discs (with respect to upgrading). That is just flatout wrong. Upgrading to G4+ does not mean you cannot still keep and use G2 or G3, which is the software for use with the AddOns. They reside nicely on the same machine.
Had you said that the discs are incompatible with G4+, you would have been accurate. To call them worthless is just plain inaccurate.

jeffpn said:
Had you said that the discs are incompatible with G4+, you would have been accurate. To call them worthless is just plain inaccurate.
I DID:
Maj. Numbskully said:
The reason they are now free is the Add-on discs will not work for G4.0/4.5/5

Maj. Numbskully said:
Jeff you knew perfectly well what I meant......the discs are worthless as far as using them for G4.0/4.5/5.0
Of course they will still work with 3.0/3.5...DUH :eek:

Maj. Numbskully said:
you're nit picking jeff
what I said (or meant )was :As far as G4.0/4.5 goes the add-on discs ARE worthless!
(thats a fact!!)
and you're taking my use of the word "worthless" out of context
I never said or implyed that they were worthless for use with 3.0/3.5!
just for use with 4.0/4.5!!

Last edited:
Back