Addons 3,4,5 and G3.5 on Windows 7

gmacfarlane

Hi, I've been out of modelling for a while and just getting back into it so reinstalled my old RFG3 on my current Windows 7 (64b) PC, then upgraded to 3.5, so I can get some practice in.

I installed add-ons 1, 2 3, 4 and 5. When I started up, I get a message that addons 1 & 2 are recognised but I'll have to reinstall 3,4,5 in my RF G3 installation folder.

Well, I've done that. In fact I've done it several times now, but the additional planes (etc) simply don't show up in the list when I run the program. Apart from that, no problems at all.

Anyone got any ideas?

thanks

Make sure the large add-ons files are sitting in the Realflight Data folder.

Sometimes the installer can not find the correct path and places the files elsewhere, particularly under more recent releases of Windows.

Also the add-ons installer must be run as administrator.

Strange... thanks very much for the suggestion, but it didn't work :eek:(

The large add-on files were already in the RF data folder, so nothing to do there.

I ran it again, carefully running the installer as administrator, but... installation completes without errors, just doesn't seem to have worked ???

puzzled.

Perhaps this section of the Vista compatibility guide will be of use to you. In fact, the whole thing is worth a read if you're trying to use G3 on a modern OS.

It's been a long time so I'm not positive, but I think the Launcher would try to find Add-Ons 1 & 2 if they were installed in their default location and copy them for you, but it did not do anything like that for AO3-5 because the default installation directory behavior was different for them and it was either infeasible or unreliable to attempt something similar with them.

With the above in mind, I doubt it's a coincidence that AO1 & 2 are the only ones working for you. My best guess is that the Launcher found those and copied them to the correct location, but AO3-5 are not actually in the correct location, even though you believe they are. Perhaps they are installed in a different "Data" directory. Or perhaps it is a UAC and permissions issue, and your Add-Ons are actually located in a virtualized version of the installation directory while your RF installation is not (or vice versa).

Things can get pretty weird with Vista and subsequent versions of Windows when you're trying to install software that was not designed for them.

I suggest contacting Tech Support.

Thanks Ryan. I just checked the "run this program as administrator" setting for all the relevant programs, and the add-ons magically appeared.

- Graeme

Back