Air Tractor Fire Boss

Boof69

I started on the Air Tractor 2 days ago, but only got as far as setting up the image planes in Max. Was busy with family drama yesterday but was able to get some modeling done today. This will be the single seat version of the Fire Boss. I have no plans on limiting my polys. If I hit 20 k Oh well. This one has allot of do dads and such hanging off the exterior of the model so I will model as much of it as possible. With the basic airframe and cockpit roughed in I'm at 2,472 and still have floats gear and the whole lot left to go. Hopefully when I have everything modeled I will be able to go over the entire model and reduce the polys to fit some cockpit detail.

Attachments

• 1405866.jpg
    1405866.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Airtractor.jpg
    Airtractor.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Airtractor001.jpg
    Airtractor001.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Airtractor002.jpg
    Airtractor002.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Airtractor003.jpg
    Airtractor003.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 21
Wow excellent start! I've been next to one of these in RL and they are a massive and incredible aircraft.

I like the single seat version as well, glad you went that way.

Attached are some pictures of the cockpit (not a Fire Boss) don't know if they will help you in any way.

Attachments

• DSC04773.JPG
    DSC04773.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC04774.JPG
    DSC04774.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03145.JPG
    DSC03145.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC03146.JPG
    DSC03146.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 20
I took this one with my cell phone a few weeks back.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 35
pplace said:
Wow excellent start! I've been next to one of these in RL and they are a massive and incredible aircraft.

I like the single seat version as well, glad you went that way.

Attached are some pictures of the cockpit (not a Fire Boss) don't know if they will help you in any way.
The one with the seat will be a big help. haven't found that one yet. Thanks!

My cell camera sucks! I may have been running at that time :p He was only about 100 yrds away and not pulling up :eek:

Boof69 said:
The one with the seat will be a big help. haven't found that one yet. Thanks!

My friend operates a spraying business, so if you happen to need some pics I could most likely get you the pics. (though his busy spraying season is approaching, so the planes aren't always sitting still in the hangars)

HEY! I recognize that model. :) I like how your version is coming along.

You can use my file for the naming of parts if you need that assistance. It works in both G4.5 and G5.5. I'll also send you a revision of one with properly working steering retracts if you need it. I had pivot dummy objects initially that worked great in Realflight, then I had issues with it spawning on it's tail in G4.5. It turned out it needed to have the SG's named not as they are in G5.5, but as they are in G4.5. I don't know if pivot dummy objects will throw anything off, but we'll see as you come further along.

Your model looks better than mine from where I left off.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1306596885.jpg
    ScreenShot1306596885.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 61
I guess I should mention that you asked me if I would like to finish this model since you've become busy. Also how I decided to do a restart of the model instead of using your geometry. This doesn't mean anything was wrong with your model it's just that the actual modeling is my favorite part. Thanks for the subject matter Matt. As for the ground steering I haven't thought that far ahead and I can't forsee a problem with figuring it out, but if I run into trouble I'll call on you. :)

Boof,

I have crap loads of reference shots that I acquired when requesting this model in the team effort thread.

Just let me know,

Boof,

I completely understand modeling from scratch. It is the funnest part. If anyone were to look at our max files they could easily see they are two seperately modeled objects and not a continuation of one.

I'm glad you took this one up personally. It will be a very cool model in the sim.

Matt sent me allot of good reference shots with his email but I haven't went through all of them. I hope this one will live up to the expectations of the team build.

Boof69 said:
Matt sent me allot of good reference shots with his email but I haven't went through all of them. I hope this one will live up to the expectations of the team build.

Then you probably have all my reference material ;)

Norton said:
Then you probably have all my reference material ;)

Anything you gave me I would have forwarded on to him I hope. :) I really appreciate all the reference material you provide Norton. Doug was a big hand in that too. I hope no one took offense to me dropping off the project the way I did and that I took a while to get to it as well. I didn't expect the freelance work to come to me so quickly and it really took priority over everything I'm working on.

Saying that, I don't want to hijack this thread. I'm just happy the model will be built. It's a cool model and unique at that.

mwilson914 said:
Boof,

I completely understand modeling from scratch. It is the funnest part. If anyone were to look at our max files they could easily see they are two seperately modeled objects and not a continuation of one.

I'm glad you took this one up personally. It will be a very cool model in the sim.
You tell me. this is what my geometry is looking like.

Attachments

• geopics1.jpg
    geopics1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 39
  • geopics2.jpg
    geopics2.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 39
And mine...(less refined where I left off)

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 35
  • screenshot_02.jpg
    screenshot_02.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 32
abaser said:
Just out of curiosity, what size are we talking about here? Looks great so far.
Right around 1/5 unless it looks ridiculous in RF, But I think that's the scale matt made his in his screenie.

Back