Airplane Model Request (Funstar)

Mriya

Hello there, my name is Axl and I'm new to the forums. I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'd like to request a Funstar plane. I've found many planes I flew and saw in real life in this wonderful simulator but the Funstar is very special to me because it is the only plane I've built from scratch (with my uncle's help) when I was 16 years old.
I've uploaded some very old pictures of it. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it with me when I moved to the U.S .
I've also uploaded the original Funstar picture.
If anybody can design this plane for me I will be eternally grateful.. I mean it!
Thanks a lot for reading!
Axl

Attachments

• 07-08-09_1253.jpg
    07-08-09_1253.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 91
  • dfh 002.jpg
    dfh 002.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Funstar.jpg
    Funstar.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 87
Hello there, my name is Axl and I'm new to the forums. I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'd like to request a Funstar plane. I've found many planes I flew and saw in real life in this wonderful simulator but the Funstar is very special to me because it is the only plane I've built from scratch (with my uncle's help) when I was 16 years old.
I've uploaded some very old pictures of it. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it with me when I moved to the U.S .
I've also uploaded the original Funstar picture.
If anybody can design this plane for me I will be eternally grateful.. I mean it!
Thanks a lot for reading!
Axl

Would you want it to look like the center picture? Do you have any more pictures of your plane?

Thanks for replying!
I'd love it to look like my old plane and yes I got more pictures.
I even got a video of it so that you can listen to the engine sound because I don't remember what it was. I'll be posting it all right now.
I'm leaving the dimensions of the original Funstar I got from a webpage. They are supposed to be the same as my plane's since we built it from the original plan.

Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQQpbfTh-8E

Here's the technical info I got from the internet:

Technical data:
- Wingspan: 1495mm (58.86 in)
- Length: 1410mm (55.51 in)
- Flying weight: 2.2- 2.4 kg
- Radio: 4 channel . 5 standard servo: 2 aileron; 1 elevator; 1 rudder; 1 throttle (not included)
- Engine: .46-.55 / 2-stroke (glow engine) – .52-.61 / 4-stroke (glow engine) (not included)
- Propeller: 12.25x3.75; 13x4 (2 blade) (not included)
- Experience level: Intermediate
- Plane type: 3D plane

RECOMMENDED MOTOR AND BATTERY SET UP
- Motor: SIZE .46-.55 (not included)
- Lipo cell: 3-4 cells / 3000 – 4000mAh (not included)
- Esc: 80-100A (not included)

I really appreciate your interest in this. Please let me know how else I can help. Thank you!

Attachments

• dfh 006.jpg
    dfh 006.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 10
  • Sexyness.jpg
    Sexyness.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 6
  • F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 6
  • F31.jpg
    F31.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 4
  • F8.jpg
    F8.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5
Hello,
I don't know what's wrong but I already posted a reply to your question sir. A message appeared after clicking on submit reply was too quick for me to read but I had posted more pictures and a video of the plane. Wrote that reply more than 30 minutes ago.
I guess I'll post everything again.

Attachments

• dfh 006.jpg
    dfh 006.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 13
  • F31.jpg
    F31.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 15
  • F8.jpg
    F8.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 9
  • F4.jpg
    F4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
What I wrote in the post that hasn't appeared for some reason was that I would love it to make the model look like my old plane. Here's the technical info about the Funstar. It should be the same as my plane since we built it from the original plan.

SPECIFICATIONS
Wingspan: 58.8" (1495mm)
Length: 55.3" (1405mm)
Weight: 74-81oz (2.1-2.3kg)
Wing Area: 914 sq in (59 sq dm)
Wing Loading: 12.8 oz sq/in (39 g sq/dm)
Center of Gravity (CG): 4.7-4.9" (120-125mm) back from leading edge
of wing measured at the fuselage
Control Throws-
Ailerons (up & down): 0.47" (12mm), 10% expo
Rudder (right & left): 0.98" (25mm), 15% expo
Elevator (up & down): 0.47" (12mm), 12% expo

I'm also giving you a link of a video of my plane so that you can listen to the engine sound because I don't remember what engine it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQQpbfTh-8E

Thanks a lot for the interest given!

Attachments

• yey.jpg
    yey.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 5
  • CamU-7Ago09 (3).jpg
    CamU-7Ago09 (3).jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 4
  • F13.jpg
    F13.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 4
When you first join the forum they have some software that checks new posts and sometimes they're put on hold for one of the admins to okay, it happened to me to when I first joined.

Got another question. I looked around and the only thing I seen was an ARF of that plane, did you build yours from an ARF kit, or did they have a full kit before the ARF came out. I ask because yours looks a little different than the ARF. I like that airplane so I'm looking into it.

kinda looks like the Phoenix models ARF of the Funstar but with Sig Somethin' Extra Wings

attachment.php

attachment.php

SIGRC76.jpg

Very similar aircraft.

The Rudder is a slightly different design on the Op's aircraft. That and the wings having a different tip design, I would say the Op had an older model possibly not the same manufacturer but of similar design. Phoenix Models may have purchased the rights to the Funstar name and created a similar model.

Last edited:
Hi again,
We actually built it with spare wood my uncle had in his workshop. All I remember is we used the Funstar's plan to get the shape of the parts, so it has some variations like the tip of the wings which are different from the original funstar. All the measurements should be the same! I got more pictures on the way once my previous reply is approved by the moderators. Thank you!

Hi again,
We actually built it with spare wood my uncle had in his workshop. All I remember is we used the Funstar's plan to get the shape of the parts, so it has some variations like the tip of the wings which are different from the original funstar. All the measurements should be the same! I got more pictures on the way once my previous reply is approved by the moderators. Thank you!

I'm working on several projects right now but I can put something together for you out of other aircraft I've modeled. Here's a picture of something I just cooked up, but it needs more work. Please let me know from what you see where it needs to be changed. And the fact yours was custom built helps since mine is custom made from your pictures.

Attachments

• Fun Star 01.jpg
    Fun Star 01.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 23
Wow! That just brought me a big smile! And you call that something you just cooked? Looks perfect! The model is 99% perfect. It just needs the black lines around the cockpit and also the colors are glossy but wow I'm so excited now! I attached a link to the video of the plane in a ptrvious post that hasn't been approved yet in which you can hear the engine. Also, I know the plane is supposed to be a 3D plane but I want it to fly more like a sports plane please. Thanks a ton!

Wow! That just brought me a big smile! And you call that something you just cooked? Looks perfect! The model is 99% perfect. It just needs the black lines around the cockpit and also the colors are glossy but wow I'm so excited now! I attached a link to the video of the plane in a ptrvious post that hasn't been approved yet in which you can hear the engine. Also, I know the plane is supposed to be a 3D plane but I want it to fly more like a sports plane please. Thanks a ton!

Okay good.. I'm glad you like it. I'll tone down the glossy finish after I get the little details fixed. I can't do anything to match your engine sound, the only thing I have is the built-in engines from RF. If you know how to use the RF editor you can change the engine sound and see which one you like, what type of engine did you have on it? And since you said you just want to fly it as a sport plane I'll adjust the controls so it's a nice sport plane but definitely on the aerobatic side. So it will fly nice but if you give it a lot of throw it will give you pretty good aerobatics. That's the way I used to fly all the time too. But recently I've been pressing it more. Here's the plane I'm working on now, it's pretty much done just a little bit of tweaking left to do. It's one of those 3D Profile planes, and it is quite aerobatic.

Question. Right now your plane is the size from the plans but you might consider if you want the plane to be the same size as the plan or bigger so you can see it better in RF. Of course 40 and a 60 size planes do fly differently because of the larger size but if you're more concerned with flying an old favorite than the size it is I can make it a 60 size so you can see it better. Like from the 54 in wingspan it is now to 64, or even 70. That's totally your call.

Attachments

• Avenger 04.jpg
    Avenger 04.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 10
I do know how to change the engine sound and that is totally fine! I don't really remember what engine it had... The speed of the plane is similar to the Extra 300L's from the simulator.
The size question is quite difficult but I think I'm gonna keep the original size. I think the wingspan is around 50 inches. I actually like the size of the Extra 300L but i think thats 60? If so then make the Funstar a 60 size plane then. By the way the plane you are working on looks fantastic. Seems light and definetly 3D! Thanks again!

Okay the original size it is, that's what it is in the picture I posted too. Here's the spec's I found for it at Tower Hobbies. I've actually seen two different set of specs but I'm using this one from the link below. I started working on the physics for it but I needed to stop and do some chores around the house, but I'll get back to it probably later tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing it fly.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMWR&P=ML

SPECIFICATIONS

Wingspan: 58.8" (1495mm)
Length: 55.3" (1405mm)
Weight: 74-81oz (2.1-2.3kg)

Just a short update. I have the plane flying now and am fine tuning the flight physics and also fine tuning the model graphics a little bit here and there. I think you'll like it and it won't be much longer just enough time to tweak it a bit more. I have limited time to work on it today but I'll sneak in some time if I can. Right now the wingspan and length are what the specs say from the Tower Hobbies link I put in the other post and it looks good and fly's good.

Hi !
Thanks a lot for the work you are doing, I can't wait to fly my baby once again!
I'll be heading out soon to spend some time with my fiancee outside but I'll be back later. Hopefully it's ready by then! I'm truly excited about this haha! I'm glad the original specs work just fine.

Okay here it is give it a try and let me know if there's any problems I need to fix. You need to click on the link and then rename the file to this when it's downloaded. For some reason their server doesn't use the correct name, the name will be something like attachment.php.

CORRECT NAME: Funstar_EA.RFX

Then import it in RealFlight using the same procedure as a zip file you download from the Swap Pages.

Simulation - Import - RealFlight Archive

I probably ought to mention this. Normally when you create a plane you also create mapping for it and then create a TGA file for the colors and another TGA file for the SPEC Map. But another process, much faster and easier is to add the colors for the plane inside the tool used (3ds Max) to create the 3D model. The last process is much faster and what I used for your plane. The important thing you give up using that process is the ability to create custom color schemes for the plane. So since I didn't have much time to do the custom plane for you I used the simple method, so you can't create a different color scheme for it, the colors are fixed. I thought I better mention that.

ENJOY!

I removed the file look for the final version in post #28.

Last edited:
After I posted the plane I did some other stuff and then thought I'd come back and fly the plane a while. And of course I noticed a couple of things I wished I had done differently so I did a couple of modifications which I think makes it a better plane. The first thing I did was reduce the width of the horizontal stabilizer by 5% because I thought it looked a bit too wide. Then I changed the engine to the engine profile Doug and I created for my first plane, the McCoy 40R, which is the engine that's on the plane with the Red Head. The engine is less powerful but I think it makes the plane more inline with what you said you wanted, a Sport Plane. The built-in engine profile for the OS 46 FX is too strong in my opinion and makes the plane fly too fast to be the fun casual style of flying I think belongs to the plane. So you might want to download this one too and try it out. It's the same name and will be what I post to the swap pages after I wait for your feedback to see if you find any problems with the plane, or the way it fly's.

Funstar Second Build

I removed the file look for the final version in post #28.

Last edited:
Hi!
First of all let me tell you thank you, I'm truly grateful for your work on this plane. Been flying it since I woke up. I love it so far! The speed is perfect, roll and yaw and perfect too, what I think needs a little modification is the pitch. I felt it too sensible and when flying inverted, most of the planes have a natural tendency to keep going down once you invert the plane (which I'm used to), but when you do it with the funstar the plane stays almost level. I also feel it's too sensible when I pull the plane.
Everything else is just perfect, the model itself looks awesome!
Again thanks again for your work, like I said on my first post, I'm eternally grateful haha, I'll never forget this.
Is there any way to modify those physics by editing the plane on the simulator?

Hi!
First of all let me tell you thank you, I'm truly grateful for your work on this plane. Been flying it since I woke up. I love it so far! The speed is perfect, roll and yaw and perfect too, what I think needs a little modification is the pitch. I felt it too sensible and when flying inverted, most of the planes have a natural tendency to keep going down once you invert the plane (which I'm used to), but when you do it with the funstar the plane stays almost level. I also feel it's too sensible when I pull the plane.
Everything else is just perfect, the model itself looks awesome!
Again thanks again for your work, like I said on my first post, I'm eternally grateful haha, I'll never forget this.
Is there any way to modify those physics by editing the plane on the simulator?

You're welcome I'm glad you like it. First let me ask about the speed, you say it's perfect.. which build of the plane are you using, the first build or the second build where I said I changed the engine profile? There's a lot of difference in the engine power between them so I want to know which of them you like. Some like more power some like less.

As for the pitch being too sensitive you can easily adjust that using the Quick Edit function. Look in the Aircraft Menu for the Quick Edit menu item and open it. In the dialog box you can set all the control throws and even adjust the engine power. So change the Elevator setting from 24 it's at now down to maybe 20 and try that. If that's still too sensitive go down a little more on that setting. Please report back the setting you find that works best and I'll create another build for you with that setting built in.

For the not continuing to drop down issue I'm not sure if there's a way to set that in the physics or not. BUT.. After looking at your pictures again I didn't place the wing and hstab according to the pictures and that changes flight characteristics. By that I mean a low wing and mid wing plane fly's differently. And it appears in the pictures you uploaded your plane is a low wing not a mid wing like I modeled it. Also the hstab in your picture is higher on the fuselage than the one I created too. Both of those make the plane fly differently so I can change them and see if that helps. Mid wings are know for the best center tracking so I tend to always model a plane that way, but I don't mind making the changes to see if that changes the inverted flight to more like what you're used to. It should if RealFlights physics engine is accurate enough, but I haven't tried it before. So let me do that and you can tell me if it helps, since you're the only one that knows for sure how your model fly's. I'll upload another plane shortly and I'll also set the Elevator from 24 degrees to 20 degrees so it will be less sensitive. I don't mind changing things a few times to try and get your plane just right. So I'll make the changes and upload another plane.

Last edited:
I'll do that to the elevator as soon as I get home. I'm grocery shopping right now. I did notice that you made it a mid wing and it makes sense because i've seen that most of 3D foamies are mid wing and are very stable while flying inverted. I'll let you know the changes I did once i get my hands on my computer. And if you could make it low wing that would be more than perfect. Thanks again!

Back