Airplane Model Request (Funstar)

I just finished making the modifications so try this build and see if it helps. I moved the wing down and hstab up to make it a low wing instead of a mid wing. This should change the flight characteristics some so let me know if it helps, it's not something I've tried before. Since I didn't know which engine you preferred this build has the engine from my second build where I said the built-in engine seemed too fast. I also changed the Elevator travel from 24 degrees to 20 degrees which will tame down the pitch some. So please give me your thoughts on each of these so I'll know if anything needs to be changed. (mid wing, engine, elevator) I changed the name to include V2 so you can have both installed at the same time to compare. So the new file name is Funstar V2 EA.RFX.

MODIFIED V2 BUILD: From Mid Wing to Low Wing with less Elevator travel and McCoy Engine.

I removed the file look for the final version in post #28.

Last edited:
Okay I just tested the 2nd version and making it low wing did fix the inverted flying issue! I changed the elevator deflection to 18 degrees and also changed the engine power to 90%. Now it feels natural!!
The landing on this plane is as real as the original one. Deadstick landings were easy to make because of the wing design. This model glides just like my plane. Thanks a lot for your effort technoid, I'm very pleased and very grateful for bringing my old baby back to me!

That's great to hear I'm happy you have your favorite plane back in your hangar. I just did one more build to include the Elevator at 18 degrees and also this build is back to normal without V2 so you'll have your plane back without using a V2 version. At least I'd rather have it that way. So please download the latest version it should have everything you want except the 90 percent engine power I'll let you change that one thing. The reason is I'll be uploading this to the Swap Pages too so I'd like the engine power to be 100 percent and anyone that wants that change can make it. So here's the final version I'll be removing the other versions from my posts and only leave this one. I'll also upload it to the Swap Pages but probably not today since I have to take my wife to a Doctor's appointment. But look for it on the Swap Pages probably tomorrow morning.

FINAL VERSION

I removed the file look for the final version in post #28.

Last edited:
Not that its my place to nitpick. But, in Mriya's #8 post he did mention, the ring around the canopy, was a signature feature. If you could add that, I'll bet he would REALLY appreciate it. Even if hes to shy to ask. ;)
BTW nice work technoid.(as always) And talk about service... Your a Good man!

Last edited:
Got it! Just downloaded the final version. Will look it up tomorrow in the swap pages, definitely! Don't worry about the black ring haha, if you have some spare time to put it in there I'll appreciate it. Been showing your work to my family, thank you so much!

Not that its my place to nitpick. But, in Mriya's #8 post he did mention, the ring around the canopy, was a signature feature. If you could add that I'll bet he would REALLY appreciate it. Even if hes to shy to ask. ;)
BTW nice work technoid.(as always) And talk about service... Your a Good man!

If you look at the plane in the RF editor you can see the ring around the canopy I added. When I created it I made it 1/8 inch wide but it is smaller than the original so I'll go back and do one more version and make it wider. Here's a render showing it the way it is now.

Attachments

• Fun Star 03.jpg
    Fun Star 03.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 5
About the black ring, it is about 1 1/4 inches wide and if you notice you can see that on the back theres like 1 1/2 inches of fuselage before the ring's curve. I don't know if that explanation was clear but thats how I can describe it.

About the black ring, it is about 1 1/4 inches wide and if you notice you can see that on the back theres like 1 1/2 inches of fuselage before the ring's curve. I don't know if that explanation was clear but thats how I can describe it.

Yes I can see what you're talking about in the picture. Is the canopy on your plane separate from the fuselage? It probably is and overlaps the fuselage in the back where your black ring shows some of the fuselage color. The canopy on my plane was cut into the fuselage so I'll need to add further cuts on the fuselage to do what your talking about. I have to take my wife to a Drs. appointment about 35 miles away now so I'll be gone the rest of the day. But I'll work on it when I can.

Last edited:
Yes, that's right. The canopy is a bit larger and that's why the black tape is a little more to the back and shows the fuselage. I hope everything goes well for you and your wife. Have a good day and thank you!

I just finished modifying the canopy trim so it looks like the picture, hopefully this is okay it's the best I could get it. I'll put a link below to the newest version and remove the last one I uploaded. Here's a couple of renders so you can see what it looks like.

FINAL VERSION: Modified canopy trim to look like picture.

Attachments

• Funstar_EA.RFX
    511.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Fun Star 08.jpg
    Fun Star 08.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Fun Star 09.jpg
    Fun Star 09.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Awesome! Looks just perfect! Thanks a lot technoid, I'll fly her after work. I truly appreciate all you have done. I'll be looking forward to your projects. Have a nice day!

Awesome! Looks just perfect! Thanks a lot technoid, I'll fly her after work. I truly appreciate all you have done. I'll be looking forward to your projects. Have a nice day!

Good deal I'm glad you like it. I'll be posting it to the swap pages soon but it might not be today I was working on it till early morning to finish it for you. I hope you don't mind but I plan to increase the elevator throw a bit before I upload it to the swap pages. But you know how to change it now so it won't be any problem for you. It's been a fun project to do and it made me happy to give you the gift. Enjoy your bird.

Indeed! It made me very happy! I don't mind the elevator throw increase, hopefully more people will like my plane haha. By the way, if you ever run out of inspiration or planes to make let me know because I got plenty on mind and they are unique too! For example the GWS Formosa, It's a simple 3D foamy which we used to fly years ago in some sand dunes in Lima, Peru. I haven't seen any similar aircraft in Realflight so far.

I've been working on it a little more getting it ready for the swap pages. I always work with Dough Schluter on my planes, he's the brains behind the physics and has a gift for getting the most flyable performance out of them. So here's what I've done to it so far.

1. I restored the McCoy Text and Lightning Bolts on the engine that was removed from it when I started using it as a generic engine. But since I used the McCoy Engine Profile this time I restored the unique markings on the engine too. Also the original head color was blue so I'll fix that too.

2. I gave the physics to Doug and he's been improving them a bit for putting it on the swap pages. The elevator and rudder throws have been increased so the performance is a little brisker but you want a little more performance for the swap pages.

3. I went over the plane again and realized the wing cord was about one inch to narrow so I fixed that which gives the wing the correct 914 sq. in. of wing area.

For a plane that was put together out of a bunch of parts from different planes I modeled in the past it turned out pretty well. As for design ideas the GWS Formosa looks pretty cool but I'm one of those guys that generally creates my own designs. Of course they are always inspired by other designs but are unique in other ways so they're my own. Of course that generally means no one cares about them but me but that's okay I share them anyway. I'm way old school when RC planes were just models put together to fly, not scale models of real aircraft. The truth is RC models fly better because the dimensions are tailored differently. Plus back then lots of planes were scratch built original designs. So I'm the old guy I just haven't faded away yet. But your honest desire to get your plane back made me want to help you and I'm glad you like your bird.

That last post was music to my ears Technoid! I wanna see how the one from the swap pages will fly compared to the original EA you gave me. After what you said about the way you feel towards RC airplanes, I think it's an honor to had it modeled by you! haha, thanks a lot for that. As for me, I like scale models more, especially war birds... I like doing aerobatics on 3D planes but I'd rather sit hours and hours contemplating the majestic flight of an A6M or P-51 going around the field, but I digress, I'll be looking forward to your own models, do you have any indoor flying foamy? I'd like to practice more my indoor flying.
Once again, thanks a lot to you and Dough for the work you've put into my plane. It means a lot to me.

Oh by the way, the moderator finally allowed my first posts to be seen, there I posted a youtube video of the plane's last flight. It's kind of shaky but you can see the psychics of the plane. Doesn't fly exactly like the original Funstar because its heavier apparently. Hope you can watch it, thanks!

Oh by the way, the moderator finally allowed my first posts to be seen, there I posted a youtube video of the plane's last flight. It's kind of shaky but you can see the psychics of the plane. Doesn't fly exactly like the original Funstar because its heavier apparently. Hope you can watch it, thanks!

I just looked at the other pictures and went to YouTube and watched the video, very nice. What happened to the plane when you left for the US? In your first post you mention your name is Axl so is Mriya your last name? I'm asking because I want to mention in the comments when I post the plane to the swap pages that you ask in the Designer's Corner if someone could make one of your favorite planes, so I'm wondering what you want me to use as the name in the comment? So let me know. I'm finished working on it now I just have to post it to the swap pages, probably tomorrow morning. I just finished reworking a couple of engine parts I wanted to remake for a long time, so I took some time and did it. Now the engine is finally the way I want it. The throttle lever and needle valve clip has always needed a rework so now it's done. Ha.. it's nothing you can see outside of 3ds Max but I knew it was there and wanted to fix it. So she's done and will be on the swap pages tomorrow.

The plane is still in my house in Peru, in my grandpa's workshop probably just dusting because me and my uncle are the only people in the family who are into aeromodelism. My uncle has its own house and own planes so my Funstar is just abandoned... Hopefully I'll fly it again someday. I'm still years away from going back to my country.
My name is Axl Melendez... Mriya is just a nickname I just in all websites haha, comes from the Antonov An-225 Mriya. It was a first sight love so I've been using that nickname ever since. I really wanna try the last version of the Funstar, I'm really excited about it, can't wait til tomorrow!

The plane is still in my house in Peru, in my grandpa's workshop probably just dusting because me and my uncle are the only people in the family who are into aeromodelism. My uncle has its own house and own planes so my Funstar is just abandoned... Hopefully I'll fly it again someday. I'm still years away from going back to my country.
My name is Axl Melendez... Mriya is just a nickname I just in all websites haha, comes from the Antonov An-225 Mriya. It was a first sight love so I've been using that nickname ever since. I really wanna try the last version of the Funstar, I'm really excited about it, can't wait til tomorrow!

Okay thanks for the info I was wondering what happened to it. When I said I was finished I forgot, there's always one last thing to do. I had some time so I thought I'd add the exhaust diverter that I seen in one of the pictures. Here's a render of it and you can also see the McCoy Text and Lighting Bolts on the engine and the correct head color for that engine. Blue. Ha.. So now she's really ready.

Attachments

• Funstar 10.jpg
    Funstar 10.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 8
Back