Airports and Depth Buffers

Flapper

I have laid out my home field, using the available objects found in RF 8 and the Add-ons. 3D terrain in Sierra Nevada. Except for the massive amount of cornstalk clumps I added (which takes a long time to load!) all is working well.

Not a biggie, but I would like to be able to crash into the corn, instead of just fly through it - there is no collision setting. From searching here, it seems that placing depth buffers might be a way to get the collisions - but is there any way to hide or make them invisible? Using the Wall Primitive depth buffer, I either get a white version, or a red version, depending on the "Force Child to Render to Depth Buffer" setting. Or is this something I need to start learning to design?

Hmm, good question....

I fly the Waco field a lot, it has depth buffers that show in red in the edit airfield mode, but not in the sim…Try going to edit on that field, and one see what settings they used on those depth buffers?

I imagine the red color is to see them when setting up in edit mode, but youre saying they show up as red in the sim? After placement? That’s weird

Thanks for the suggestion, it is odd behavior-

I flew and looked at Waco - yes they are invisible, but red for placement in the designer. Thinking it may just have been the primitive itself, I placed the same one used in Waco in my field. Same result. Made sure all the object properties were the same, except size, orientation and location. Same result.

Made a copy of Waco, and went through the same steps and there it worked.

Waco is a photofield, while mine is not. I wonder what is different.

I guess next is to try and add one to a stock 3D field, not that I expect things to be any different.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 21
Oh, bepth buffers in a virtual field? I just assumed when you said "laid out your field" you had a panorama shot of your location..

I've never seen depth buffers in a virtual field...the objects themselves (static or dynamic) all seem to have bult-in Collision and Respond to Physics toggles that make them "hard" vs "fly thru"

I never put up a row of corn stalks before but I've crashed into everything else I put out there...

"If you place it, you will hit it" :eek:

Corn Collision

I'm No Expert, so take this as, My Observations, so far.

It appears the (Individual) Corn Stalk Is Collidable
It also appears, it Does Not provide a Collidable Option, Individually, or in Folder Options.

It appears the Corn Stalk Cluster is Not Collidable
It also appears it does Not provide a Collidable Option, Individually, or In Folder Options.

I would Expect, To make a 3D Collidable Corn Field. You may Need to Place Individual Corn Stalks, Strategically Within.

I also haven't found a way to use Depth Buffers in a 3D field, so they will be Invisible, and Functional.

Last edited:
How about a rail fence, with a row of corn stalks in front of it?

Fence is definitely collidable, corn might conceal it nicely so you dont notice it?

Lots of wierd stuff you can do with objects by adjusting parameters....before there was a Kingfisher Seaplane object available, I sat a Sopwith Pup on top of some overturned rowboats, and had a pretty decent looking seaplane next to a dock

Phone Line Group, Resized, may cover the most Real-estate per entry. Their also collidable.
Their found in the Object Palette: Realflight 8>Boneyard Objects>Phone Lines Group.
The Posts can be Buried in the Ground, with the Z location.

Last edited:
Thanks all! Odd that the corn cluster isn't collidable, but the individual stalks are. Good idea on substituting other objects hidden in the fields. Looks like I get the tractor out of the barn, and go labor in the fields for a while!

Hmm, good question....

I fly the Waco field a lot, it has depth buffers that show in red in the edit airfield mode, but not in the sim…Try going to edit on that field, and one see what settings they used on those depth buffers?

I imagine the red color is to see them when setting up in edit mode, but youre saying they show up as red in the sim? After placement? That’s weird

Same. I assume the use a few depth buffers can add sloping realism to the airfield I'm creating. However, they show up red (some have other colors) both in edit and flying the sim. Is there a way to lay like a grass surface over them and have the surface contour to the buffer? Thanks in Advance for any Help on this matter...

Back