"An Unexpected Error has occurred...."

rccardude04

You guys know how this ends... Seems to pop up every 2-5 minutes with AMD cpus and nVidia graphics cards.
Is this still going to be an issue? If not, I'll upgrade. If so, I'll wait till y'all fix it. That is really my only gripe with g3.5, and it'd be worth it to upgrade to get rid of the random errors...
Plus the water is cool, and the graphics look quite nice. I would assume the physics have been improved upon as well.
-Eric

Honest question here:

Is that a known problem with G3.5 or could it be your computer? I've never once had an error message in G3.5 and I've been using it for over a year?

This was discussed again lately. Indeed the problem seems to be related to shadow optimization and using VSync in fullscreen mode. Dunno if it's really connected to NVidia cards only - maybe via the shadow code.

If I switch off the shadow optimization (only possible since the latest version) or if I switch off the VSync in fullscreen mode, I rarely get the "unexpected" error. In window mode, I think I don't get it at all. Yet, with Vsync and shadow optimization enabled, you can reproduce it in a few seconds in fullscreen mode. You simply need to quickly change planes via the fav list for a few (1-20) times and you'll get your crash.

From the persistence of this annoyance, I would bet it's still in G4. Then again, if they reworked the shadow code to be more state of the art (shadow volumes and such), maybe they finally got over it. Unfortunately, the published screenshots make me think that the shadow code is still this 20th century projected shadow stuff with all its flaws.
I hope I'm wrong though...

Last edited:
That could explain why I haven't had a problem possibly? My computer (at this moment) does not support / allow shadows.

And now I'm nervous because I just ordered a Nvidia card.....along with G4

I'll see if all works when I get it. (Thanks for the information though)

Wow "Unexpected errors" already and G4 is not even out yet!

( This - IS - the G4 area... ).

G3.5 works well with the Nvidia cards.

I was having problems with the "unexpected errors" occuring at random.

I ended up deleting the download cache and "refreshing" the current version update, then my problems went away.

I'd advise that you also do this.

I've been running an AMD 6000+ and an Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS since the beginning of summer with no issues. Are you sure your drivers are up to date? Just because you have AMD and Nvidia doesn't mean they won't work together.

Get the nVidia "nView desktop manager". .....it has quick links to the nView control panel as well.

You get the latest drivers and can tweak all the settings from there.!! (although aditional driver updates must be done manually)

I've been using it for about two years now.!!

I don't feel like discussing this AGAIN.
People who deny that there are problems usually don't even use full screen mode or don't use vsync or have the shadow optimizations turned off and generally never cared to try if they could reproduce this.
This is NOT a matter of the driver, it happened with dozens of driver revisions, on different systems, with different (Nvidia) cards.

Yeah I'm not a complete n00b when it comes to PCs. I'm not a genius or anything but I can figure out most stuff. We have the program installed at work, with an Intel CPU and an ATi card. It's a demo we use and has been run 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for the past year and has maybe crashed twice. And I don't think it was the "unexpected error," but it's been a while.
I had a setup setup at home with AMD/ATi and had no issues whatsoever. When I switched to my 6800gs, on the same cpu (3200+), the unexpected error cropped up. I switched to my Opty 170 a while back (dual core) and the issue persisted. I had another post on this a while back pertaining to g3/g3.5 and it was mentioned that there is a possible conflict between AMD cpus and nVidia graphics cards.
opjose, I will try what you said when I get a chance and see if it helps. But if I remember right, the last time I posted about this with regards to G3/G3.5, it was decided that AMD/nVidia are just a little buggy with this program.
My way to replicate the error is actually just to switch any of the switches during the terrain/aircraft loading screens, and it will crash almost instantly upon completion of loading. Otherwise, it seems to be random.
As a side note, the new drivers do not like my system. My g/f had them installed on her system as well and it wouldn't even recognize her widescreen monitor with the proper resolution. I refuse to update to the new drivers until they work.
-Eric

Last edited:
0xdeadbeef said:
I don't feel like discussing this AGAIN.
People who deny that there are problems usually don't even use full screen mode or don't use vsync or have the shadow optimizations turned off and generally never cared to try if they could reproduce this.
This is NOT a matter of the driver, it happened with dozens of driver revisions, on different systems, with different (Nvidia) cards.

Actually I've tried to reproduce it many times.

I've had and seen the stated problems when I did on several occasions.

I've also been able to ELIMINATE them with the current version by "refreshing" my updates.

Problems gone, nada, no more...

Oh the bug with convective layer height is still there, and G3.5 will still throw up the texture mapping errors when it does not find a colorscheme file...

But the CTD's caused by the shadows/schenery and video driver are finally gone for the moment.

I was getting them with frequency after I did the update initially much to my surprise.

Again, if you are having these problems "refresh" your "update" via the launcher.

It's worked fine for me on a couple of systems that had the same issues.

Last edited:
Last time we discussed it you said at some point that you never use vsync, while I told you my way of reproducing the problem only worked with vsync on (I didn't notice at this time that also "shadow optimization on" is needed). Then the discussion ended.
You never hinted that you actually did what I suggested to reproduce the behavior. So I had/have to assume that you never did.
Besides, many problem lead to the same "unexpected error". Some may be causes by lacking driver, some by inconsistent installation. Then again, the Nvidia+fullscreen+vsync+shadowoptimization behaviour is a G3 bug IMHO. There are probably more (less frequent) paths that lead to the same error and I'd bet some of them are caused by G3 as well.

opjose...
I'm still getting the error, seemingly randomly.
I've cleared download cache, I really am not sure what you mean by "refreshing" the updates.
I have VSync turned off, on, doesn't matter. It acts the same.

0xdeadbeef... I'll try with shadow optimization turned off...
-Eric

Changed Shadow Optimization to Off, and did my flight routine on night field with Foiler 60 3D...
Take off, flip inverted, fly tail first counterclockwise, then straight across the runway towards the right, climb to stall turn, and spin the tail. After like 2 or 3 tail rotations, it crashes. It's done it several times in a row now.
I guess I should mention that it has always the same approximate FPS and Physics framerate. Not much changes. Weird?
-Eric

Attachments

• G3.5 Crash.JPG
    G3.5 Crash.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
0xdeadbeef said:
Last time we discussed it you said at some point that you never use vsync, while I told you my way of reproducing the problem only worked with vsync on (I didn't notice at this time that also "shadow optimization on" is needed).

Then the discussion ended.

You never hinted that you actually did what I suggested to reproduce the behavior. So I had/have to assume that you never did.

Actually I think you missed the post on another thread where I responded to you.

I gave you a "you're right" there... I was able to reproduce your problem with vsync ON.

Then I attempted to eliminate the problem.

That's what lead me to the "refresh" solution that has continued to work fine with vsync on and off.

0xdeadbeef said:
Besides, many problem lead to the same "unexpected error". Some may be causes by lacking driver, some by inconsistent installation. Then again, the Nvidia+fullscreen+vsync+shadowoptimization behaviour is a G3 bug IMHO. There are probably more (less frequent) paths that lead to the same error and I'd bet some of them are caused by G3 as well.

Of note was that the last update of G3.5 had the problem you cite which was worst than ever. I had it frequently crashing under certain conditions...

Once I cleared the cache and "upgraded to specific version" to refresh the install the problem went away.

I assume that the original download I received was the problem.... since I've not had this problem again.

I still have the zero elevation CTD problem listed elsewhere this is also reproduceable.

zero elevation CTD? I've never seen that one. The only error I ever get is "an unexpected error has occurred."

I'm sill not entirely sure what you mean by "refresh" ...
-Eric

rccardude04 said:
zero elevation CTD? I've never seen that one. The only error I ever get is "an unexpected error has occurred."

I'm sill not entirely sure what you mean by "refresh" ...
-Eric

Clear the download cache ( it's right on the lancher's menu ).

Once done select "upgrade to specific version".

Then just choose the very last one available.

The launcher then will download a bunch of files.

If this takes more than a couple of minutes you're in business.

Wait until it finishes, then launch G3 and see if the error continues to occur.

It's G4 :p
And yeah, unfortunately that's exactly what I did...
It seems to do it MUCH more on the photofields... If that means anything.
I think my computer is just too fast and I need to slow it down. lol.
I did also do this in G3 and it didn't work either.
I've tried vsync on, off, shadow optimization on, off, whatever you want to think of I think I've tried it... Anything more technical I should try? I refuse to fly out of fullscreen... lol. The graphics are unbearable.

I guess I could just call them but that's no challenge. And they probably won't be able to help anyway.
-Eric

Last edited:
Back