Another airport creation question

pgoelz

OK, I've gotten to the point where I can create a panorama, import it, create an airport, and add objects so they match the photofield. Only trouble is that if I scale and place objects (such as trees, for example) so they match the photofield, they are in fact way too far away in "real life" and the heli travels way too far before it reaches them.

I have an airport laid out such that the distances to objects are approximately correct. At least their absolute positions as reported in the eidtor are about right. What I seem to be missing is a way to scale the photofield so it matches the actual scale. I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that the photofield was created from photographs that were taken with a wider than "normal" lens.... about 28mm in this case.... and that distorted the perspective. Is the only solution to take a LOT more photos at something like 55mm? Has anyone else who created an airport dealt with this?

Paul

I've heard to line up the bottom of your "crash" object to the bottom of the panoramic object. It is a sim, though, and not reality.

The trouble is that placing objects so their bottom lined up with the bottom of the photographic object made them way too far away. Then it dawned on me that perhaps my horizon wasn't right. Turned out that was at least most of the problem. The ground in the airport I was creating is not level. It slopes away from the pilot position and up to the left and right. The horizon itself is not directly visible due to vegetation so it isn't possible to get it perfect. When I created the photofield I put the assumed horizon dead center. I think the problem was that the assumed horizon doesn't agree with the actual (non-visible) horizon. I did a bit of cloning and cropping and moved the whole photofield (and the assumed horizon) downward slightly and things fit much better now. I've uploaded it as version 2 of my "Skymasters heli practice field" on the swap pages.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/10958

In a related question, is there any logic to the coordinate system the editor uses? It reports absolute and relative positions for things. I am assuming that the absolute position is the displacement from the center of the photofield, but what is the relative position? The hint at the bottom says it is the position relative the parent object. But what the heck is the parent object? I get the concept but I can't figure out how to determine what the parent object is.

BTW, is there a way to update an uploaded file on the swap pages? The only way I could find was to delete the airport and re-upload.

Paul

OK, I've gotten to the point where I can create a panorama, import it, create an airport, and add objects so they match the photofield. Only trouble is that if I scale and place objects (such as trees, for example) so they match the photofield, they are in fact way too far away in "real life" and the heli travels way too far before it reaches them.

I have an airport laid out such that the distances to objects are approximately correct. At least their absolute positions as reported in the eidtor are about right. What I seem to be missing is a way to scale the photofield so it matches the actual scale. I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that the photofield was created from photographs that were taken with a wider than "normal" lens.... about 28mm in this case.... and that distorted the perspective. Is the only solution to take a LOT more photos at something like 55mm? Has anyone else who created an airport dealt with this?

Paul

Paul
Though this is an old post, I’m hoping someone might help. I have a similar problem. In my photofield, by the time I push the plane-spawn out far enough that it appears on the runway, it seems WAY too small. Is there a way to set the default “zoom” on the “camera”?

Back