Antivirus Software False Positives

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
Some antivirus software packages have been flagging various RealFlight executables as containing a virus. These are false positives; the applications do not actually contain malicious software, but sometimes they look that way to protection software.

We had previously seen this with the installer and the LauncherHelper. Immediately prior to the release of 9.5 we submitted those executables to Microsoft for review, and they updated their definitions to prevent incorrectly flagging them. We had not seen the same problem with the Launcher until today, when apparently the latest definitions update from Microsoft caused Windows Defender to start quarantining it.

We have now submitted RealFlight 9.5's Launcher9.exe for review as well. Hopefully this problem will be remedied shortly; Microsoft's response time previously was impressive.

We will also explore ways of preventing this from happening as much in the future.

In the meantime, here are the steps you can take to fix the situation on your computer when dealing with Windows Defender:
  1. Open Virus & threat protection settings. You can often get to this by clicking a recent notification in the task bar, but you can also open the Windows Start menu and start typing "virus".

Windows Defender 1.png

2. Click Protection history.

Windows Defender 2.png

3. You should see something like the following (though probably with fewer items listed). Find the "Threat quarantined" item with the correct date and click to expand it.
    Windows Defender 3.png
  4. Click the Actions dropdown and select Restore.

Windows Defender 4.png
  5. At this point the affected .exe should once again exist in its original location. Now, click Actions again and select Allow to prevent it from happening again.

Windows Defender 5.png
The Start menu and desktop shortcuts to the Launcher should work normally after the above steps. No extra action should be required.

Please do not attempt to remedy the problem by copying a different .exe into place, such as from your installation DVDs or a source online. There are a few reasons for this. The best solution, both for an immediate fix and to reduce the chances of it happening again, are to go through the above steps.

If you are having the same problem with different antivirus software, you should have some options which are similar to the above. We can't provide step-by-step instructions, but the above should at least be a helpful guide. Also, please let us know which utility is complaining, so that we can attempt to address it with them.

Hopefully there will be an update from Microsoft soon. You may find it helpful to periodically manually trigger a check for updated definitions

Just got my 9.5 today and having issues with installation. What I tried was to just download 9.0 and it worked, but now when I try and update from 9.0 to 9.5 in the launcher screen its not letting me! Man what a headache!

No I haven't tried that yet. Sounds like a plan. I go ahead and give it a try now and let you know how I made out. Thank you for the link BD!!

I just tried it and tech support won't open from launcher it says (c:/programfiles (x86)/commonfiles/knifeEdge/launcherhelper9.exe) is missing?
Thanks for any help Bd!

Try saving out a text file in that directory and rename it to launcherhelper9.exe (you will need to check the show extensions option in file explorer). Then try it. It appears your AV is removing or quarantining the files. You should be able to allow and restore them somewhere in it's options. That would be the proper solution.

Also make sure you've updated your AntiVirus definitions to the latest versions there was an issue that was fixed in the latest definitions from Microsoft if you're using there's. "you probably already knew that" And that issue may already be fixed in other antivirus programs now too.

I just installed 9.5 on my laptop from work I brought home to reload as it had crashed during my disability absence. I had no problems installing it from the download installer package. The only thing was Windows blocked it at first as it was from an Unknown Publisher. Once I clicked More Info - Run Anyway it installed fine. There were no Windows Defender AV hits. My definitions were updated this morning. So it has definitely been fixed for that AV.

I do have the disc hardware that came with controller. Maybe if I get a external dvd drive I could possibly get it that way?

I tried to download it and then copy and paste it to a thumb drive and it still wouldn't allow it. I did then try and update my windows 10 to version 2004 and also went into Regedit Registry editor and changed value data from 1 to 0 in Enable LUA settings. I'm not sure which one of the two changes I made did it. But I was able to install the RF 9.5 with no issues. :) I want to thank you guys for all the help because if it wasn't for you I probably would have sent it back to Horizon for a refund! You guys are great!! Thank you so much!

Today, McAfee removed Launcher 9 and Launcher 9 Helper. I thought I had this fixed a few weeks ago when I added Launcher 9 to the excluded files list, but apparently not.

I'm getting PWS:Win32/Fareit!ml this error when i try extracting the program from the installer. btw I don't have a DVD slot so I downloaded the application from that site on the installation guide

Attachments

• Screenshot (380).png
    Screenshot (380).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Today, McAfee removed Launcher 9 and Launcher 9 Helper. I thought I had this fixed a few weeks ago when I added Launcher 9 to the excluded files list, but apparently not.
Because of the information they require, it looks like I can't submit to McAfee for review without having experienced the problem myself. But you can! Here is a link with more info.

I'm getting PWS:Win32/Fareit!ml this error when i try extracting the program from the installer. btw I don't have a DVD slot so I downloaded the application from that site on the installation guide
Zombiesquidz, I don't see any info in your screenshot about the source of the problem. That is, nothing seems to indicate that the reported problem is related to one of our applications. Is there a way to get more details?

I'm actually suspicious of that entire message. Some of the language used does not strike me as something that would come from Microsoft.

Back