Any Interest?

abaser

So, I'm kind of considering dusting off Max once again, but before I do, is there any interest even for RF8 models anymore? Just by looking, I see I still have two threads on the first page of this sub forum, and that tells me there's NO traffic on it at all. If so, I thought I'd start off with a simple model just to knock the rust off, then maybe get back into one of my older, more detailed models. So, anyone?

Also, I see things have moved to 9.5 now with a new controller. Any setbacks I need to be aware of that would keep my models from importing into 9.5?

If I proceed, here's the planned model. The Old School Model Works Mambo. I know NOTHING about the model, just thought it would be an interesting model to get back into it on.

Attachments

• OSMW-Mambo-finished.jpg
    OSMW-Mambo-finished.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 10
Yeah I love old school stuff so go for it. I actually looked at that plane recently and thought it was cool.

Yeah I love old school stuff so go for it. I actually looked at that plane recently and thought it was cool.
While it's an interesting model, I'm finding very little info on it. Even harder to get good reference pics. Can't find the first decent image for 3 view use, so, I may be looking at another one real soon.

i managed to get this using Google Image Search sleuthing... 2 views is better than none, right?
osmw-mambo-color-scheme-blank.jpg

So, I'm kind of considering dusting off Max once again, but before I do, is there any interest even for RF8 models anymore? Just by looking, I see I still have two threads on the first page of this sub forum, and that tells me there's NO traffic on it at all. If so, I thought I'd start off with a simple model just to knock the rust off, then maybe get back into one of my older, more detailed models. So, anyone?

Also, I see things have moved to 9.5 now with a new controller. Any setbacks I need to be aware of that would keep my models from importing into 9.5?

If I proceed, here's the planned model. The Old School Model Works Mambo. I know NOTHING about the model, just thought it would be an interesting model to get back into it on.
Hey there Andy, real nice to see chiming in. :) (y) I really can`t speak to the interest in RF8 models, HOWEVER, they all can be imported into RF9 (as you know), I don`t recall if it/that works in reverse, I`m thinking it does :unsure: :unsure: ,..back to RF7...... In regards to the controller, you shouldn`t have any problems there, as long as you keep the # of channels to the limit of RF8 users, you CAN go over that limit, BUT RF8 users wouldn`t have all the channels that RF9 users have, therefore, they would be limited, BUT, if you`re still in RF8, you wouldn`t do that, so it`s a moot point.....The Mambo looks like a fun/interesting little plane, just fine for "knocking the rust off".........In regards to one of your "older models",.. the Extra NG was coming along real nice and would be favored very well, THEN, If I recall, you were working on a P-51B WAAAYY back when, AND, that would be VERY WELL favored, as most/ALL military planes are. Regardless, it would be GREAT to see you back here again. On a side note, your 40% Pitts has done very well, as has the CS I did for it, at least by todays standards... :):)

UT, you and space boy must be looking over my shoulder. So far I’ve got what you’ve provided as well. I plan on doing the black CS for it if I go along with it, so that means it’ll have the bones modeled as well. I’ve got a shot of all the pieces so that’ll make modeling the bones simple. I may actually build the model backwards from how I usually do it and place the structure pieces first and create the skin around those pieces. That’s about the only way I can see to get a truly accurate shape.

Hey there Andy, real nice to see chiming in. :) (y) I really can`t speak to the interest in RF8 models, HOWEVER, they all can be imported into RF9 (as you know), I don`t recall if it/that works in reverse, I`m thinking it does :unsure: :unsure: ,..back to RF7...... In regards to the controller, you shouldn`t have any problems there, as long as you keep the # of channels to the limit of RF8 users, you CAN go over that limit, BUT RF8 users wouldn`t have all the channels that RF9 users have, therefore, they would be limited, BUT, if you`re still in RF8, you wouldn`t do that, so it`s a moot point.....The Mambo looks like a fun/interesting little plane, just fine for "knocking the rust off".........In regards to one of your "older models",.. the Extra NG was coming along real nice and would be favored very well, THEN, If I recall, you were working on a P-51B WAAAYY back when, AND, that would be VERY WELL favored, as most/ALL military planes are. Regardless, it would be GREAT to see you back here again. On a side note, your 40% Pitts has done very well, as has the CS I did for it, at least by todays standards... :):)
After the rust is off, those two are next priority. I actually looked at the NG tonight and was considering moving on with it, but not yet. It’s been so long ago that I couldn’t even comprehend how I did some of the stuff I did on it.

UT, you and space boy must be looking over my shoulder. So far I’ve got what you’ve provided as well. I plan on doing the black CS for it if I go along with it, so that means it’ll have the bones modeled as well. I’ve got a shot of all the pieces so that’ll make modeling the bones simple. I may actually build the model backwards from how I usually do it and place the structure pieces first and create the skin around those pieces. That’s about the only way I can see to get a truly accurate shape.
Yeah, I/we figured you`d see that stuff before, but we`re not sure if you had or not, thus we are sharing what we`ve found, might be good reading for those that haven`t ?? ......Building it "backwards" as you say, should be interesting....In regards to post #13, It really hasn`t been that long, once you get back into it, it`ll all come back to you.....I`ve got to be honest though, of the NG and the Mustang, I`d really like to see the Stang done, a new "B" model would be real nice. I know there`s an older one on the swaps, but that`s the problem, it`s old, and looks it, but, if I recall, the NG was real close to being done, so it would probably be the better to go to, and further clean the rust off....

I’ve actually got 3 different files I’d love to finish. Of those, the NG is actually the farthest from completion. The Knight Twister only needs a CS finished and imported for physics if I’m not mistaken. The Mustang has some work left on the main gear, CS, and all the other necessary naming and such for import. The NG isn’t finished, no mapping to speak of, nothing named or linked, but is one of the more detailed as well.

Attachments

• F3982018-1318-4D40-A38F-E060F2CD76C1.jpeg
    F3982018-1318-4D40-A38F-E060F2CD76C1.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 98938F57-C949-44AD-BF28-80D25178EAFE.jpeg
    98938F57-C949-44AD-BF28-80D25178EAFE.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 28614462-FDA5-4E9E-9BA0-7BA5FD122490.jpeg
    28614462-FDA5-4E9E-9BA0-7BA5FD122490.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 28
I’ve actually got 3 different files I’d love to finish. Of those, the NG is actually the farthest from completion. The Knight Twister only needs a CS finished and imported for physics if I’m not mistaken. The Mustang has some work left on the main gear, CS, and all the other necessary naming and such for import. The NG isn’t finished, no mapping to speak of, nothing named or linked, but is one of the more detailed as well.
Well, that goes to show how good my memory is. I thought the NG was almost done (I do recall the detail though)....I thought the Stang was farthest from being done and that it was a "B" version, and the Night Twister, well, "Cripes A`Mighty" (pun intended) I forgot all about it completely. ALL great candidates for completion, would definitely be some great additions to the swaps, as well as great feathers in your cap.

Last edited:
Back