Any way to put the menu like a main bar?

Why reinvent the wheel here for the main menu selections? While the use of a different approach for filtering may be great, this could have been done without eliminating the menu bar for basic navigation. Anyone that has ever used a Microsoft Windows PC expects there to be a menu bar (and right mouse click to context sensitive selections). The menu bar in RF9.5 worked great and conformed to the Windows programming style. Eventually people will maybe figure out this approach but RF just burdened themselves with a huge unnecessary support load. At the very least, RF should have had a PDF users manual available at release.

For me, the 'old style' menu bar is much quicker and easier to navigate. Wish there was an option to select 'menu bar' or 'Evolution navigation approach'.

I'm a little slow some times but I think I now understand why the menu approach changed - as @Ryan Douglas stated in the Evolution announcement "
  • A brand-new controller-friendly user interface"
The key being controller friendly since you can not navigate the "standard menu bar" with only up/down motion available on the controller scroll wheel. So, I don't expect the new menu to go away. HOWEVER, that does not preclude RF from also allowing the standard menu bar from being accessible to those that would prefer to navigate with mouse and keyboard using the standard menu bar. Just include a user switch in settings to switch between the two menus. Not all of us want to use the controller for navigation especially since some navigation still requires the use of the keyboard.

Sorry to keep beating on this topic but the Evolution navigation menu is still annoying me. I have spent the afternoon switching between 9.5S and Evolution. Why? When I'm looking to see if RF has a feature, it is much easier for me to find in in 9.5S. When scrolling through the 9.5S user manual I came across this statement:

"RealFlight 9.5S utilizes a drop-down menu-driven interface system. Created for ease of use and maximum flexibility, the menu system provides an interface familiar to even a casual computer user."

Even after multiple trips through the Evolution menu I still find myself going back and forth to find a feature. The DROP-DOWN menu of 9.5S provides the much needed (for me) context on where to look.

HH, please make the drop-down menu a user selectable option. I use RF on a computer so the keyboard and mouse are always close at hand :).

I can't find the thread but I believe this was covered on RCGroups. Honestly I've found better info of user interface of RF Ultimate on RCG than on here, granted I'm new to the whole simulator world so I haven't navigated these forums nearly as much as RCG.

Anywho, hit the ~` key (under ESC key) and the console menu pops up. Type in "showlegacymenu" and hit enter (no quotations) and this will toggle it on and off. I am looking forward to what else you can access from this console menu. Hopefully this info gets out there!

Attachments

• PXL_20221106_134021291.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221106_134021291.MP.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 15
Yes, the "showlegacymenu" console command works great, that will make a lot of people happy, I wonder why RF team did not inform us.?

Attachments

• Showlegacymenu.jpg
    Showlegacymenu.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 6
Yes, the "showlegacymenu" console command works great, that will make a lot of people happy, I wonder why RF team did not inform us.?
Yes, it works great. Now I wonder if there's a way to disable the new menu from coming up when you press the Escape key? That way things should be back to the original way. Even if you lose some of the new functionality.

The only thing missing is the red "X" exit tab in the top right screen, so now I select Simulation, (top left) and select Exit.

The only thing missing is the red "X" exit tab in the top right screen, so now I select Simulation, (top left) and select Exit.
I was so happy I didn't notice that I just happened to use the exit from the menu. I usually use the Red X.

To me having both the new and legacy menus is a win-win for Evolution. But there should be a way to disable the new menu completely. With the showlegacymenu "on" pressing the escape key still brings up the new menu. (but i can live with that) RealFlight was perfect before I just don't need any of the new functionality.

Last edited:
I can't find the thread but I believe this was covered on RCGroups. Honestly I've found better info of user interface of RF Ultimate on RCG than on here, granted I'm new to the whole simulator world so I haven't navigated these forums nearly as much as RCG.

Anywho, hit the ~` key (under ESC key) and the console menu pops up. Type in "showlegacymenu" and hit enter (no quotations) and this will toggle it on and off. I am looking forward to what else you can access from this console menu. Hopefully this info gets out there!
@ZaDeer THANK YOU!!!
Guess I had better start frequenting RCGroups more...

To elaborate on the console menu: you can type in "help" (just help, no quotations) and a whole list of commands come up. This is where the RCG guys found "showlegacymenu". I've been on RF for two days so totally new to this software and it provides everything I need at the moment (Turbo Timber on Floats in Alaska Float Sky is an absolute joy). Hopefully you guys can scroll thru the "help" menu on the console command and find what you are looking for!

Attachments

• PXL_20221106_155121411.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221106_155121411.MP.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I just started Evolution and I have the Red X on the right side of the window, do you have the Show Title bar turned off under Simulation?

Back