Anybody see RF9.5s yet?

I hate to be the Devil's advocate but since there has been no assurance the swap pages will survive RealFlight's sale to Horizon Hobby is there a possibly of an update delivered by Steam (automatically) that removes the ability to import user created aircraft? Since my personal use for RealFlight is creating my own planes I don't care for any updates that might remove my ability to do that. I'd rather stick with an old version than lose that.

My question is do I have to convert my serial number now or is that offer good until the next version comes out.

I hate to be the Devil's advocate but since there has been no assurance the swap pages will survive RealFlight's sale to Horizon Hobby is there a possibly of an update delivered by Steam (automatically) that removes the ability to import user created aircraft? Since my personal use for RealFlight is creating my own planes I don't care for any updates that might remove my ability to do that. I'd rather stick with an old version than lose that.

My question is do I have to convert my serial number now or is that offer good until the next version comes out.
Ryan said your RF key will continue to work but you will not receive future updates, and moving forward all new releases of Realflight (RF 10) will require a Steam Key to activate the software, so I guess I might as well climb aboard the Steam band wagon, it is a change of the times we live in, do I like it, (not really) but my trust in the move will only be proved in time.

Ryan said your RF key will continue to work but you will not receive future updates, and moving forward all new releases of Realflight (RF 10) will require a Steam Key to activate the software, so I guess I might as well climb aboard the Steam band wagon, it is a change of the times we live in, do I like it, (not really) but my trust in the move will only be proved in time.
No sweat each person will do what's best for them. I have no problem buying RF10 on Steam when it comes out to make sure I have the ability to create planes for the RF 9.5 I have now. All the new stuff that comes out has never meant anything to me I don't fly the built-in planes and I certainly don't need as3x. So what I have works for me.

Another question comes to mind, will AMD graphics cards work perfectly with the Steam version. ?
Ryan said "9.5S is fundamentally the same software as 9.5" so they haven't done anything but put a Steam installer and updater on it so it's still using the same DX 9 graphics API and AMD will have the same problem.

Last edited:
9.5S is fundamentally the same software as 9.5.
Awesome, thanks for the update!
How fundamentally the same? Is this a content patch or is there some work under the hood with game engine/ driver support? I have seen some ATI graphics guys are having issues, are those going to get patched?

What is steam? Is there any monthly charges?

No it's a bit like an online library for games like Itunes for movies and music. Unless you are trying to hide from the internet its actually a massive and more convenient way to run RF as it manages updates and lets you participate in beta testing and no more having to reinstall a disk and then hours of patching. I would never go back to a disc.

Looking forward to the RF9.5s Steam store version. I have heaps of Steam games/sims and I love how convenient they are, esp with updates. I especially love how easy it is to use games/sims on different PC's with your Steam account (one at a time of course). I'll def be getting a key for this.

Not sure whether or not whether or not I'll need to uninstall my RF9.5 download version before installing the Steam version but I'm sure that this will be spelt out more clearly at the time. All good imho. Cheers mates.

I hope you are correct, I was just wondering if any of the modelers had actually used steam for importing.
I will not exchange my RF 9.5 key until I am sure the process works.
The only Steam Flight Simulator I use is Acro FS.
If anything, I believe that Steam distribution is going to streamline the content creator process, and we may see a new Realflight all-together, Steam Workshop is specifically designed to handle custom content distribution.

I am personally hoping they decide to revamp the entire software, using either Unity or Unreal Engine.

Thinking about all of this, I am kind of wondering if we creators should compile all of our content from this site, and migrate it to the Workshop?

I am personally hoping they decide to revamp the entire software, using either Unity or Unreal Engine.
They already did this - RFX. It flopped & was discontinued because it unusable with anything less than a $500+ video card. I got 2to5fps in RFX with a video card that gave me 90fps in RF7. If I were a gamer, it might have been OK. But I don't run any other software that needs that kind of video. Even though Tower said "no refunds" they allowed me to un-register & return RFX & replace it with RF8. I chose to spend a little extra to get RF8 w/ the RFX controller, but I couldn't justify the extra 500 bucks for RFX.

Not sure whether or not whether or not I'll need to uninstall my RF9.5 download version before installing the Steam version but I'm sure that this will be spelt out more clearly at the time. All good imho. Cheers mates.

I was also wondering about this. Will we have to uninstall the download version before installing the Steam version? Or can you keep the downloaded version and Steam will simply convert the files on its own without having to download the entire software again? Just curious.

question .. if I exchange for serial for steam registration will i still be able to instal rf9 on older system and still bwe able to activate it>?
\

I'm guessing the activation server for the disc version will eventually be taken offline. They will keep it long enough to allow time for those to be used up (like another year or so). I think the same fate awaits the update server for the disc version.

so what your really saying is Sooner then Latter i just need to backup the program file itself/ or disc image .. just some general backup of installed program w/os! .. Sooner then latter guess I'am going to ben internet/wireless fossil I love have my own real work hardware and data i paid for ... so now you are in possession of nothing .. but a rental / long term lease they can take it away and rob you .. and nothing you can do about it .. Hell they haven't even thrown in the Maule M7 and i feel that's almost a true standard like the Timber imp

Started RF today and got an update notice, 9.5S is live!

Looks like all the planes I have added over the last couple of months are all there. Now I am looking for what planes were added.

Started RF today and got an update notice, 9.5S is live!

Looks like all the planes I have added over the last couple of months are all there. Now I am looking for what planes were added.

Where did you see this? I started up RF9.5 today (download version) and did not see this. Also went to the HH link and it still said after 12 December.

Where did you see this? I started up RF9.5 today (download version) and did not see this. Also went to the HH link and it still said after 12 December.
I bought RF9.5 from Steam a few months ago so I get the updates automatically.
Everything is pretty much the same with a few new planes. The Draco is fun with prop reversing. There are so many Timbers, I guess that is what they want to push next year.

Back