Anybody see RF9.5s yet?

I bought RF9.5 from Steam a few months ago so I get the updates automatically.
Everything is pretty much the same with a few new planes. The Draco is fun with prop reversing. There are so many Timbers, I guess that is what they want to push next year.
Ok , then this has nothing to do with those that have non-Steam versions that may want to update/migrate to RF9.5s. Good to hear your Steam version 9.5s is working well though. Thanks.

Hello everyone! Here on the eve of the 9.5S release I want to follow up and answer some additional questions. I'll try to summarize and address the main ones I've seen raised.

What is new in 9.5S?
This is primarily a content release that will transition users to Steam.

New models:
  • Blade 330 S
  • E-flite DRACO 2.0m (6S)
  • E-flite F-14 Tomcat Twin 40mm EDF
  • E-flite F-14 Tomcat Twin 40mm EDF (without gear)
  • E-flite T-28 Trojan 1.1m (3S)
  • E-flite T-28 Trojan 1.1m (4S)
  • E-flite Turbo Timber Evolution 1.5m (4S)
  • E-flite Turbo Timber Evolution 1.5m (4S with slats)
  • E-flite Turbo Timber Evolution 1.5m Float Plane (4S)
  • E-flite Turbo Timber Evolution 1.5m Float Plane (4S with slats)
New airport:
  • AMA Flying Site 4
Note that the F-14 is a brand new model with fully functional variable-sweep wings that you can fly in 9.5S months before the model hits store shelves!

What is Steam? Are there any monthly charges?
Steam is a digital software distribution system. They cater largely to the gaming market, but also sell simulation titles and other software tools. It requires a free account to use, and a credit card if you want to make any purchases directly from them. You can also purchase Steam keys in other places (such as for RealFlight 9.5S in your favorite hobby shop!) which you can then redeem on Steam.

The Steam client replaces the RealFlight Launcher.

For more info, I suggest you visit their site here: https://store.steampowered.com/
And their "about" page is a good place to learn more: https://store.steampowered.com/about/

How does the key exchange program work?
Starting tomorrow, December 8, you can visit https://keyexchange.realflight.com/ to exchange your RealFlight 9 serial number for a RealFlight 9.5S Steam key. You then redeem that key through Steam and download RF9.5S. From then on, RealFlight 9.5S will appear in your Steam library, available for download anywhere.

What happens to my serial number after the exchange?
The exchange is a one-time, one-direction operation. As the name implies, it is an actual exchange; afterward, your old RealFlight serial number will no longer work, and you will not need it for anything. You will run your Steam version of RealFlight instead.

How long do I have to exchange my serial number?
This is not a guarantee, but my current understanding is that the key exchange website will remain live and functional until at least the end of 2022.

Will 9.5S require a separate installation?
If you already have the Steam version of RealFlight 9.5, then 9.5S simply updates your existing installation. If you are making the switch to Steam, yes, 9.5S will be an all-new installation.

Can/Should I uninstall my DVD/Tower Digital version?
Technically it will continue to work on the computer where it is already installed, but there is no reason to keep it around. You might as well uninstall it and free up the space. It's best to do that before installing and running 9.5S.

Will I lose my custom content and settings after exchanging my key?
Not if you do it right. When you uninstall your current installation, be sure to NOT check the option to remove custom content. You want that to stay in place! You may also want to manually back up your RealFlight.ini file in <Documents>\RealFlight 9 and restore it after uninstallation is complete in order to retain your settings.

What will happen to the swap pages?
The completion of the RealFlight acquisition by Horizon Hobby is an ongoing process. It is going very well! Even so, we expect it to take a number of months before all aspects are finally settled. The ability to import/export custom content is a core RealFlight feature, and the swap pages are an incredibly important element supporting that feature. Nobody wants to see them go away. For now they'll continue to work as part of the Knife Edge Software forums, but we expect to re-home them one way or another.

Does RF9.5S support the Steam Workshop?
No. But moving the entire userbase to Steam opens up the possibility of using more of the feature set Steam offers to applications. We're intrigued by the potential here.

What will happen to the activation and registration servers for old versions of RealFlight?
They will continue to operate for the foreseeable future. Just because this and future versions of RealFlight go through Steam doesn't mean we want to break previous versions that people are still using.

Does 9.5S have any effect on AMD graphics card support?
No. RealFlight 9.5S uses DirectX 9. AMD has broken support for DirectX 9 in their recent drivers for at least some of their graphics cards, and fixing it does not seem to be a priority for them. There are no quick workarounds available on our end at this time.

Do Expansion Packs/Mega Packs work with 9.5S?
Yes.

I'm glad to see some people are getting the update already! We quietly let it out just a little early for users who already have 9.5 on Steam. It will receive the full release treatment starting tomorrow, and as I mentioned above the key exchange website will also be live at that time.

At that link I don't see any explanation about what's new. ?

edit: It appears that it is exclusively distributed via Steam now. That seems more of a sidegrade to me.
At that link I don't see any explanation about what's new. ?

edit: It appears that it is exclusively distributed via Steam now. That seems more of a sidegrade to me.
I updated the simulator to version 9.5S today and the sim stopped starting.

I don't get all this RF 9.5s. What's the big draw to this new version......only because it has some new aircraft...? Did they fix the physics engine so when you fly cockpit view you don't get any of the shaking when you fly away from any airport...? (no its not my computer or video card settings either causing it). It's endemic to the program. I have an uber gaming system and still get shaking too far away from the airports. If they didn't fix that, convince me I have to have this new version...! I've seen nothing mentioned about any software fixes.

Does 9.5S have any effect on AMD graphics card support?
No. RealFlight 9.5S uses DirectX 9. AMD has broken support for DirectX 9 in their recent drivers for at least some of their graphics cards, and fixing it does not seem to be a priority for them. There are no quick workarounds available on our end at this time.
The rest of the world is on DirectX 11. Why not RealFlight????

Do Expansion Packs/Mega Packs work with 9.5S?
Yes.
HOW???

I have been adding since RF 6.......

I don't get all this RF 9.5s. What's the big draw to this new version......only because it has some new aircraft...? Did they fix the physics engine so when you fly cockpit view you don't get any of the shaking when you fly away from any airport...? (no its not my computer or video card settings either causing it). It's endemic to the program. I have an uber gaming system and still get shaking too far away from the airports. If they didn't fix that, convince me I have to have this new version...! I've seen nothing mentioned about any software fixes.
I am super hesitant, not unlike some people getting vaccinated. The unknowns for many of us cause concern.

As seen Steam is a distribution system. What advantage to the typical RF user is there? Us old guys have a hard enough time the way it is. Are there real world advantages for the typical user?

I had hoped that any upgrades would be along the lines of a better physics engine or enhanced graphics. My system and GPU loaf along running Realflight. I have been strongly wanting to try RFX if I can find a copy to purchase.

For me, all I see here is some third party company grabbing my info to market with and not compensating me in a way that makes things better for me the user.

Further, as I understand it, Steam takes 30% commission. I can guess who pays for that!

All I can think (from my likely narrow perspective) is some marketing person thinks this is great.

Me thinks not so great for the user base, as there appear to be no actual benefits to the user

Prove me wrong, please!

Lovely......

I bet no error codes a normal person can find.

Again we are paying beta testers.

I am getting no warm fuzziness about this change.
If you are happy with you current RF9.5 version there is no reason to change imho. The main advantage for me with my current download version is that, like all Steam apps, it's easier to use with other pc's. Not at the same time of course.

What he said above. I’m happy with my current version. I have the settings tweaked, my video card tweaked and it runs excellent on my new gaming system. The funny thing about this is, all those new planes listed are either already posted in the swap files by users or will be tweaked and reposted by users and aircraft developers to the swap files. So again unless they fixed the physics engine I see no need to upgrade.

Legion T5i, i7, 8 cores, 2.90Mhrtz, 16 threads, 16gig GDDR4 RAM, Nvidia GTX 1660 Super 6gig GDDR6 VRAM.

Last edited:
I am underwhelmed by RF9.5 as it does not run any better than RF 6 (for me.)

My system boosts better specs including a RTX 2060. What did you tweak? My graphics seem no better, faster, detailed or crisper than when I was using my older boxes.

Ditto about the physics, too.....

Going to have to be RFX like before I change, it is seeming......

Yes, I am Curmudgeon Man!

So, for those that don`t know (myself included), just how do you "redeem" your "steam key" once it`s been emailed to you, .....going from email, I`m guessing it`s a copy ..??.THEN..opening up your steam account (assuming you already have it installed, which I do) AND THEN pasting what you`ve copied from your email somewhere in your steam account. I assuming that the "paste" will be somewhere in the RF sim option, which I`ve already seen is an option to "buy" within steam.

If you are happy with you current RF9.5 version there is no reason to change imho. The main advantage for me with my current download version is that, like all Steam apps, it's easier to use with other pc's. Not at the same time of course.
the incentive did not have the opportunity to enter real flight without updating it. and so I certainly would not update

OK, I got my Steam key from HH today. I just followed the easy instructions provided in my e-mail and all worked well. Took a little while to download the +3Gb but not too bad.

I like how the Steam Library gives you startup options (PC, SteamVR, Oculus). After recalibrating my Interlink DX controller I tested this all out with my 1080p monitor, Vive Pro, and Oculus Quest 2 (Link and Air Link) and all works great. I like how easy it is to startup my Q2 in SteamVR because the colours look much better than with the Oculus startup. Overall performance seems about the same as my original 9.5 download version.

Pity that the heli blades still disappear on low-med rpm. So, whatever fixes were included with 9.5s, this was not one of them , lol!

So, for those that don`t know (myself included), just how do you "redeem" your "steam key" once it`s been emailed to you, .....going from email, I`m guessing it`s a copy ..??.THEN..opening up your steam account (assuming you already have it installed, which I do) AND THEN pasting what you`ve copied from your email somewhere in your steam account. I assuming that the "paste" will be somewhere in the RF sim option, which I`ve already seen is an option to "buy" within steam.

there is a tutorial in the email (via a link). the paste option is in steam itself it allows you to download it without paying (again) through steam.
2021-12-08 22_43_13-Steam Support __ Activating a Product on Steam and 3 more pages - Personal...jpg

Would someone mind posting a picture of the e-Flight Draco that's the only plane in 9.5s that interests me. So far I haven't been able to force myself to update to the Steam version. I've used Steam for "many" years and the auto updates are a nice feature but in the end I prefer a DVD or Download version so I can decide when I update. I may just wait and buy RF 10 when it comes out and stick with my DVD version for now.

Back