Anyone here using a Spektrum iX12 with RF7?

bob_nj

I have a machine with 7.5 in my shop and am wondering what cables if there are any I need to hook a Spektrum iX12
to RealFlight?

I use the iX12 on my laptop wirelessly, but am hoping there's a way to use it in the shop with some sort of cable.

Thanks for any help
Bob

I have a machine with 7.5 in my shop and am wondering what cables if there are any I need to hook a Spektrum iX12
to RealFlight?

I use the iX12 on my laptop wirelessly, but am hoping there's a way to use it in the shop with some sort of cable.
hi Bob, the iX12 uses the same cable as the NX6-10. Can be purchased on-line from Horizon Hobby (I bought one this morning) or your iX12 may have shipped with one.

The cable is a magnetic usb power|data charging cable. It doubles as the usb interface for RealFlight. The thing I'm not sure of (frankly) is whether it will work with Rf7.5; Rf7.5 usually needs the shipped interface for security startup.

marcus

I have the standard USB charging cable, but am unsure what you mean by magnetic?
My USB plugs in the side of the transmitter.

I've been using RF7 with a RealFlight interface box and a Taranis, but it has a 1/8 phone jack on the end.

So I plug it in and set up the controller in Windows?
Yes, if it works...

... what I mean is that Rf7.0 and Rf7.5 use the Interlink controller that ships with it as part of the validation process... no Interlink, no worky.

So, I'm interested in whether this will work as well. Frankly, I would upgrade to Rf9.5.031 and be done with it; but that's me, I don't want to be prescriptive. ;)

marcus

I do have an interlink, but as I said, I've been using the RF interface and a Taranis with RF7.
When I plugged in the iX12, Windows didn't see it as a Joystick for some reason.
I'm not a gamer and didn't know what to do from there, so I couldn't try it with RealFlight.

Thanks for the help guys
Bob

I do have an interlink, but as I said, I've been using the RF interface and a Taranis with RF7.
When I plugged in the iX12, Windows didn't see it as a Joystick for some reason.
Wait a minute...

... how did you plug in the iX12? What cable did you use (part no) and which ports (on each end) ?

PS edit: let's check the iX12 manual; which port is the buddy-port, training port?
PSS edit: check, I believe the buddy-port, training port, is not active by default... you have to setup that function; I'm going to check the manuals (online, mine also); post my findings.

marcus

Last edited:
I used the charging/USB cable that came with the transmitter.
I thought you implied that was the one to use here -->
or your iX12 may have shipped with one

So maybe there's hope.
Not sure the iX12 has a training port though.

Thank you again for your time and patience.
Bob

So maybe there's hope.
Not sure the iX12 has a training port though.
This is from the iX12 manual:
"Touch the Protocol drop down menu button. Select Inhibit or Crossfire. Selecting the Crossfire option will enable the CRFS data stream. Connecting the Crossfire system requires the Crossfire serial port adaptor (SPMA3090, not included). Consult the manufacturer’s manual for use of any external RF device. Horizon Hobby does not provide support for external RF devices connected to the iX12 transmitter".

The Crossfie CRFS data stream requires SPMA3090, and is not active by default; you have to activate it, and deactivate the RF (its on the same menu).

What I'm not sure about is whether the interlink that ships with Rf7 uses the CRFS data stream??

You could try it. The last sentence from the manual is not very encouraging though; Horizon Hobby isn't going to support it! They may be able to answer the question about the CRFS data stream and the interlink. On the other hand, that was before the time that Horizon Hobby took over. Take a look at your Rf7 manual regarding connecting other units through the interlink... does it talk about the CRFS data stream ?? If the serial protocol is compatible, it may work. :unsure:

marcus

Man, thanks for all of that.
I am not at all familiar with Crossfire or CRFS.
It's been information overload since I got the transmitter in November.
I've been trying to catch up ever since, and it's overwhelming for sure.

With that being said, I'll as some more sophomoric questions if you don't mind.

The cable isn't that expensive, and I'm willing to get one, but I would have no idea what to plug
the big end in to at the transmitter, do you?
Is there another adapter needed or something?

I'm not sure if RF7 talks about CRFS or not.
When I ordered RF7, I ordered it with the RF adaptor box and not an interlink so I could use it with
the Taranis, and it works fine.
I do however have an interlink that was supplied with RF8 for my laptop which I take with me on
deployments.

I'm out of town for work right now and will be back on Friday.
Maybe then I can look at the RF7 manual for any information.
In the mean time, I'll order up one of the cables unless you see a reason not to.

Thank you again for all of your time and perseverance.
I greatly appreciate it.
Eventually I'll come to an understanding of Spektrum and it's workings.
Right now it's a steep learning curve to get going.

So many questions,
So little time...

Take care
Bob

spma3090.jpg

The cable isn't that expensive, and I'm willing to get one, but I would have no idea what to plug
the big end in to at the transmitter, do you?
Is there another adapter needed or something?
Doesn't look like that is going to do it. I'm wondering if you use the cable you have, but this time try to enable the CRFS data stream, and see if the iX12 works through the interlink. To make sure you don't burn something out, you might run the whole idea past Horizon Hobby and get their input. In this whole experiment, you don't want to damage the iX12; that's one really nice transmitter... and very pricey too. :rolleyes:

marcus

I'm wondering if you use the cable you have, but this time try to enable the CRFS data stream, and see if the iX12 works through the interlink.

The cable I have is a USB cable and doesn't have a 1/8 phone jack as you describe so I'm not sure how I would
plug it in to the interlink.

Thanks
Bob

Back