AT-28D-5

This makes it sound as if the T-28D-5 and AT-28 were separate designations.

The –D (also known as T-28D-5, T-28D-10, AT-28 and the “Tango”) were –A, –B and some –C models converted by NAA and Fairchild Aviation for service in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. The aircraft had all the features of the –B plus armor plating, armament (there are three hard points on each wing to which 50-caliber machine gun pods, bomb pods and/or rocket pods could be attached), self-sealing fuel tanks, a stronger main wing spar, and an extraction seat (Stanley Aviation Yankee Ballistic Extraction System)

It sounds like they pulled T-28 A,B,&C models out of mothballs and reconfigured them into ground attack aircraft thus changing the designation to AT-28D "A" denoting "attack". I'm unclear what the 5, and 10 would mean.

I don't think I have ever seen an Attack version in real life, I grew up in Corpus Christi TX, so I saw plenty of typical red and white trainer T-28s. The Navel training base there also used I think a Beachcraft King Air as a multi engine trainer.

I remember Dad taking me to airshows and you could see T-28s in lines parked all over the place.

Last edited:
This makes it sound as if the T-28D-5 and AT-28 were separate designations.

The –D (also known as T-28D-5, T-28D-10, AT-28 and the “Tango”) were –A, –B and some –C models converted by NAA and Fairchild Aviation for service in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. The aircraft had all the features of the –B plus armor plating, armament (there are three hard points on each wing to which 50-caliber machine gun pods, bomb pods and/or rocket pods could be attached), self-sealing fuel tanks, a stronger main wing spar, and an extraction seat (Stanley Aviation Yankee Ballistic Extraction System)

It sounds like they pulled T-28 A,B,&C models out of mothballs and reconfigured them into ground attack aircraft thus changing the designation to AT-28D "A" denoting "attack". I'm unclear what the 5, and 10 would mean.

I don't think I have ever seen an Attack version in real life, I grew up in Corpus Christi TX, so I saw plenty of typical red and white trainer T-28s. The Navel training base there also used I think a Beachcraft King Air as a multi engine trainer.

I remember Dad taking me to airshows and you could see T-28s in lines parked all over the place.
You know at one point I ran into some information about what the -5 and -10 versions were and I think the -10 only added one thing but I looked around again and can't find it so maybe I was dreaming. But since the plane I'm modeling is covered fairly well in the webpage I got the picture from I'm going to use the name AT-28D-5 Nomad since that's what they say it is and just go from there. But if I run into that information again I'll keep a link to it and post it here. Again thanks for your help on this.

I just created the project folder for the AT-28D-5 Nomad and copied the original T-28 files and renamed them so at least I got started on it. I need to go back and do a few things before I can start working on modifying the parts so the progress will be slower than usual. I'm also still working on the latest 3d plane I'm doing so I'll be sharing time between them. Things will go slower because I'm doing more care for the wife and just generally slow at doing things these days. I think my get up and go kind of got up and went. HA! Right now I think it's time for some coffee and play my game.

What scale should I make this plane the same as the first T-28 I did (100in) or quarter scale (120in)?

Here's something I found about the -10 variant.

http://courtesyaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/T-28.pdf

In 1959, several hundred surplus "A" models were shipped to France and were
modified with the R-1820 engine, structural improvements, and armament for
combat use, by Sud Aviation for the French Air Force. These aircraft are
commonly referred as FENNEC, T-28S (Sud), or T-28F. After success in combat in
Algeria in the early sixties, they continued to serve France and several other
countries for many years.

Similar to the FENNEC but converted by various contractors in the U.S., the T28D-5 also
started as a surplus "A" model. Almost 250 "D" models were supplied
to U.S. and other forces fighting in Southeast Asia. Additionally, "B" & "C" models,
known as the T-28D-10, were also modified and used in combat.

More conversion info.

https://www.uswarplanes.net/t28.pdf

T-28 CONVERSIONS

Military Conversions

USAF / US Navy

GT-28A 1+ T-28A, conversions for ground instruction duties.
T-28BD 6 T-28B, drone director conversions.
(DT-28B) 6 1962, redesignation of T-28BD.

(NA-260) T-28D
371 T-28A / T-28B, 1962, engine / armament upgrade, various improvements
designated as: T-28D (Mod # 1 / 131 T-28A), T-28D-5 (Mod # 132 / 321
T-28A) and T-28D-10 (Mod # 401 / 450 T-28B). Most to Southeast Asia
MAP countries. 75 further conversions via USN with new BuNo. 150356 /
150405, 150692 / 150716 cancelled.

(RT-28D) 1+ T-28D, 1962, reconnaissance version of the T-28D.

(NA-260) AT-28D
50 T-28A, 1973, as T-28D-5 conversions, optimised for ground attack.
Conversions by Fairchild-Hiller Corp., Maryland (Mod # 001 / 050).
Most to Cambodia.

(NA-284) YAT-28E Turbo Trojan
3 T-28A(51-3786, 51-3788, 52-1242), 1963-1966, prototype ground attack
version with 4-bladed turboprop engine upgrade, taller tail, various
improvements. Original designation was RA-28.

Foreign Conversions

T-28S Fennec
149 T-28A, 1959, close air support conversions with surplus B-17 engines.
Prototypes were 2 Fennec 01 (civil reg. N6879C, N6883C) and 1 Fennec
02 (later to production standard with new c/n: 147). 146 production
conversions by Sud Aviation, France. New c/n: 1 / 146. Served in Algeria
then France as T-28F.

Technoid Replied: "Here's a video of the plane I'm modeling.
Geneseo Air Show 2018 North American AT-28D Nomad "

Would be great if somehow the engine sound from that video could be captured for use with your model.
Sounded very good! But that's another story !

Technoid Replied: "Here's a video of the plane I'm modeling.
Geneseo Air Show 2018 North American AT-28D Nomad "

Would be great if somehow the engine sound from that video could be captured for use with your model.
Sounded very good! But that's another story !
Yes it sounds great. Have you heard the engine sound in my first T-28? It's a custom radial sound.

I started looking at the old plane I copied over and found lots of things I need to fix before I start working on the modifications for the new plane, so there's no real progress to report just lots of frustration. I have some other stuff I need to catch up on so it might be a day or two before I can work on it again.

Yes it sounds great. Have you heard the engine sound in my first T-28? It's a custom radial sound.
Yes Sir ... I have most, if not all of your aircraft downloaded ... especially if it's military.
I just went and flew that plane ... great engine sound indeed.
Some time ago, I made my typical electric variant with engine stop/start and variable pitch prop. Sounds great when it chugs to a stop and pops on startup. Cruise's about 150 MPH ! Great Three piece canopy !
Guess you'll use that sound file with new creation.?

Yes Sir ... I have most, if not all of your aircraft downloaded ... especially if it's military.
I just went and flew that plane ... great engine sound indeed.
Some time ago, I made my typical electric variant with engine stop/start and variable pitch prop. Sounds great when it chugs to a stop and pops on startup. Cruise's about 150 MPH ! Great Three piece canopy !
Guess you'll use that sound file with new creation.?
Okay cool I just wanted to see if you heard it. It's hard finding good engine sounds they need to be long enough to sound good in RF. I've tried several that didn't sound good after I imported them in RF but that one and a couple others sounded good. But it would be cool to get sound clips for the radial sound in that video.

I got to do some work on the 28D today but I have more work to do before I can start reworking the parts for the new plane. Several things got messed up when I started the new project so I'm taking care of that which is taking more time than I thought it would. But I'm getting there.

The first thing I need to do for the new plane is relocate the landing gear. I don't know why I put the gear so far out on the wing but I need to move them in as close as possible to the fuselage so there's room for the pylons . I'm still going to cheat on the landing gear but it will look better than the original plane.

Ha.. each time I think I'm finished getting the project ready to work on I find something else I need to fix. But I did work on it today it's just not quite ready to modify the parts yet I found a few other things to fix.

Back