AT-28D-5

Sounds perfectly fine to me Tech!
This is going to be another one of my favorites!!
Okay thanks I've been looking for something that lists the armament by name (number) but I haven't seen anything yet. But the picture I found seems to have the bombs and rockets I used on the F8F but they're probably not exactly the same since the AT-28D-5 is Vietnam vintage instead of WWII. So if you happen to run into something let me know.

I am also not coming up with much on my internet search, honestly, if it looks the part that is good enough for me, I'm not going to get upset because you stuck your WW2 ordinance under a Vietnam era craft.
If it looks like a bomb, smells like a bomb, leaves a house sized hole in the ground like a ............ I think you get my point.

In reality, it was probably a situation where they were hanging anything they could on the hardpoints that they had available.

Last edited:
I am also not coming up with much on my internet search, honestly, if it looks the part that is good enough for me, I'm not going to get upset because you stuck your WW2 ordinance under a Vietnam era craft.
If it looks like a bomb, smells like a bomb, leaves a house sized hole in the ground like a ............ I think you get my point.

In reality, it was probably a situation where they were hanging anything they could on the hardpoints that they had available.
Yep I agree they were hanging anything on there they could.

Yes I found several pictures of the plane loaded up and a few models too I've just never seen anything where they gave the name/number of the weapons loaded. But I agree with the idea that if the ordinance I created for the F8F looks the part that's good enough. Which is why I put the picture of the real plane with the ordinance laid out which shows bombs and rockets that look like what I put on the F8F. So if everyone agrees that's good enough then that's what i'll use.

Here's something I just found looking for Vietnam vintage bombs and rockets. Not the same plane but they look about the same as the ones I made for the F8F. The bombs are a little smaller diameter and I was already planning to make mine a little smaller anyway.

vietnam-vintage-airplane-PADDGJ.jpg

Tech, don't overthink it, you could tell me you are going to hang 123LB MK X-YZ Kumquat Stinger Turtles under it and I would believe you that that, is a real thing. For me and probably most others, I studied the aircraft as a kid, I had stacks of books and went to the library often to find new material. I did not study the ordinance potential of all the aircraft.

If you create a sweet model, with something that looks like bombs and rockets under the wings I'm going to download it and enjoy it no matter what.

With that said, the level of detail and accuracy you decide to put in your creation is up to you, you never disappoint. And I have loved all your models.

My real life Top Flight P-40 kit has the droppable fuel tank, I have no clue what its code name was, how many gallons it would hold, or even if it's true to scale, all I know is, it looks the part in real life.

Cheers bud.

Last edited:
Tech, don't overthink it, you could tell me you are going to hang 123LB MK X-YZ Kumquat Stinger Turtles under it and I would believe you that that, is a real thing. For me and probably most others, I studied the aircraft as a kid, I had stacks of books and went to the library often to find new material. I did not study the ordinance potential of all the aircraft.

If you create a sweet model, with something that looks like bombs and rockets under the wings I'm going to download it and enjoy it no matter what.

With that said, the level of detail and accuracy you decide to put in your creation is up to you, you never disappoint. And I have loved all your models.

My real life Top Flight P-40 kit has the droppable fuel tank, I have no clue what its code name was, how many gallons it would hold, or even if it's true to scale, all I know is, it looks the part in real life.

Cheers bud.
Yeah since the picture of the plane I posted first with the ordinance at the bottom showed rockets and bombs that looked like the ones I've already created that's what I'll probably use with the only change making the bomb diameter a little smaller like the picture. Thanks for helping me with this.

123LB MK X-YZ Kumquat Stinger Turtles
????

images

Looking around a little more I ran into this statement on a website about T-28 Versions. So does everyone agree the plane I'm modeling should be called AT-28D-5 Nomad? I've seen it both ways so I don't want to confuse people. So how do you "vote" on the name? I haven't started working on it yet when I created the build thread I wasn't sure what the correct name should be so I left the name off.

A note should be made about the aircraft name in U.S. service. Officially, early T-28s were Trojans while armed versions were the Nomad. I didn't even know this until several years after retiring. Most pilots simply called it a T-28, a very few the Trojan.

Just for clarification,

T-28D Nomad
T-28Bs converted for the USAF in 1962 for the counter-insurgency, reconnaissance, search and rescue, and forward air controller roles in Vietnam. Fitted with two underwing hardpoints. The later T-28D-5 had ammo pans inside the wings that could be hooked up to hardpoint-mounted gun pods for a better center of gravity and aerodynamics; 321 converted by Pacific Airmotive (Pac-Aero).

Fairchild AT-28D
Attack model of the T-28D used for Close Air Support (CAS) missions by the USAF and allied Air Forces in Southeast Asia, which were nicknamed "Tangos" by their pilots. It was fitted with six underwing hardpoints and the rocket-powered Stanley Yankee ejection seat;72 converted by Fairchild Hiller.

Just for clarification,

T-28D Nomad
T-28Bs converted for the USAF in 1962 for the counter-insurgency, reconnaissance, search and rescue, and forward air controller roles in Vietnam. Fitted with two underwing hardpoints. The later T-28D-5 had ammo pans inside the wings that could be hooked up to hardpoint-mounted gun pods for a better center of gravity and aerodynamics; 321 converted by Pacific Airmotive (Pac-Aero).

Fairchild AT-28D
Attack model of the T-28D used for Close Air Support (CAS) missions by the USAF and allied Air Forces in Southeast Asia, which were nicknamed "Tangos" by their pilots. It was fitted with six underwing hardpoints and the rocket-powered Stanley Yankee ejection seat;72 converted by Fairchild Hiller.

I've seen those comments and some about the Ravens ( http://ravens.org/ ) that flew T-28s.

But please read this link about the plane I put in the first post of the build thread that's where I "first" got the name "Nomad" but didn't put it on the build thread. I just want to make sure everyone agrees on using "AT-28D-5 Nomad" for my plane? I don't want to put North American" in the name it makes it too long. I want to start working on it so I want the project directory and plane name to be correct.

https://americanairpowermuseum.com/2018/05/11/north-american-28d-5/

Here's some more good information

https://flynata.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=812035&module_id=241059

Back