AT-28D-5

Humm.. "needs a little more brake pressure".. ha that went right over my head?

Now for the panel lines and rivets, yes they're on the fuselage and wings but the white washes them out except when you look at an angle across them. Have you downloaded the plane and looked at it in the Editor? You should be able to see them there.
Well it looks like you have brakes on it, so what I`m saying is that they don`t stop the plane very well, they work, just saying, they could work a little better, I`ve tried editing the pressure from 90 to 110, but it won`t let me save the change..??? Yes, I`ve downloaded it, and I do see the lines/rivets in the editor, but I don`t fly in the editor..... You were talking earlier about adding color to them, I`m thinking that maybe you should reconsider doing that on the white areas, so they stand out a little,..... as long as you`ve gone through the effort to make them, it would be nice to see them a little better, they look great (when you can see them) as does everything else, and it fly's great as well....You said "any comments welcome", so that`s just my .02 🪙....;):)

Well it looks like you have brakes on it, so what I`m saying is that they don`t stop the plane very well, they work, just saying, they could work a little better, I`ve tried editing the pressure from 90 to 110, but it won`t let me save the change..??? Yes, I`ve downloaded it, and I do see the lines/rivets in the editor, but I don`t fly in the editor..... You were talking earlier about adding color to them, I`m thinking that maybe you should reconsider doing that on the white areas, so they stand out a little,..... as long as you`ve gone through the effort to make them, it would be nice to see them a little better, they look great (when you can see them) as does everything else, and it fly's great as well....You said "any comments welcome", so that`s just my .02 🪙....;):)
Yes I want your comments I just didn't understand the brake thing. I was thinking about the prop so the brake comment confused me. Now I know what you mean. The brakes are okay for me and yes 100% is the most you can set them too. I guess you could try increasing the nose gear brake a little more but that would probably start making it nose over so I leave the nose brakes really low.

I did add a light gray color to "all" the panel lines and rivets in the white areas and you can see them more now than before but the white still washes them out. People didn't like the darker rivets so I lightened them up and if I make the panel lines and rivets much darker they start looking dark again. I think normal map rivets are a problem on white areas the gloss washes them out. I don't know what to do with them.

@asj5547 I played around with the smoke problem and I want to run this by you, and anyone else that wants to comment on it. I can use an Airspeed Sensor and a Modifier to "disable" the smoke until a certain airspeed is reached so there won't be any smoke while you're sitting on the runway or taxing around (below the airspeed limit) with the "smoke" on. SO.. does that sound like something that will fix the problem?

I modified the physics to do that and used 20 mph as the "enable" point so you can have the smoke on and sit on the runway or taxi around up to 20 mph before the "smoke" is enabled. It's kind of "abrupt" looking when the "smoke" comes on so what does "everyone" think? Should I do it OR just "disable" the smoke in the "physics" then I can "enable" it here easily after I release the plane. I don't want to have to add all the smoke stuff to the physics just to use it here.

HA.. I'm glad you mentioned the "smoke" problem because I would have never seen it. I always turn the smoke on after I take off and shut the smoke off before I land. So everyone please chip in on this one. Thanks !

I finished up the custom prop this morning. I think it looks nice, it finishes out the color scheme and also makes the prop shape correct.

SO.. I have another question for you guys please share your thoughts on this one. WHICH of the versions do you like the best. Radial or EP.

The Radial fly's a little slower and is a bit more docile in the air and sounds like a real plane.

The EP version is a bit faster and a little more aerobatic and is pretty much what everyone buys these days.

I guess the real question is which version would you download?

More seriously, as a new flier, I'm learning a lot from flying various models with differing flight characteristics because they help me to distinguish between my control inputs and the aircraft's capabilities, and I'm better able to select models that suit my mood from session to session. If I had to choose just one, I'd pick low and slow; but to quote Maverick (a character from Top Gun), sometimes "I feel the need, the need for speed!"

Last edited:
technoid, I just flew them both in the same session, and I must say that the engine sound on the original one is something I wanted to turn down, especially the idle sound. it's kind of noisy. nevertheless, they're both really fun to fly.

Turning the smoke off with an airspeed sensor would be okay, would it be possible to hook the smoke to prop rpm instead, so when the prop stops rotating the smoke shuts off, I have no problem with smoke while taxiing or the model just sitting still on the runway, just that it looks a little strange with smoke and no prop rpm.

Thanks a lot guys. I ask that question because I was considering "not" releasing the Radial version.

I played with controlling the smoke and have physics that will control it with the Airspeed OR the RPM, either way works fine. But my worries are that people that download it won't know what's going on with it being enabled and disabled automatically, we've all seen tons of questions about everything recently so I'm not sure I want to add anything that enables and disables it automatically. I may just take it out completely or just disable it so the only thing I have to do is enable it here if I ever reinstall the plane from the swap pages. I guess I'd never do that so it's probably best just to remove the smoke completely the EP guys wouldn't like it anyway. This is a nice plane and I don't really want complaints about it or someone thinking it's a dumb thing to add to an EP version.

@asj5547 I went back and renamed the canopy glass to CS_GLASS_F, CS_GLASS_M, and CS_GLASS_R and rebuilt it and exported it so I could load it in RF-X but it didn't help any the canopy glass is still pretty much invisible. If you turn the plane some and look at the glass you can see the outline a little but the glass is mostly transparent. I remember this happening once before and I just made the glass in the Alpha Layer a little lighter so it wouldn't be quite as transparent but this time I want to keep it very clear in RealFlight 9 so I'm not sure if I'll change it. So it most likely will stay the same in RF-X so it can be as clear as it should be in RealFlight 9. Sorry about that I wanted it nice in both places too. But the real planes glass is very clear so I don't know if I'll tweak it or not. Sadly RF-X is pretty much dead.

I've done a few things to address some issues so I'm going to upload a new beta for you guys to test.

@uncle twist I went back and made the panel lines and rivets darker but not as dark as they were before I lightened them. Just so you know. In the beta you have now where you say you'd like them a little darker the Opacity of the Panel Lines and Rivets was set to "8%" so I increased the Opacity to "18%" and you can definitely see them better. But you need to remember that a White Background always seems to wash them out so please let me know "how you" like them in the new Beta. Are they better and you want to keep them that way or do you want me to go back to the lighter version like you have now. I need your thoughts on them. Thanks !!!

@asj5547 After thinking about the smoke control more I went ahead and added it. I definitely like to fly with smoke so I'm going to leave smoke in the release but you were definitely right about the smoke looking wrong when the motor isn't spinning. There's two ways I could have done it but I like to use the "minimum" smoke set at "2%" so when you shut off the throttle you still have a very light trail of smoke so I used an RPM Sensor to shut off the smoke when the RPM is "below 200". So after you land as the motor spins down the smoke will turn off at 200 rpm and stay off until you start the motor again. On my radio (Interlink-X) I can give it 1 click of throttle which is about 50 rpm but on the 2nd click of throttle the smoke starts. Please try this out and let me know if it works for you. And if the RPM I'm using seems right to you. I can tweak it if needed.

The truth is you can buy smoke kits for electric planes so it's not really that bad to include smoke on an EP. And a plane like this would be a prime candidate for a smoke kit. Aerobatics at a show type of thing.

Also the custom Prop I created is in this beta I think it adds a nice touch to the plane.

Flaps: Channel 6 Knob
Retracts: Channel 7 Switch
Smoke: Channel 8 3 Position Switch Forward (away from you)
Canopy: Channel 8 3 Position Switch Back (towards you)
Smoke Off and Canopy Closed: Channel 8 3 Position Switch in the Center.
Brakes: Down Elevator

T-28B Trojan 20% EP 05.jpg

Attachments

• T-28B Trojan 20% EP_EA.RFX
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
The new beta looks real nice, love the prop and the canopy glass is clear in 9.5 thanks again Tech. BTW it flies great too!

Last edited:
Well, I really just see a very slight difference, here are some pics., so you can be be judge...first one is the sunny side....second one is the shaded side, and the third, looking straight down on the right wing, where I can see them, but just barely. This is at flight school (not HD), Also, I`m aware about the white washing things out, that`s why I`ve brought it to your attention, perhaps some of the other s that have downloaded it can post some pics. for comparison, The prop looks excellent BTW... 👍👍

Attachments

• ScreenShot1651437457.jpg
    ScreenShot1651437457.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ScreenShot1651437249.jpg
    ScreenShot1651437249.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 7
  • ScreenShot1651437390.jpg
    ScreenShot1651437390.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back