AT-28D-5

@uncle twist Thanks for your thoughts on the panel lines and rivets cs I really appreciate them. Take a look at this picture and tell me if the right wing is a little darker than the left wing?

T-28B Trojan 20% EP 11.jpg

That looks real nice...!!!👍..You have one side of the fuse done yet..??
Actually that picture's from my post #357 just before I made the last beta. I wanted to show you how the right and left wings look different. I think it's a combination of two things, how perfectly square you're looking down on the plane and the Sun's angle. I looked at the Sun settings in the Flight School field and it was 55 degrees inclination and 130 degrees azimuth. When I set both of them to 90 degrees the wing was totally white. I really appreciate all the time you spent helping me but after working on it so much it's a "bust" to me. I've already went back and created a standard color scheme but I did add the cowl vent door and cowl exhaust port outlines I created but they're just painted on there's no normal map. But I'll put something together for those that want the panel lines and rivets it just won't be the release color scheme, but I do plan to release it the same day I release the plane.

I understand what you`re saying, I got to the same point with the F-86. White is a real hard color to deal with , especially with as much as there is on this plane and the way the sun reacts/reflects on it, it`s hard to find a good middle ground. You should have a lot easier time with the camo CS., just don`t use black for the lines and rivets, use a slightly darker color/shade of the color you`re coloring on, and it`ll look real nice.

I understand what you`re saying, I got to the same point with the F-86. White is a real hard color to deal with , especially with as much as there is on this plane and the way the sun reacts/reflects on it, it`s hard to find a good middle ground. You should have a lot easier time with the camo CS., just don`t use black for the lines and rivets, use a slightly darker color/shade of the color you`re coloring on, and it`ll look real nice.
Okay cool thanks for the pointers.

@uncle twist I did some research last night and way back in 2012 there was an RF 6.5 Art Tutorial written by one of the RF Artists and posted by Ryan and here's one part that interested me.

In RealFlight, we use the specular power value to govern how bright a highlight is, and gloss to govern both how sharp the highlight is, and how reflective an object is. The power and gloss numbers can interact with one another now as well. Turning up the power will increase the environment reflection, even if the gloss is low; it will just result in a blurry reflection. See the attached image for an example of this. From bottom to top, the rows have ascending gloss values, and from left to right they have ascending specular power values.

Here's the image that he talked about.

ScreenShot1349390315.jpg

I'm going to try one more thing that I tried before but I'll do it differently this time. I'm going to make the Spec Map ALPHA Layer have Totally Black Panel Lines and Rivets which will remove ALL GLOSS. Then I'll use varying levels of Gray Scale Panel Lines and Rivets in the Spec Map RGB Layer and see if that works. Then the color of the Panel Lines and Rivets will be controlled in the Main Color Scheme TGA with varying shades for the color for the Panel Lines and Rivets. This is a variation of what you did, but you did it on the Spec Map RGB Layer. So I'll invest a little more time in this CS and see if I can get it to work the way both of us want. I got this idea because today when I changed the Sun Angle to 90, 90 the plane became totally white which should be caused by the Spec Map ALPH Layer allowing a lot of Reflection, but the Totally Black Panel Lines and Rivets in the ALPHA Layer should Stop That. But right now it's time for something to eat and watch a movie with the wife.

Ha, I wish I understood different layers and how to use them, but life just doesn`t give me the time. It sounds like what your doing will give you a lot more flexibility between the panel lines/rivets and the white on the plane by isolating the two. Oddly, I was thinking along the same lines after you said that you were throwing in the towel, so, I didn`t want to bring it up, plus, I wouldn`t have known exactly how to explain it to you because you and me adjust gloss/brightness/reflection in a different way, but you understand more of how I adjust things, more than how I understand how you adjust things in terms of gloss....ANYWAY, I can`t wait to see what you come with in the end, I`m just glad that you`re not giving up on the lines and rivets, they`ll look real nice, I`m sure, and worth the effort... ;) ;)

Well I tried out my changes tonight but sadly nothing changed and I'm confused why. I even drew a large black square that covered all four wing parts in the RGB and ALPHA layers and the wings still turned completely white when I moved the Sun to 90,90 (straight above). But to me if I completely black out all four wing halves the rivets should have "NO GLOSS or POWER" using the terms from the Art Tutorial so they should show no matter what the Sun is doing (overhead or angled). So I'm back where I was. I'm guessing the RF lighting englne is getting saturated by all the light and isn't able to resolve it (but that's just a guess). Anyway what I expected to happen didn't so I'm back to dumping this color scheme for the panel lines and rivets. I think I need to do something like the third picture with a gray plane.

Here's some pictures. One with the Sun at the default location and one with the Sun at 90,90 which should be directly overhead. The second picture has the wings covered with completely black squares in the RGB and ALPHA layers. Then a color scheme that should work for the panel lines and rivets but without the armament.

ScreenShot1651723284.jpgScreenShot1651724373.jpg

Attachments

• t28bcfs (4).jpg
    t28bcfs (4).jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Well, I was keeping my fingers crossed, I still think you should release the CS with the best results that you think that you can get, The pic. you have in post #365 looks real nice, so I would say release it with whatever you did to achieve that result for this CS. After all, it is one of the most recognizable CS`s for the T-28....Then do the Camo, or the gray one you have pictured, they`re both real nice CS`s for the plane

Well, I was keeping my fingers crossed, I still think you should release the CS with the best results that you think that you can get, The pic. you have in post #365 looks real nice, so I would say release it with whatever you did to achieve that result for this CS. After all, it is one of the most recognizable CS`s for the T-28....Then do the Camo, or the gray one you have pictured, they`re both real nice CS`s for the plane
Okay thanks. Yes that is the most iconic color scheme for that plane. I normally save all the source files for each beta I release so I have the PSD files for the color scheme in that beta so I could use them to create an add-on panel lines color scheme at release.

You know I should do that test again with the orange color covering the whole wing and see if moving the Sun still washes out everything.

Okay I had to know so I went back and made the entire wing orange and did the Sun test again. The Panel Lines and Rivets are the Same Color as the first test (c0c0c0) so they look pretty white on the orange wings but that's the same color they were on the white wings. The Spec Map RGB and ALPHA Layers are the normal Spec Map I'm using this DOES NOT have the Fully Black Rectangle Covering The Wing Parts so it's a Normal Test not an exaggerated one.

Here's two pictures with some interesting results. The first picture is Before Moving the Sun and the second picture is After Moving the Sun to 90,90 (directly overhead). You can see in the second picture how things are starting to wash out after the Sun is moved to 90,90 from the direct sunlight but it's what you'd expect, it doesn't washout everything like the test on the White Wings did. So there's definitely something going on with having stuff painted on a white color.

ScreenShot1651762433.jpgScreenShot1651762517.jpg

I went back this morning and did a modification to the new prop I made. After checking it against some of the built-in props the hub was a little bit thicker from front to back so I fixed that this morning. So I guess I'll make one more color scheme with the panel lines and rivets like I had on the last beta I uploaded and then release it with two add-on color schemes, the normal panel lines and rivets and the foam panel lines and rivets. The released plane will have a normal color scheme with only the cowl door and the detail around the exhaust ports. Then downloaders can pick which panel lines and rivets they want, a normal or foam look. Besides pictures don't really work that well for judging them you need to see them in person.

Last edited:
The last time I worked on the panel lines and rivets cs I made two layers, one for all the panel lines and rivets on the white area of the plane and one for all the panel lines and rivets on the orange area of the plane. That way I could tailor the color of those areas separately. So this morning I spent some time changing the colors in both layers (white and orange) to get them to always show when you're looking at them standing over the plane but as light as I could get them. Of course since the white area is so hard to see they ended up a little dark-ish but no darker than the ones I saw recently in legoman's build thread for the P-51. I don't have any pictures to share but they're as good as I can get them and keep them visible all the time like you'd want them to be. Besides pictures don't really work that well for judging them you need to see them in person.

Last edited:
I need some help again. A while back @space boy mentioned the T-28B Radial was really loud and I always thought it was loud too but I just adjusted it each time I flew it, which I have to do to my games too. Anyway since I'm finally getting close to release I decided to play with the sound level to see if I could find a volume level to use in the physics. But since sound volume is a very personal thing I thought I'd see if any of you guys want to try going into the Physics and adjusting the Engine Sound Volume percent and give me what you think is the best setting. It defaults to 100% so I played with mine and ended up thinking I needed more opinions than mine. Just try a few different volume levels and tell me which one you like the best.

The idea is to get a Engine Sound Volume % that would make the T-28B radial engine volume about the same level as the built-in planes so you don't have to adjust the volume when you fly it. Thanks for any help.

Engine Sound Volume.jpg

Last edited:
I set it at 60% and that was still too loud compared to others, so I set it at 50%. That works well in my opinion, because it's not overly loud, while still allowing the characteristic sound of that engine to come through.

Back