Beginners guide to Aircraft Modeling for RF6/7?

petetp

I am an experienced 3d modeler. I really want to work on adding some aircraft to our little community.
Is there a good resource to get a beginner up to speed?
I have recently started by trying to teach myself how to alter and adjust some flight characteristics of a couple of incomplete planes that I have found on this site.
I'm hoping that there is a good all in one starters guide?

The designer forums for versions of realflight G4 and up have tons of information available. The major limiting factor is the availability of the compatible 3D design software required for the KEMAX exporter. You will need a copy of 3dsmax 2012 32bit. If you don't already have that version, you won't be able to export into realflight. There's the Blender option but that also requires a older version of blender and a even more limited poly count limit. We are expecting a new exporter later this year that will probably work with later versions of 3dsmax however the models it will allow would probably only work with RF8 when it's released. Another option would be for you to create your models and have someone here run it through their copy of 3dsmax 2012, and get it into realflight. There's a few people here that still can do it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I will look through G4 forums then. I do think I still have my copy of 3DS Max 12 somewhere? I guess I'll need to find and download KEMAX then.
Thank you!

Click the support link at the top of this page, it will lead you to where you can find the KEMAX downloads. It is important that you have the 32bit version of Max, the exporter will not work with the 64 bit version of Max.

Like has already been said you need 3ds Max 2012 32-bit edition to model for RealFlight and the newest RealFlight Exporter that allows 27,000 triangles, the older version is capped at 20,000 triangles. When I started I used Boof69's realflighboxtrainer video to learn the basics of getting a plane built and imported into RealFlight so that might be a good starting point for you. Boof69 has lots of videos on YouTube that teach different parts of modeling in RealFlight, like Mapping after you get the plane designed. His videos is probably all you'll need since you're already a professional 3d designer. Here's links to the exporter page and Boof69's video. The exporter you need is at the top of the page in the link I posted.

KEmax Toolkit - RF7 (3DStudio Max 2012)

Download the KEmax Toolkit which contains the exporter plugin for 3dsmax. This version is compatible with 3dsmax 2012 only.

http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/downloads.php

Start with the box trainer video Technoid linked. Follow it and you will get a model into realflight.

That's correct, that's the video I used to create my first model and import it into RealFlight. I started and stopped the video and built the plane with the video so in the end I had a plane in RealFlight. A very simple plane but it has all the parts and fly's.

Back