Best transmitter to use with RF evolution

rcfreak541

Hey guys i have a few questions about transmitter. I'm currently looking to get back into rc helicopters i have a spektrum DX5e that i used to use for blade helis probably 10 years ago. I'm going to be downloading RF from steam as my PC does not have a cd rom on it. I am thinking it may be best to purchase a new transmitter and use the USB dongle with it. Which transmitter would you recommend to do this with? I will likely purchase a blade heli at some point and they all spec out 6 channels on their website so i would like to stick with a 6 channel or up model. Thanks!

If you buy an NX6 or NX8 you can directly connect using a usb cable, no special dongle required. That said, I have the InterlinkDX controller specifically for RealFlight and it works great. It also has the switch setup that fairly well mirrors a real Spektrum TX. Just my opinion.

InterLink DX will be the easiest one to set up with RealFlight, because you just plug it in and the controls are all set up for it the way RealFlight expects. Every switch, button, lever, and knob is programmed to do something with RealFlight, which in a way makes it equivalent to about a 20 channel radio.

For a field radio, I'd never suggest anything less than eight channels. In Spektrum's lineup, the best value right now for a new radio is the NX8. For the small cost difference from NX6 to NX8, the NX8 is well worth it. NX7e is a bit cheaper than NX6 but has quite a few features removed to try to lower the cost. Horizon's BNF planes and helicopters are configured to work with six channel as much as possible, but they create some limitations when they do that. Six channels was "the norm for beginners" for a long time, but now that receivers have programmable features such as flight modes and gyro tuning, six isn't enough to really enjoy what you're doing without unnecessary hassle.

Six channels will be really limiting with RealFlight, too. The USB wireless receiver dongles are limited to eight channels, so if you want to go wireless, you can't use more than eight. All NX radios can be used with RealFlight via USB, and you can use all 10 or 20 channels of an NX10 or NX20 that way.

Back