Blender 3DS export project

that blender 3ds export is not need since rf can import fbx's and blender can export them. I have figured out the multiple nup commands on one object.
thanks, legoman. I understand that 3DS Export isn't needed anymore because of FBX support, but is the method of setting the rotation axis described in that post still accurate?

thanks, legoman. I understand that 3DS Export isn't needed anymore because of FBX support, but is the method of setting the rotation axis described in that post still accurate?

set the origin of the object to the desired pivot location and rotate the pivot as desired.

control surfaces, wheels, non-symmetrical springy gear*, and "pivoting frames"(springs)** rotate on X
spinners and symmetrical springy gear* spin on Y
main rotors and tail rotors spin on Z

if I forgot something or have questions let me know

* Springy scale retracts operate differently moving linearly from the wheels pivot to its parent pivot
** not moveable pods moveable pods don't care

When you say "rotate the pivot as desired," do you mean within Blender or within the RealFlight aircraft editor? ?

rotate the origin in blender. RF will see the origin as the axes for rotation

example: Rotate the origin of the object so that the red axis is pointing in blender in the same direction as the hinge in blender. (and is moved to the hinge as well)

oh! excellent. thank you so much for explaining. now the other things that you said about x y and z make sense because those were the local axes of the origin, not global axes.

you said control surfaces rotate on the [origin's] x-axis. is that true even for the rudder?

yes all control surfaces use the X(red) axis. the rudder usually points up. For symmetrical parts right side aimed away from the root left side aimed toward the root. Nonsymmetrical surfaces always point away from the root.

Hmmm. When I export from Blender 3.* using Bob Long's plugin 0.3.1, I get this:
P: "UDP3DSMAX", "KString", "", "A+U", "1.0"
plus I get this from RF8 (See Image.)
I do convert Blenders Binary to ASCII using AD FBX Converter
Been following the examples here but no dice .. still.

Attachments

• RF8_Error1.jpg
    RF8_Error1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 8
Adding my 2 cents here:
For me I use
Blender 3.3
Bob Long's Realflight FBX Exporter. No need to convert FBX to ASCII the binary output works fine:
Blender33_NUPSetup.jpg
Here's a screengrab of how I setup the NUP_***s as Custom Properties.
Using the 'String' works for both Name and Number values.
Yet again Legoman gets my thanks.

I
@technoid I'm not that far ahead yet, but as far as I understand from my research it should be possible (maybe with some add-ons).

Just saw @legoman 's reply, you should trust him more than me ;)

EDIT: BTW, there's a great series of videos by @geofanatec on how to use blender for planes, even if it's not complete yet I'm learning a lot from these videos:

Hopefully he'll find some time to finish the series.
Is there a way of transporting geofanatec s videos so its not private? transport them here. Could you try that legoman ??

Back