Blender 3DS export project

"Size and stuff" is changed in the Real Flight editor. You don't need a third party program to do that.

The 3D source files are not readily available to end users. Theoretically you could ask the author of a swap page model, but most will not comply. I won't.

"Size and stuff" is changed in the Real Flight editor. You don't need a third party program to do that.

The 3D source files are not readily available to end users. Theoretically you could ask the author of a swap page model, but most will not comply. I won't.

Ok what I would like to do is double the size of the B17 Sentimental Journey for rf 4.5. So How would I go about that?

Ok what I would like to do is double the size of the B17 Sentimental Journey for rf 4.5. So How would I go about that?

Editor...

There are plenty of threads and detailed instructions about resizing planes here.

Hint: Search for "Real world physics".

Current Version: 0.99

For those interested in creating RF models using Blender, you are painfully aware of the issues with the current 3DS export files. The python export script contained several issues, primarily the node structure was not exported as part of the 3DS file. I have been working to fix these problems and have a functional script ready for public testing.

The attached zip contains an updated blender 3DS export script. Unzip the file export_3ds2kex.py into the blender scripts directory (C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts). This is the same directory that will contain the original 3ds_export.py file.

Once the file is copied, next step is to open blender. It will automatically add a new export option under File->Export, "3D Studio 4KEX".

I'll cover a few points in this thread:
1. Naming
2. Parenting
3. Pivot points

The end goal of this project is to completely eliminate the need for post-processing and to simply use the Knife Edge tool 3DS2KEX. i.e. No using 3D Studio, no use of Deep Exploration either.

Naming convention

The naming convention exported to 3DS and into the KEX file comes from the object names and UV texture name. Whatever name you give the object "Fuselage", "~CS_RMW", "~CS_RMA", etc are the ones you will see in the RF aircraft editor. Simply name your object what you would like to see in RF. This is done on the Object panel (F7) in the Buttons window. For example, "OB: ~CS_RMW"

The colour scheme name comes from the UV texture name. This is set on the UV/Image Editor window. When you texture map the model, open the TGA image on the UV/Image Editor window and the default name will be "YourFilename.TGA". Rename this to whatever you want the colour scheme to be called on import.

Updated Nov 7/07: Script updated to v0.94 with a lot of help from maxkop and his DG-800A model! Some highlights:
- Can now completely create aircraft model in Blender!
- Just run 3ds2kex to complete the process
- Rotations now work correctly for multiple levels of hierarchy
- Fixed material naming with UV textures
- Will only export UV textures (not the blender 'game engine' texture)
- Material reflectivity exported (e.g. Lambert shader)
- Material specularity exported (e.g. CookTor shader)
- Material alpha exported (aka Opacity for easy canopies)
- Note: Texture filenames must be less than or equal to 12 characters long (e.g. "12345678.tif") and must be in the same directory as the exported 3DS file for 3ds2kex to find the texture file

Once again thanks to maxkop for all the assitance and being the guinea-pig to iron out all the bugs in the script!! Look for his DG-800A soon!

Update Nov 12/07: New version 0.96 includes automatic creation of custom SUP file and is able to call 3DS2KEX utility for 1-click KEX file creation!
- Can include NUP_ parameters such as "NUP_LandingGear" and "NUP_MaxRotationXDEG", etc.
- Refer to page 2 of thread for screenshots and explanation
- Pending work on NUP parameters for lighting effects and smoothing. Might not be possible since 3DS2KEX does not appear to support these features (only in the 3ds max plugin...)
- NOTE renamed script so if you have the old version please delete the file '3ds_export_4kex.py' from blender script directory

Update Nov 12/07: Version 0.97 includes ability for alternate pivot objects.

Update Dec 16/07: Not a version update, just changed the attachment format. Script is attached as both .TXT file (place in Blender scripts directory and rename from .TXT to .PY). Also attached ZIP file with .G3X extension to avoid the forum's "corrupt archive" problem. Rename the .G3X file to .ZIP and extract the script.

Update Jan 20/08: Version 0.98. Lots of improvements:
1. Will detect ~CS_GLOBALOPTIONS object and will automatically copy any parameters of this object to all other objects
2. Objects can override the ~CS_GLOBALOPTIONS parameter with their own value
3. Objects can override their 'IsPivot', 'Pivot', 'Parent' and even 'Name' values in the SUP file by using a parameter
4. See the 3ds2kex output in the console window for blender, which uses the "-s -v3" command-line parameters to call 3ds2kex
5. Once you run the script once you will have a new option in the SCRIPTS CONFIGURATION editor which lets you turn on BETA 3ds2kex.exe features. This will include the "STRING:" "BOOL:" "FLOAT:" qualifiers in the SUP file.
6. Parent name: It will first use the value from the blender object hierarchy, next will use the CS_GLOBALOPTIONS Parent property (should never use this!!), finally will take the value from the object's Parent property

Update Dec 16/08: Version 0.99 updated with proper encoding. No longer throw error with latest version of blender.

how do you put export_3ds2kex.py in to the scripts folder because when i do it it dosent work.

See the first post of THIS thread. It has a tutorial pdf that walks you through getting Blender setup.

However, IF you are just learning to model, and just learning a program with NO experience using Blender, I highly recommend getting the student version of 3ds Max 2012. The student version is free, and is accepted by autodesk for us to use. I have proof direct from them. Blender will get you into RF, but is much more of a pain to get to that point. Not to mention that it is not supported by KE, and very little help will be available if you run into trouble..........even at their forums. I know from experience.

Fyi

So Long as your File is saved as Legacy Mesh Format{SaveAs.jpg} and it isnt a
mess of Ngon nastiness there are few if any problems bringing .blend files from
2.64 to 2.49b
Just checked with 2.64 and i can export without doing any
changes{ExportMetric2.49b.jpg}
*(For recent builds Textured Faces must be enabled in Edit Mode 4 proper display
of UV's in 2.49b)

In Object Mode For All Textured Objects Click Shaded Draw Type{see
Oject(F7).jpg}
In Edit Mode Using Face Selection Click on a UV Face,then Press "a" to Select
All Faces Click Tex & Alpha Buttons and then Press Copy active UV's Buttons in
the 'Texture Face' Panel{see Editing(F9).jpg}.Proper Display of Textures should
B Resumed

Python Does Not Need 2B Installed for a successful kex export,If Rayvels script
is properly installed/configured.

Attachments

• SaveAs.jpg
    SaveAs.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 21
  • ExportMetric2.49b.jpg
    ExportMetric2.49b.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Object(F7).jpg
    Object(F7).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Editing(F9).jpg
    Editing(F9).jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Good day. :D

I got a short question. Since 3DS Max refuses to make friends with my PC I was wondering if there will be a new 3ds2kex version for RF7.

Thank you for your answer! :D

Good day. :D

I got a short question. Since 3DS Max refuses to make friends with my PC I was wondering if there will be a new 3ds2kex version for RF7.

Thank you for your answer! :D

What issues are you having with Max? Also, you can model in a newer version of Blender and export back into 2.49b as long as the newer version isnt using bmesh. I used to model in 2.62 with no issues. I believe 2.63 incorporates bmesh, so I wouldnt go any higher than .62.

Can I fly the Compass Atom 500 in RF6.5 ?

This is the wrong thread to be asking this question but to answer your question. NO you cannot fly the Compass Atom 500 in RF6.5. It requires RF7 since it was created with more poly's than 6.5 can handle. You will need to upgrade.

Hello,

I'm interested in using blender create objects for my RealFlight 7.5 airports. Is export_3ds2kex.py still a viable option? I'm using Blender 2.78. I put export_3ds2kex.py next to export_3ds.py in C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_scene_3ds but didn't get a new export option on blender restart.

I hope this effort is still going; looks awesome!

Thanks

Ed

Hello,

I'm having the same issue as ed.slatt. I am using blender version 2.49b and after I extracted export_3ds2kex.py into the scripts directory and restarted blender, there was no new export option.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Blender2.49b still Workx

Put script here C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts
Download 3ds2kexbeta to somewhere you know where it is,such that you can refer to it's location with Blender2.49b's Scripts Window:Scripts > System > Scripts Config Editor > Export.(See Post #19 in this thread).

Also check Windoze isn't running interference on either "export_3ds2kex.py" script or "3ds2kexbeta" by right clicking on them & checking properties,unblock them if it is.
It works fine on Windows 7 Enterprise & XP.:)

ps you want the 32bit version of Blender NOT 64

Last edited:
Put script here C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts
Download 3ds2kexbeta to somewhere you know where it is,such that to it's location with Blender2.49b's Scripts Window:Scripts > System > Scripts Config Editor > Export.(See Post #19 in this thread).

Also check Windoze isn't running interference on either "export_3ds2kex.py" script or "3ds2kexbeta" by right clicking on them & checking properties,unblock them if it is.
It works fine on Windows 7 Enterprise & XP.:)

ps you want the 32bit version of Blender NOT 64

Where can I get the 32 bit?

Last edited:
Problem exporting from blender and converting .3ds file.

I am trying to develop a workflow to get an aircraft into RealFlight 8. However, despite using a legacy version of blender (2.45), I cannot get the special .3ds export script to display in File>Export>. Moreover, I do not know whether the compatibility issue that existed in the past is still a problem if I were to use a more recent version of blender. When I tried using the existing .3ds export script and typing the 3ds2kex.exe -v3 -s C:\yourmodeldirectory\test.3ds code appropriate to my file system into command prompt, I got the statement "File has no nodes" rather than the expected output explained in the tutorial. Can anyone help me understand where I have gone wrong, or whether this work flow is still possible on a Windows 10 based platform?

Problem exporting from blender and converting .3ds file.

I am trying to develop a workflow to get an aircraft into RealFlight 8. However, despite using a legacy version of blender (2.45), I cannot get the special .3ds export script to display in File>Export>. Moreover, I do not know whether the compatibility issue that existed in the past is still a problem if I were to use a more recent version of blender. When I tried using the existing .3ds export script and typing the 3ds2kex.exe -v3 -s C:\yourmodeldirectory\test.3ds code appropriate to my file system into command prompt, I got the statement "File has no nodes" rather than the expected output explained in the tutorial. Can anyone help me understand where I have gone wrong, or whether this work flow is still possible on a Windows 10 based platform?

Hey,
I tried this to and when I started Blender the console (cmd window wich opens wehen you start Blender) said that no "Python" Version was found. So I installed the right Python version and it finally worked.
Does anybody know a way with Blender 2.83?

Hey,
I tried this to and when I started Blender the console (cmd window wich opens wehen you start Blender) said that no "Python" Version was found. So I installed the right Python version and it finally worked.
Does anybody know a way with Blender 2.83?

The 3DS exporter was removed from Blender in version 2.80, but some folks working on restoring it. I snagged it from here https://developer.blender.org/D7454, but it suffers from the same "no nodes" problem as before. I'm working on applying the changes that work on Blender 2.49 to the 2.83 work in progress version.

Back