Blender 3DS export project

So, can I have one physical wing and two ailerons mapped to it? Or do I need to have two wing parts for two ailerons? (per side)

How about an all-flying stab? Any general pointers for that?

In the example, they have two stabs and two elevators. Can I have one stab and one elevator? I try to follow the naming convention. but what would you name a single elevator/stab? Or an all-flying stab?

Thanks...

RealFlight does not handle a one piece wings. RF likes to see both left and right wings. We name them Left Main Wing and Right main wing ( ~CS_LMW and ~CS_RMW )

Each wing, L or R, can have as many control surfaces ailerons, spoilers, breaks, and flaps as want. Each of these control surfaces will be the Child of the Wing. The Wing being it's parent in the Hierarchy.

Take some time to select a nice trainer plane with a simple wing play with it in the Physics editor to see if you can do what you want to do. Although you can not see changes to the model, the physics effect will be there. Then you know what you need to model.

Junkboy999 said:
RealFlight does not handle a one piece wings. RF likes to see both left and right wings. We name them Left Main Wing and Right main wing ( ~CS_LMW and ~CS_RMW )

Each wing, L or R, can have as many control surfaces ailerons, spoilers, breaks, and flaps as want. Each of these control surfaces will be the Child of the Wing. The Wing being it's parent in the Hierarchy.

Take some time to select a nice trainer plane with a simple wing play with it in the Physics editor to see if you can do what you want to do. Although you can not see changes to the model, the physics effect will be there. Then you know what you need to model.

I'm not so much interested in a one-piece wing as I am interested in a one-piece stab. Most (all?) of the DLGs use a simple stab. Some, like the Blaster2, use an all-flying stab.

What would be the naming convention for those parts?

You can model it to look like one, but cut in half so you have two sides of a stab. Name each side the correct name (~CS_LMHS, ~CS_RMHS) and in RealFlight's aircraft editor, you can set them to break apart together. Same goes for the elevator.

Last edited:
If anyone has checked lately, Blender 2.55 is set to be released soon. I have not checked to see if the original script will continue to work.

Does anyone know if the original poster is still around and still updating the script?

Not in quite awhile.............

rayvel
Last Activity: 02-03-2009 01:05 PM

Last edited:
I've tried maybe 10 different things and I can't get the script to show up in the 2.55 beta.

I think I'll check tonight on the Blender IRC channel and see if I can get some help on it...

The Blender 3ds2kex-script will not work with Blender 2.5. Blender 2.5 has a complete new source code based on a new phyton generation. The 3ds2kex-script was created for Blender 2.47/2.49/2.49b. Rayvel might be willing to write a new compatible 3ds3kex-script for Blender 2.5. But as long as there is not a stable and fully functional Blender 2.5 released creating a new 3ds2kex script is simply a waste of time (at least after my opinion). At the moment the Blender source code is changing every day.

BTW: Also documentation of the full source code of Blender 2.5 will probably be available soon after the release which would be a great help for rayvel...

Max

Last edited:
Not_Xptical said:
I think the best option at this time is to continue to develop in 2.4x.

You know that Blender 2.49b can handle 2.5-.blend - files? So you already can model, map and apply hierarchy in Blender 2.5 and than import that file into 2.49b where you can add the .sup-file properties directly (no manual editing of the .sup-file over an additional editor is required with the 3ds2kex-script).

So as long as it stays that way you can have fun in Blender 2.5 when creating your models. Only making the 3ds2kex-script compatible (via the source code) to Blender 2.5 won't do the trick, because also the User Interface and the setup of the script via the system script config editor has changed under Blender 2.5.

In the script config editor is the real power of the script embedded where you can choose which 3ds2kex.exe you wanna use (for G3.5 or G4.5/G5.5) and if Blender should create a .sup-file for you, reading out the hierarchy setup in blender and transfer it to the .sup-file including all rotational values for the retracts/gear doors etc.)

Blender 2.5 is a real new Blender and not a small bugfix or version step.

Max

Last edited:
Blender/Python ?

I'm having trouble with the export. Have blender 2.49b and python 26. When I try to export I get a Python script error:check console. I am very new to all this and am sure I've got something wrong. When I install blender without python it show a ton of export options which includes 3dstudio and it shows no error. When I install python I only get three export options. When I install the 3ds_2kex it shows up in the export but shows the script error with or without python installed.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Hi,

I'm having issues trying to get the export_3ds2kex.py to show up in blender 2.49b and wondered if anyone else has had the same issue.

I have installed python 2.6 and blender 2.49b and set the PYTHONPATH system environmental variable to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\bpymodules" .

When blender launches it states

Compiled with Python version 2.6.2.
Checking for installed Python... got it!

So I am assuming that I have installed correctly (or maybe not?).

I have also set the python scripts folder in blender to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\"

and saved as default settings.

I have also dropped the v0.99 file 'export_3ds2kex.py' from the start of this thread into the /scripts/ folder

However, when I go to the scripts window(Scripts > System > Scripts Config Editor), I cannot see the key: export_3ds2kex. Similarly, when I go to Export, there isn't a Export->3D STUDIO 2KEX (.kex) option, as described in the blender_tut.pdf on another thread.

I have also downloaded the 3ds2kex.exe from KnifeEdge and put this on my desktop.

Am I missing a step? Any help gratefully appreciated :)

Thanks for your help and the link abaser - a great document and a massive help.

I have finally managed to resolve the issue, but it is an odd one :confused:. I have included the resolution in case anyone has this in the future.

I originally tried to run blender on windows 7 Pro 64-bit, then retried on XP-mode under Win 7, but both times the export script 'export_3ds2kex.py' was not showing up on the export menu no matter how many times I re-installed blender/ran as admin etc.

Running out of options, I eventually right-clicked on the script 'export_3ds2kex.py' and chose 'edit in IDLE', which is the debug environment installed with Python.

I though I'd see if I could see anything that might be wrong, and chose 'run->check module'. This reported an error and that the script had mixed spaces and tabs and recommended i select all, then choose Format->untabify region and saved the script. I did this and then re-tried 'run->check module' and no errors reported.

I then returned to Blender and the menu option now appeared! <phew>

So, looks like when downloading (I used Google Chrome), the HTTP encoding of the file became somehow corrupt. Running the process above appears to fix this and I have just generated my first .3ds/.sup file - Yaaaaaay :D

trouble trying to get blender going

Hey guys n gals, I've been trying for over a week now trying to get blender to work so I can do some custom stuff and modify a few planes. My problem is even once I change the export_3ds2kex.txt name to export_3ds2kex.py and put it in the C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts folder I cant open any of the tga, dds or kex files. What is it that I'm doing wrong, I'm sure its something I'm doing for what ever reason so maybe a swift kick in the ^*% will get me going lol...

Blender is a modeling program where you create a model from scratch. If you want to edit an existing model, all you can do is change the color. For that, you need gimp or photo shop. There you use the tga files. Gimp is a free download as well.

To edit an existing model in other ways (adding/removing parts), you need the source file from the creator.

Last edited:
So I can't go in and change things around like size and stuff through blender correct. How do I find out where the source file is, is it in the downloads from the swap pages or do I need to email the person who loaded the file themselves?

Back