Blender 3DS export project

Ah! This is excellent news. I had actually started converting the 3ds export scripts myself. I managed to get 3ds2kex to accept the file too. This makes things a whole lot easier.

@pironamy in which version of RealFlight are you trying to import?

I've been trying to import fbx files exported from Blender 2.90 into RF 9.5, and I get this error:
RealFlight_ItuUL7Zyu7.png

I'm just in the learning phase, but I wanted to see if it works using Blender before I put lots of effort in it.
I've tried to follow the instructions by @bosshawg from this post, and I got the above error, maybe things changed since RF8:

I've also tried with the Nexstar blender file from the tutorial, same error.

Anyways, if you are able to successfully import into RF, please let me know how you did it.

Hello mmsq,

Did you try to place the texture file in the same folder as your .3ds / .fbx file?

Did you make sure, that all materials in the .blend file are referring to the correct file path of your texture file, before you export to .fbx?

Also keep in mind, that according to my knowledge RF 9/9.5 currently only supports .fbx-files created by 3dsmax itself. The .fbx files exported by blender might be different from the ones created by 3dsmax...

Greets,

Max

Hello @maxkop,

thanks a lot for your reply! The texture file was in the same folder as the .fbx file, however for some reason the materials were not linked to the texture file. As I was saying I'm in the learning phase, and I presumed that the blender files would correctly resolve the texture files located in the same folder, but it looks like that's not the case (though I saw something related recently in a youtube video, apparently there's a way to set up blender so that texture files use relative paths).

When I corrected the issue with the texture files I was able to import the .fbx without any errors, that's really great news, as I can't afford 3dsmax and Blender looks more than enough for what it's needed.

Cheers,
mms

Hello @maxkop,

thanks a lot for your reply! The texture file was in the same folder as the .fbx file, however for some reason the materials were not linked to the texture file. As I was saying I'm in the learning phase, and I presumed that the blender files would correctly resolve the texture files located in the same folder, but it looks like that's not the case (though I saw something related recently in a youtube video, apparently there's a way to set up blender so that texture files use relative paths).

When I corrected the issue with the texture files I was able to import the .fbx without any errors, that's really great news, as I can't afford 3dsmax and Blender looks more than enough for what it's needed.

Cheers,
mms
Can you set the Pivots in Blender too?

@technoid I'm not that far ahead yet, but as far as I understand from my research it should be possible (maybe with some add-ons).

Just saw @legoman 's reply, you should trust him more than me ;)

EDIT: BTW, there's a great series of videos by @geofanatec on how to use blender for planes, even if it's not complete yet I'm learning a lot from these videos:

Hopefully he'll find some time to finish the series.

Last edited:
Can an you set the Pivots in Blender too?

In former times when it came to pivots in blender and making use of the 3ds2kex-exporter script, one was forced to create a dummy - or an "Empty"-Object without mesh data in order to transfer its orientation to a parent mesh. The information in the .sup file was used to define which dummy object delivered the information to which visible object with mesh-data.

Meanwhile you can edit the pivot of an object in blender directly (see attached screenshot), so transferring pivot data or moving mesh data in edit mode and counter-wise moving the whole object itself until pivot and object orientation "fits" is no longer necessary.

Pivot_Transformation.png

What really interests me, whether the pivot information is correctly transferred to the .fbx-file created by blender and correctly imported into Realflight, or not?

Has somebody already tried it?

Greets,

Max

In former times when it came to pivots in blender and making use of the 3ds2kex-exporter script, one was forced to create a dummy - or an "Empty"-Object without mesh data in order to transfer its orientation to a parent mesh. The information in the .sup file was used to define which dummy object delivered the information to which visible object with mesh-data.

Meanwhile you can edit the pivot of an object in blender directly (see attached screenshot), so transferring pivot data or moving mesh data in edit mode and counter-wise moving the whole object itself until pivot and object orientation "fits" is no longer necessary.

View attachment 121276

What really interests me, whether the pivot information is correctly transferred to the .fbx-file created by blender and correctly imported into Realflight, or not?

Has somebody already tried it?

Greets,

Max

Looking at the Box Plane example it seems to be transferred correctly, but I'm still a newbie so I'm not sure, maybe I missed something (maybe you could you check it yourself, see the link to the Box Plane in post #123).

When I get to the point where I can import my own example I'll let you know.

Good deal so it's a full replacement for 3ds Max.

yes I have made a couple planes with. Although I have had some issues with Nup command on the gear doors or other object that require multiple NUPs, although single NUP commands work fine.

edit 2/15/2022 I would have fixed this sooner but I could not find this thread to correct my previous statement
I have figured out the multiple NUPs adding "&cr;&lf;" between any nup commands will seperate them in rf make sure to convert the binary FBX from blender to ascii otherwise rf has trouble.

example: NUP_MaxRotationX=90&cr;&lf;NUP_LandingGear=~CS_SG

Last edited:
Good deal so it's a full replacement for 3ds Max.
From your lips...

I truly love the community spirit that has done so much to advance computing and some of my favorite hobbies! Things have come soooooo far, but also full circle. I remember jumping in to program OS functions in the early days of Unix, just because there was a need in the community and I was able. So great to see that same spirit is alive and thriving all over the web!

Using various resources, I'm slowly learning how to use Blender to create aircraft for RealFlight. Here's a big question for which I've not yet found an answer:
  • Some parts (frames, right?), such as ailerons and rudders, need to pivot on an axis other than exactly X Y or Z. What in Blender indicates for RealFlight what that custom axis of rotation is?

Last edited:
Also, is this a good place to ask questions like that, or should I make a new thread?

EDIT!
I found the answer right here in this thread!
the link below will go to the section in this thread that discusses pivot points:

that blender 3ds export is not need since rf can import fbx's and blender can export them. I have figured out the multiple nup commands on one object.

Back