Blender-Deep Exploration export Tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win Hand

OK, in this tutorial I will explain how to use Blender and DE to create a usable .3ds file for the 3ds2kex converter. This is much easier to do then with Gmax.

Here are the list of things you will need:
1. Blender
2. 3ds2kex converter from KEmax
3. Deep Exploration ver2.0 or grater
4. Gimp

Here are the places you can find these items:
1. Blender:http://www.blender.org/
2. 3ds2kex can be found in KEmax:http://knifeedge.com/KEmax/downloads.php
3. Deep Exploration:http://superdownloads.uol.com.br/download/64/deep-exploration/
4. GIMP:http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Please note that you will need GTK+ 2 Runtime Environment in order for GIMP to work.

Here are the parts of the tutorial:
1.1 setup of all the downloads.
1.2 testing to make sure everything works and is running properly.
2. Exporting and importing/using the 3ds2kex converter to get a .kex and .sup file.
2.1 .tga file for the Texture of the object using GIMP
3. Screen Shots
3.1 questions!

Please remember to download and go through everything 2 times first before asking questions about this tutorial!

Last edited:

OK, after downloading everything you will need to install everything, 3ds2kex is a folder in witch you can not open, you use it in the DOS part of windows. First go to the Blender and install it. PLEASE go in this order:
1. Install Blender.
2. Install GTK+ 2 Runtime Environment.
3. Install GIMP.
4. Install DE.

After installation open all the programs and do a thorow test to make sure everything is set up and installed properly.

PLEASE remember to not mess with 3ds2kex converter, it is a DOS file to be used in the DOS part of Windows.

Make sure that all the iteams are working once again, remember the order because the most comon problem is GIMP not working.

OK, for the test we will not be using DE, GIMP, or 3ds2kex now. We want to make sure that Blender is working properly, so we are going to do a more physical test other then just opening and creating a single object.

First we will create a box witch should appear when you fist open Blender, but looks like a pink square. To rotate your screen press down on the scroll bottom of your mouse (middle button in between the right and left buttons) to rotate the screen. Make sure it is selected and hit the delete button on your keyboard. It should be highlighted in pink if it is selected. Now we want to go to add>mesh>box and you should see a box in the place of a round circle. This red round circle is where new objects will appear (look at screen shot 1 for this). Now we want to subdivide. At the bottom of your screen in the tool bar select edit mode and the hit w and select subdivide multi and select 4, now you will see the box with four lines in yellow going through it horizontally and vertically. Select one of the dots or vertices's of the box by clicking the right mouse bottom and all the lines will turn black and purple. Black lines, purple dots/ vertices's. (screen shot 2). Now you can pull or push that vertex in or out to make the box look like anything else but a box. Click on one of the axis signs near by to move the vertices's with the left mouse button. This is called the cursor.

OK, now after that you might want to know how to Size or Rotate just the object, you can also zoom in or out using the scroll button. Hit s in object mode to size up or down, press the r button and any axis letter to rotate your object on that axis. Here are some more interesting keyboard short cuts. Shift D will duplicate, hit w and you will pull up the Boolean tools/options, hit t and the texture space menu will show, hit g to grab and move, press v and you will pull up paint in the lower section of the screen, hit x to erase objects, press z to switch between wire frame and solid, hit a to deselect all or to select all, hit Ctrl j and you can join slected meshes, hit n to pull up the transform properties, hit i and you will pull up the insert key menu, hit u to bring up the single user menu. If you need more keyboard short cuts please tell me. All these keyboard shortcuts are used when you are in object mode. Here are the keyboard short cuts while in edit mode. Hit a to select deselect all objects in both modes, s is the same in both modes, hit y to split objects you joined, hit w to bring up the specials menu, i is the same in both modes, hit d to bring up the draw menu, g is the same in both modes, n is the same, hit h to remove all objects, hit f to make faces, hit p to separate joined objects, hit k to bring up the loop/cut menu, please tell me if you need more keyboard short cuts via PM.

To create a file that DE can open we need to export our saved file something.blend. Remember to make sure your file is selected and export in .3ds format. Now this is a .3ds format file but it is not usable for the 3ds2kex converter. Now before we export and open our .3ds file in DE we need to name the box what ever you like as long as it starts with ~CS_. In DE you will find that long names are cut and that a letter is ofter placed in front of it. (screenshot 3). Now we need to know how to name our object. Once again in the tool bar at the bottom of your screen, you will see the letter OB: and a name there that says Box. We need to delete this name and rename it ~CS_BOX or what ever you like. Save your file and the you are set to export it. (screen shot 4; all screen shot are the last tutorial post). Now go to file>export>3D Studio>something.blend(your file you saved). Remember to always pick to export it in the same folder all your plane stuff will be in my opinion, but you don't have too. Now open DE. go to file>open>your file.3ds. Remember the .3ds file directly from Blender is of no use. No you should have you object in the window to your right. Rename and delete all sub folders to your object. Rename your object back to ~CS_... instead of o~CS_... as seen in screen shot 3.once you have this you will need to create a bit map or a texture file to go along with your object. First double click the materials folder and then the material, the material properties appears and under maps select a .tga file that we will make in the below post. Now we have our first step done, now do the same for the explorer default by clicking on the same file in the pull down menu. Also make sure that any other material was deleted first in order for it to work properly. Now we can go to file>save as>.3ds>save, but make sure that when the 3D Studio Mesh - Export Properties appears that you go to Texture Maps and select TARGA image for the convert textures to drop down menu because the 3ds2kex converter only excepts TARGA image or texture file (.tga)

OK now click OK and close DE. Now open the Command Prompt usually found under accessories in your start menu. You should open like this with it saying:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\.........>
Now type this, C:\Documents and Settings\.........>cd Desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\.........\Desktop> appears. Now type 3ds2kex -v3 -s something.3ds with no spaces in between the>3ds2kex.

now this appears: Loading file something.3ds
Processing Materials
Material Material
Processing nodes
Node _Cube
Reading support file
Applying Properties
Applying Hierarchy
Removing pivot nodes
Applying node names
Counting polygons
RootFrame [0 polys]
_Cube [108 polys]
Writing kex
Model wing.kex has 108 polys
Done

Remember to always save your something.3ds from DE to your Desktop. Now you should have two files: Something.kex and Something.sup

BEFORE YOU DO THIS PART PLEASE VIEW THE POST BELOW ON HOW TO MAKE THE .tga FILE FOR YOUR OBJECT!

To create a .tga file through GIMP first open GIMP and open a new template setting the pixels to 2048x2048. Make sure that pixels are selected. Now fill the space in with any color you like and hit save as. Name your file what ever you like, but remember to select .tga file when saving it. Also deselect RLE compression as the simulator can't handle it but the 3ds2kex can. Once you save your file go to the above post and do as said. DO THIS POST BEFORE POST 2.

Questions

Please view this link to post your questions here!

If you need farther help or are interested in anything regarding 3D Modeling with Blender, Please VIEW my signature.

when you said you cant get the pics down to size to fit them on the program if you need the pic actully smaller in pixels and you have paintshop
go to image then resize then what you need to do is go to the size option and make the width and height smaller
these should go down together by them selfs this is so the picture doesnt get obscure
then look above this while your making it smaller it will say how many pixels aare in the pic
keep making it smaller untill both the height and width are smaller then this amount
then simply save AS i must repeat save AS if you still want the original image
if not just click save

Alex T :D :rolleyes: ;)

Rename your object back to ~CS_... instead of o~CS_... as seen in screen shot 3.once you have this you will need to create a bit map or a texture file to go along with your object. First double click the materials folder and then the material, the material properties appears and under maps select a .tga file that we will make in the below post. Now we have our first step done, now do the same for the explorer default by clicking on the same file in the pull down menu. Also make sure that any other material was deleted first in order for it to work properly. Now we can go to file>save as>.3ds>save, but make sure that when the 3D Studio Mesh - Export Properties appears that you go to Texture Maps and select TARGA image for the convert textures to drop down menu because the 3ds2kex converter only excepts TARGA image or texture file (.tga)

Im getting lost on the texturing stuff, gotten lost on the gmax tutorial, and this tutorial. Also, I dont think I have KEMax(dos version??) in the right spot or something, I believe I have the 9 one :confused:

Please ignore those post above and continue!! TEXTURE MAPPING

Texture mapping.

You will need AC3D and you can get it here: http://www.inivis.com/downloads.html

Unfortunately Blender at he time only UV maps, and that is much much much harder to do and I think no one that is a beginner will be able to do that part.

First off a tip: When you want to make all control surfaces exactly even when you have to move more then one at a time hold shift.

First open Blender and export your model in either .ac or .3ds format (.3ds recommended). Then go and open AC3D and go to File>Import>3D Studio Mesh and then locate your exported file. Then once it loads we will use the texture you made earlier for DE as long as it isn't wight in color. Then hold down ctrl and a to select all, then go to object>texture>load texture and then load a non-wight texture that is at least 1024x1024 pixels in dimension. Now press F10 to bring up the texture coordinator and then under remap an the left click top. Now remember where those wings are at. now go under your perspective view on AC3D and hold ctrl while selecting the fuselage, Vertical Stab, and Ruder. Remember to keep the Texture coordinator up. Now go back to your Texture Coordinator and hit left under the remap options.

You should now see the fuselage at the bottom of the Texture Coordinator. Now we want to go back to our Perspective and select one of the landing gears. You should now see a large view of it. Holding crtl, go to the corner of the green box around it and size it down.

Now we want to move this over into the corner of the Texture Coordinator. Now select the other 2 landing gears and do the exact same. By now you are wondering what happened to the other objects. Once you are done with the mapping of the wheels, go back to your Perspective and press ctrl a and you will see all your objects in the view again, but some of them have been rearranged because you did that moving them.

Now what we want to do is do the wheels, once again it will appear very big so you need to size it down by going to one of the corners of the green box around the object in the Texture Coordinator and hold ctrl while you click on it and size it down. It is OK to overlap the same objects like wheels if you are going to paint them all with the same color. It is also OK to do tha with the 2 back landing gears as they are usually the same, but different from the front gear. Now after resizing and moving the wheels around you want to go and select the engine of your plane, for instance, mine was a Brush-less motor. Now we want to size this down. If you can only see a very small part you will need to use the remap tools to look at it in a different view until you are happy with the way that you are going to be able to paint it. Then next you want to go back to your Perspective and select the motor shaft if you have one and map it be resizing and placing. Remember that different objects can not be overlapped, only the object that you are sure is exactly the same plus you might want to paint some of these oth objects.

Now, if you have any other objects you should map them. Because the other objects just go out of sight they are still there, but you need to keep a visual image in your head where the other objects are at so you don't overlap them.

Now we are pretty much done. Go back to your Perspective and select all again and now you should see all your objects. Now we want to make this screen as big as possible. then we want to copy image to clip board. Simply go up to the top left corner of the Texture Coordinator. Go to window>Copy image to windows clipboard.

Now we want to go back to GIMP and paste it there. For this reason we can use windows paint because the image is saved in a .bmp format which DE will use to map the plane. Remember when you save to select the TARGA (.tga) image conversion when you get to the second screen of the saving process. The 3ds2kex converter only handles .tga files. When you paste the image onto a Paint program, you might want to take the time and give it a quick color scheme. You might want to shrink the screen so that only the very outside of the template shows.

After that you will notice that once your plane is in G3 it turns all Blur, and has multiple colors. Copy and Paste is how we fix this. Keep a copy of your color scheme and then when you go and USE GIMP only, paste it there on the color scheme that RealFlight overwrites and select SAVE AS and then select replace and deselect RLE Compression.

Now we have our color schemes.

NOW THE ONLY REASON I SAID OU CAN USE PAINT IS TO SEE what it would look like in DE, but for KE ONLY USE GIMP or a paint program that saves in .tga or TARga image.

Last edited:
Win Hand said:
OK, in this tutorial I will explain how to use Blender and DE to create a usable .3ds file for the 3ds2kex converter. This is much easier to do then with Gmax.

Here are the list of things you will need:
1. Blender
2. 3ds2kex converter from KEmax
3. Deep Exploration ver2.0 or grater
4. Gimp

Here are the places you can find these items:
1. Blender:http://www.blender.org/
2. 3ds2kex can be found in KEmax:http://knifeedge.com/KEmax/downloads.php
3. Deep Exploration:http://superdownloads.uol.com.br/download/64/deep-exploration/
4. GIMP:http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Please note that you will need GTK+ 2 Runtime Environment in order for GIMP to work.

Here are the parts of the tutorial:
1.1 setup of all the downloads.
1.2 testing to make sure everything works and is running properly.
2. Exporting and importing/using the 3ds2kex converter to get a .kex and .sup file.
2.1 .tga file for the Texture of the object using GIMP
3. Screen Shots
3.1 questions!

Please remember to download and go through everything 2 times first before asking questions about this tutorial!
I looked at your site on recommendations of HX3D014 - Designer's Corner. I am very new to this site of which I wish to learn, (what have I done!).
On the very start of the info, 'Here are the places you can find these items', and started to download the same. The only problem was that the 'DEEP EXPLORATION.........' was written in a foreign, I'm stuck already, please help :confused:

one hand said:
I looked at your site on recommendations of HX3D014 - Designer's Corner. I am very new to this site of which I wish to learn, (what have I done!).
On the very start of the info, 'Here are the places you can find these items', and started to download the same. The only problem was that the 'DEEP EXPLORATION.........' was written in a foreign, I'm stuck already, please help :confused:[/QUOTE:
:( I asked you for an English version of 'Deep Exploration' And you answered my question by telling me you would sent me a copy. I have sent this request a few times since on your sight but no further info from you or the copy mentioned. Therefore I am trying on 'Knife Edge' for an answer. As I said before, I am looking forward to start to learning.

This sticky thread got me started working with Blender for export and was able to update the Blender 3DS export script so Deep Exploration is no longer necessary. Pivots, SUP, texture can all be done natively in Blender now.

For those interested in using Blender for creating KEX aircraft, please take a look at the Blender 3DS Export Project thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back